“There are better in PG”
Review of Sunset Inn

Sunset Inn
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Pacific Grove
Reviewed 24 August 2010

Firstly, do not use the online booking engine; unreliable. I booked one room and got confirmation for two reservations. So I cancelled one. 4 days before my trip, I was told both res were cancelled! No apologies from the management. They could only rebook me for part of my trip because they were "sold out" the last day. I found out later they actually had a room but it was pricier than the room I booked. So not only did they lie, but I was left to fend for myself during Monterey Auto Week when all hotels are booked solid. Seems they should've given me the other room since it was their booking engine's fault to begin with. To top it all off, upon check in my pillow case was covered with at least 10-15 hairs (although they did promptly come to change it). There was a crumpled sheet and blanket in the closet (used???), and the window sill in the bathroom was covered with dirt. The rooms have thin walls; I could hear banging and talking from the room downstairs and outside. Luckily the last night we found a B&B which is to die for! And for a lowe price!!! Check around in PG before booking here...please!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank vashya
PGSunset, Owner at Sunset Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2010

Dear Guest,
Only 1 reservation that was made in addition to its subsequent cancellation. Both reservation and cancellation were made on 1/24/10. So, as of 1/24/10 your reservation was canceled per your request. If you have a record of something different please contact the Inn.
As for the housekeeping issue we are extremely apologetic for what transpired. Rest assured I have spoken to management as well as housekeeping about this issue.
Owner

Reviewed 16 August 2010

We've stayed at several different facilities in Pacific Grove, and this one has been the most pleasant. Just blocks from the shore and wonderful walks. The rooms were very clean and there was plenty of room. Perhaps the only complaint would be that the walls are a bit thin, so we did get more noise from the adjacent room than I would have preferred. In any case, a pleasant and comfortable place to stay in Pacific Grove

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 August 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Sunset Inn for 4 nights at the end of June 2010 for the beginning of our honeymoon.

We paid about $140 per night for a king room which was a good value. Our room was just above the office and did not share any walls with any other rooms - this is just what we wanted.

It is very easy (and quick) to get to Monterey or Carmel from this property.

Positives:
--Clean, fresh, large room
--Fairly comfortable bed
--Windows easily open for fresh air
--Hardwood floors
--Close to beach
--Quiet, peaceful property
--Refrigerator in room

Negatives:
--Our "rain" shower. Ug. We loved our stay and are still glad we chose this property, but unfortunately, the shower was so painful we would not stay here again. The water pressure was very low and the shower head is too high. The water comes out in a trickle and it is very difficult to thoroughly rinse out all of the shampoo from one's hair. Maybe there is not this type of shower in the other rooms.

The inn is recently refurbished and they have done a great job. Everything feels fresh and clean. I do think our stay was special though because of our room. Ours was very large but I don't think we would have been as happy in one of the other rooms - well, for our honeymoon anyway. :)

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2010

Looks nice...looks clean...although we found a half eaten doggie bone that got pushed under the bed! Nice new bathroom...but totally disfunctional...NOWHERE to hang or put any of the bathroom items you need. Needs a little shelf or table...had to put a towel on the toilet to have somewhere to put my curling iron and blow dryer!
Barbara was nice...let us change rooms to have more light.
Breakfast was an absolute let down...not even hot water for the tea or oatmeal. She had to bring it to me in a cup from the back room! I think the breakfast needs a HUGE make over...barely makes it to the "continental" status.
So, the place is nice..if you don't need windows that open (no screens!) and if breakfast doesn't nmatter. It is newly decorated and clean.

Reviewed 1 August 2010

We stayed four nights in rm. 106. I was very disappointed with the size of the room as it was very small, 11’x17’. It did not have a bureau so we were forced to live out of our suit cases for four days. The bathroom had two very small shelves, 10”x4”, and they did not provide enough room for our toiletries.

Reviewed 28 July 2010

I booked one month in advance on the hotel's website. I recieved a confirmation email with a confirmation number, the hotel showed up on my credit card bill in June. I also recieved two subsequent emails encouraging me to call should I have any questions, I did not call since I had my reservation and no further questions. We arrived at the hotel on July 18th, to find that I had no reservation at all. I showed the woman at the front desk my confirmation email, she used the number on it to pulll my information from the hotel's website, confirming that I had booked a room. The woman told me "Your lucky we still have a couple rooms, but we don't have the jacuzzi room that you wanted." She said sorry, but did not appear appologetic, then said, " I don't know what happened. You can pick from one of those two rooms over there and see which one you like best, if you still want to stay" while she pointed waving her finger at some rooms across the driveway.
I just couldn't help wonder how they could bill my credit card if I had no reservation in the first place. When my friend arrived her reservation was correct, but they tried to bill her room to my husband's credit card as well. Our toilet almost overflowed in the middle of the night, the water sat 1 centimeter from the top of the toilet, we tried to call the front desk for help, but nobody answered. We were fortunate that the water went down on it's own. We also found that expedia guests are able to OVERBOOK the hotel on the expedia website. I am left with the impression overall that the booking process at this establishment is very unreliable. If you book online, you have to call to confirm your reservation and hope that you have one upon arrival. The rooms are pretty though.

4  Thank CaliforniaCouple30
SunsetInnPG, General Manager at Sunset Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2010

Dear Guest,

I apologize for the inconvenience we caused you. Expedia is a third party booking engine and the overbooking errors are due to their system, not ours. Trust me when I say we have continually contacted Expedia to rectify the solution. Nevertheless, I understand your frustration and we will continue to try to do better in an effort to help avoid potential issues like this in the future. We hope you do try and give us another chance if and when you decide to return to the Monterey Peninsula. Please accept our most sincere apologies. Thank You.

Reviewed 28 July 2010

Absolute best value I've found on the Monterey Peninsula. The beds and the bathroom were incredible. I loved the fireplace and the refrigerator in the room. Parking was free and easy. The location was ideal- we were a couple blocks from the ocean, and a couple miles from the Bagpiper and Peppoli at Spanish Bay. It was fun to watch deer walk right down the middle of the street in front of the inn. So peaceful and calming, I will definitely return. My only suggestion might be to add bathrobes?? :)

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
Best Western The Inn & Suites Pacific Grove
Monterey Peninsula Inn
Monterey Peninsula Inn
#3 of 17 in Pacific Grove

Been to Sunset Inn? Share your experiences!