“Looks nice inside and out...not as functional as I would like.”
Review of Sunset Inn

Sunset Inn
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Pacific Grove
Reviewed 2 August 2010

Looks nice...looks clean...although we found a half eaten doggie bone that got pushed under the bed! Nice new bathroom...but totally disfunctional...NOWHERE to hang or put any of the bathroom items you need. Needs a little shelf or table...had to put a towel on the toilet to have somewhere to put my curling iron and blow dryer!
Barbara was nice...let us change rooms to have more light.
Breakfast was an absolute let down...not even hot water for the tea or oatmeal. She had to bring it to me in a cup from the back room! I think the breakfast needs a HUGE make over...barely makes it to the "continental" status.
So, the place is nice..if you don't need windows that open (no screens!) and if breakfast doesn't nmatter. It is newly decorated and clean.

Reviewed 1 August 2010

We stayed four nights in rm. 106. I was very disappointed with the size of the room as it was very small, 11’x17’. It did not have a bureau so we were forced to live out of our suit cases for four days. The bathroom had two very small shelves, 10”x4”, and they did not provide enough room for our toiletries.

Reviewed 28 July 2010

I booked one month in advance on the hotel's website. I recieved a confirmation email with a confirmation number, the hotel showed up on my credit card bill in June. I also recieved two subsequent emails encouraging me to call should I have any questions, I did not call since I had my reservation and no further questions. We arrived at the hotel on July 18th, to find that I had no reservation at all. I showed the woman at the front desk my confirmation email, she used the number on it to pulll my information from the hotel's website, confirming that I had booked a room. The woman told me "Your lucky we still have a couple rooms, but we don't have the jacuzzi room that you wanted." She said sorry, but did not appear appologetic, then said, " I don't know what happened. You can pick from one of those two rooms over there and see which one you like best, if you still want to stay" while she pointed waving her finger at some rooms across the driveway.
I just couldn't help wonder how they could bill my credit card if I had no reservation in the first place. When my friend arrived her reservation was correct, but they tried to bill her room to my husband's credit card as well. Our toilet almost overflowed in the middle of the night, the water sat 1 centimeter from the top of the toilet, we tried to call the front desk for help, but nobody answered. We were fortunate that the water went down on it's own. We also found that expedia guests are able to OVERBOOK the hotel on the expedia website. I am left with the impression overall that the booking process at this establishment is very unreliable. If you book online, you have to call to confirm your reservation and hope that you have one upon arrival. The rooms are pretty though.

4  Thank CaliforniaCouple30
SunsetInnPG, General Manager at Sunset Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2010

Dear Guest,

I apologize for the inconvenience we caused you. Expedia is a third party booking engine and the overbooking errors are due to their system, not ours. Trust me when I say we have continually contacted Expedia to rectify the solution. Nevertheless, I understand your frustration and we will continue to try to do better in an effort to help avoid potential issues like this in the future. We hope you do try and give us another chance if and when you decide to return to the Monterey Peninsula. Please accept our most sincere apologies. Thank You.

Reviewed 28 July 2010

Absolute best value I've found on the Monterey Peninsula. The beds and the bathroom were incredible. I loved the fireplace and the refrigerator in the room. Parking was free and easy. The location was ideal- we were a couple blocks from the ocean, and a couple miles from the Bagpiper and Peppoli at Spanish Bay. It was fun to watch deer walk right down the middle of the street in front of the inn. So peaceful and calming, I will definitely return. My only suggestion might be to add bathrobes?? :)

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 July 2010

Having stayed in Monterey / Pacific Grove before, I knew I wanted my wife and I to be in the area near the lighthouse for the convenience. I chose Sunset Inn based on familiarity with the area and the reviews on Tripadvisor. I would agree that many of the statements regarding street / driveway noise are quite true, unfortunately. The driveway in the property is bricked, and the worst noise by far is the sound of the housekeeping cart wheels early, early in the morning. Also, if guests start their vehicles near your open window, it sounds as if the car is on your lap at times. Traffic noise on street not too bad. One more negative is that some of the smaller rooms (we initially were given room 102 but chenged to room 108) are QUITE small, with hardly any room for much besides the bed and door. And yes, the wood veneer floors can be noisy for you and your neighbors, and yes you can sometimes hear others' conversations since the windows are nearly always open.

That is where the negatives end, however, and if you happen to get a room like room 108 (LOTS of airy windows and no one above or below you), this will MORE than make up for any noise issues. Barbara was quite helpful and friendly throughout our stay and helped us with some ideas and directions. The housekeeping staff are all extremely kind and respectful (and also full of good local tips!). By far, the location is unbeatable. We were able to walk to the beach and lighthouse every day in a matter of 5 minutes down a quiet residential street next to the lighthouse and golf course. If you don't mind a bit more walking, we also were able to walk down to the aquarium area along the beach path (about 2-3 miles). Shopping for wine / food / odds and ends is an easy drive up Sunset drive, or even better, down Lighthouse avenue into wonderful Pacific Grove (watch out for the deer--they roam all over). Speaking of Pacific Grove, you MUST eat at the Red House Cafe--food superb and staff treat you like family.

So overall: bed very comfy, nice flat screen tv in room, free wireless internet, tasty muffins / bagels and coffee in morning, kind staff, clean rooms, perfect location, nice showers, and other than a bit of noise for a few moments at times, no complaints.

Reviewed 16 July 2010

My husband and I stayed at Sunset Inn to celebrate our 19th wedding anniversary and we could not be more satisfied or more pleased with our experience there. The distance from the 'popular' places was perfect and each evening we were so happy to come back to peace and tranquility. There was absolutuely nothing wrong with our room, everything was clean, the 'rain' shower was great, the bed was very comfortable. I don't think I can add anything more except to say we can't wait for the next time we're able to stay there. I also cannot complain about the complimentary breakfast. My husband loves bagels, oatmeal, yogurt, orange juice, & coffee. We always take our own muffins and fruit wherever we go, so it was fine. I guess that's it. We loved it!!

1  Thank ortizbren
Reviewed 15 July 2010

After exhaustive research on hotels, I came across this one and I could not have been happier! The room was gorgeous, the pictures you'll come across actually don't do it justice. My tastes are very simple, but anyone not pleased with this hotel probably had an isolated incident. I can't find anything that was remotely negative. The staff was very nice, the room was immaculately clean, and there was such attention to detail with the remodel. The hardwood floors were a huge plus. The bed was amazing and there was a mini refrigerator. My only suggestion would be if you don't need the refigerator, unplug it, because it was a little noisy. It was a 5 minute walk to the beach and a 5-10 minute drive to Cannery Row. I would highly recommend this hotel to everyone I know.

1  Thank nancye01
#4 of 17 in Pacific Grove
Lovers Point Inn
Lovers Point Inn
#7 of 17 in Pacific Grove

Been to Sunset Inn? Share your experiences!