“Did we stay at the same Monarch???”
Review of Monarch Resort

Monarch Resort
Ranked #14 of 17 Hotels in Pacific Grove
chicago
“Did we stay at the same Monarch???”
Reviewed 23 September 2007

We stayed at the Best Western Monarch this past week for two nights. After reading the reviews before we left home we were afraid of what we would find. However, we were very satisfied with our stay. We had a second floor room. There were no musty smells, no mold and the rooms and hallways were clean. The bedspreads and drapes were a little old compared with our usual Hampton Inns, but it was fine for our needs. The complimentary breakfast was mostly pastries but we had our cereal and coffee. Goes to show you different people have different views. We are pretty fussy and would not have stayed if we saw or smelled mold, believe me.

• Liked — good location
  • Disliked — breakfast
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Toronto
Reviewed 5 August 2007

Where do I start.? This was the most horrible experience I have ever had in a hotel. I am astonished that Best Western would put their name to this place and that they call themselves a resort, it is more like a $40 road side motel that you can rent by the hour. From start to finish this "resort" has been a nightmare. I am sitting here in my room now unable to sleep because of the noise and filth of this room. To start it stinks, smells like a musty basement. There was a dead bug in one of the luxurious plastic glasses they offer here at this "resort". There is hair and dust an inch thick in on the matress and bed frame which are both visible because of the poor fitting ratty bed skirt. The bathroom is moldy. The decor is from the 70'sat best, the curtains are filthy. The complimentary breakfast was a joke, they have a coffee maker from before the war with hot water and instant coffee added. It was so disgusting, I was so turned off of this place there was no way I was standing in a line in the hallway with the other guests to eat the toast and hardboiled eggs they were offering. Not to mention the iron was chained down also usually found in $40 motels not a resort. The noise was unreal as well it is nowhere near a busy road because traffic could be explained but you heard other peoples conversations and every step they took above us and a lot of noise from the room next to us, I am sure this property has very little to no insulation. I would not recommend staying here ever, if I could of got out of our 2 day commitment I would have preferred to sleep in my car. Do yourself and family a favour don't ever stay here.

• Liked — absolutely nothing
  • Disliked — everything about the room
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
5 Thank RichandVic

Travellers are raving about these Pacific Grove hotels

Bourbonnais
Reviewed 9 July 2007

Unless you like a room that is dark and smells like grannie's house after it has been shut up for two months move on. How this place is called a resort is beyond me.. The only thing they have is a pool I would not let my dog swim in. The rooms have a great view of the parking lot and the apartments around it.. I walked into my room and walked to the front desk to ask for my money back. Guess what? i
It cost me $162.00 plus tax not to stay there and was worth every penny.

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — smelly room
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank mustardman01
West Wokkington Falls, MN
Reviewed 1 July 2007

This place looks just OK on the outside and is located in a great place near the butterfly sanctuary, near 17 Mile Drive, near the Ocean and near Asilomar. That's the only good thing about it.

This place could use MAJOR renovation. Rooms are moldy-smelly, and small and DARK. We were promised a room with a desk (via phone) and then when we arrived, there's no such thing. Several other people were leaving, having seen their rooms, as we arrived.

They charged us for a full night's stay although we did not choose to stay. We'll be disputing the charge with our credit card provider and also informing Best Western that their quality control ("Three Stars" --- are they kidding?) needs work

Avoid this place like the plague.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank GonzagaBoy
San Jose
Reviewed 22 September 2006

Old peeling wall paper, mold on the bathroom walls, key cards that work very poorly, and a less than clean room with a musty smell was what welcomed us in this hotel. I did get to use the staff refrigerator and was horrified at how dirty the staffing area was....unbelievably gross. The continental breakfast was okay, very starchy, and again, not very clean or sanitary. The wine and cheese was more like grape juice and cheddar and jack cheese. The only positive is that it is about a 10 minute walk to the ocean.

The hotel description calls itself luxurious....not even close. I would say it's a no star hotel.

I would never stay in this hotel again under the current management and owners.

Stayed August 2006
5 Thank realvacation
Toronto
Reviewed 22 August 2006

We were so disappointed with our recent stay at the Monarch Inn (July 2006), that we feel compelled to share our experiences. Perhaps other unsuspecting tourists can be prevented from going there after reading this and other reviews at TripAdvisor, which we found - in hindsight - extremely accurate. From the odd red wine/punch/water mix for the afternoon social to the 70ish room-decor and bedding which had never been updated, from the expired elevator license to the tupperware battlefield which went under the heading of "Deluxe breakfast", from the burnt smell of the in-room coffeemaker to the obvious lack of any noise insulation --- this Inn can not keep up with contemporary hotel standards, it is "retro" at it's worse. We are well travelled and don't mind simpler hotels if context and price are right, let's say at a small road side motel in the hinterland, but this Pacific Grove "Resort" is nothing but a money-trap, price and service/amenities are incomprehensibly mismatched. The Monarch Inn definitely needs to reinvent itself under new management. Why, the question comes to mind, is this establishment allowed to be part of the otherwise quite reliable Best Western franchise? We will forward our concerns and hope for a satisfactory and definite answer concerning this issue.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — amenities
  • Tips/Secrets — avoid
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
8 Thank ettenna
Portland, OR
Reviewed 24 July 2006

The only good thing about this place was we didn’t have to stay there. We made a reservation in January for a room for one night at the end of March. After reading some of the glowing reviews about this facility we quickly cancelled our reservation four weeks in advance.
My wife didn’t like the idea of bloody drapes and dirty socks. When I called to cancel the woman that took the call said no problem and gave me my confirmation number. We made reservation at the Normandy Inn in Carmel which was a very nice facility. After returning from our trip I noticed we had been billed $110 for one night lodging at the Best Western Monarch Resort. This is where the nightmare begins.
I called and talked to the desk clerk and he said that the cancellation number that I had been given was not a number that they used and that I must have made my reservation with Best Western’s national number. I told him that the only contact about this reservation was with them directly. I gave him my original confirmation number and the cancellation number. He said that they had no record of either. I told him after much haranguing that I was surprised that he was telling me that all these numbers meant nothing and the only numbers that they seemed to be able to comprehend were my VISA card numbers. I asked to speak to the Manager (Roxanne) he told me she was out and wouldn’t be back till the next week. I asked to speak to the owner and was told he was unavailable also.
I contacted Best Western Customer relations and they told me the cancellation number that I had was not one of theirs and it must the Monarch Resorts. They basically weren’t much help. I contacted AAA about this facility and filed a complaint with them. I then located my cell phone records and found the dates I had made the reservation and the cancellation. AAA contacted them telling about the phone records, Roxanne told them that just because I had called doesn’t mean that I had called to cancel.
I contacted our financial institution about the matter and they put a fraud alert on the transaction. They said it would take up to a month to rectify the matter. I provided them with the statement and the phone records to verify my side of the story.
My wife works at a major company and her travel department went to bat for us. They contacted the Monarch Resort directly and were rebuffed. They contacted Best Western Customer Relations and got nowhere.
All this for $110. It had gotten to the point where it wasn’t about the money, it was about the principal. I had spent a lot of time and energy fighting this charge.
Finally the squeaky wheel got some grease. My wife’s travel department contacted the office of the Vice President of Best Western and they reimbursed our account. This after over a month of phone calls and faxes. It was the most frustration thing I’ve ever dealt with.
I caution anyone making a reservation at this facility that you had better plan on staying there because you’ll have better luck getting water out of a rock than to get your money back from this place. Almost everyone who contacted this place about this matter said that the response from anyone they talked to was condescending and rude. I’m not saying that they are a bunch of liars, thieves and crooks, but they are darn close. BEWARE DON’T STAY THERE.!

Stayed June 2006
Lighthouse Lodge & Cottages
Lighthouse Lodge & Cottages
#13 of 17 in Pacific Grove
Best Western The Inn & Suites Pacific Grove

Been to Monarch Resort? Share your experiences!