“Decent hotel, bad service.”

Americas Best Value Inn
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Pacifica
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 19 July 2014

My family and I stayed in two rooms. They were actually pretty decent- clean and comfortable. However the service was TERRIBLE. We had several kids with us and came back from the beach sandy and wet. So we gave the kids showers before we headed back out and used all the towels. So we asked for more towels in one of our rooms and we were accommodated, however when my brother from the other room asked for towels, he was told he could not have any because we had already used too many!!!!! So he had nothing but dirty, sandy towels to use for his shower. ABSURD!!!! I have never heard of that ANYWHERE!! We are from NV where water for washing towels is precious, and I have never been denied towels. I have read other reviews and noticed that management responds condescendingly to the ones that have negative things to say- I'm curious what excuse he will have for denying his guests towels that they have paid to use!! Although the actual hotel was ok, we would probably pay a bit more to stay someplace that actually took care of their guests.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank GROM1MOM
abvipacifica101, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you were pleased with the quality of
your rooms. We strive for clean and comfortable rooms in all cases. I'm
sorry that there was a misunderstanding regarding towels. As I
understand it, there were simply no more towels available at the front
desk at the moment your brother asked. More would have been available
later after more washing was complete. I'm sorry if this was not
communicated well. We strive for friendly and professional service, and
we go out of our way to accommodate guest requests. I sincerely
apologize that we accidentally left a bad impression in this case.

Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

I wanted to see San Francisco but the hotels in the city were booked. Pacifica was close and available. The hotel looked like it had been recently remodeled it was very clean. It is very close to the freeway which was convenient and there wasn't much traffic at night so it wasn't noisy. It was an excellent room for the price; clean and roomy. There was a mini refrigerator and a mini coffee pot, both of which were used. I didn't need anything, so I can't say how my needs would've been handled. I used it as a place to sleep while seeing the sights and for that purpose it exceeded my expectations.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Shawmin9
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

I called to book a room without checking the reviews. Big mistake. When I called I was quoted 129 for a double bed room and I resvered it. Not only was this inaccurate, but the gentleman made no effort to explain why the rate had gone up 30$, and was incredibly nasty and short. I ended up leaving and paying 40$ more for a room at the best western that was great. I would recommend that one stays very far away from this place.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank NickE732
abvipacifica101, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thanks for commenting. I’m sorry that there was a booking rate mix up. Did you provide a confirmation number for your telephone reservation? We recommend booking online and printing out the reservation details as a great way to avoid confusion. I hope this issue was adequately resolved for you by the manager on duty. We strive to provide the highest level of service and most guests are satisfied. I sincerely apologize that we could not satisfy you in this case.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

I am sure people have been here and enjoyed their stay. I booked for two nights in September 2014 but wanted to know what public transport there was available to get in to SF as the hotel is a few miles outside of city. Despite emails to hotel and to customer services of Americas Best Value chain I could not get an answer.

Now cancelled and booked a hotel who actually value my custom.

If you know the area or been before and happy then OK, else I would not bother using this hotel.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments even though you did not stay with us. I’m sorry that we could not adequately answer your question about the many transportation options available to you. We do indeed please many guests each week and sincerely hope you will consider actually staying with us to experience the quality, value and amenities for which we’re known. We look forward to meeting you.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

I've stayed here twice. Rooms are clean, beds comfortable, bathroom clean. The halls and public spaces (such as they are) are very basic. Obviously no money was spent to make the motel look or feel appealing. The people who run the place live in an apartment behind the plastic (bullet proof?) window that protects the desk. You have to ring a bell to get them to come out. There is no small talk or any effort to suggest they are interested to see you or want to welcome you. On the other hand, everything is very efficient. My first visit I was running late and called ahead to be sure the room would still be available, and they told me not to worry, it was fine whenever I arrived.

Our last visit, my wife left part of her electric toothbrush in the bathroom. She called and they had it and said they could return it if she would sent a prepaid package for them to use. This was kind of inconvenient. Obviously we expect to pay for them to mail it, but if they cared to be a little friendly, they would simply mail it themselves and charge our credit card.

First visit we took one of the bedroom suites, which is located on the back side, facing the ocean, which is several blocks away. The suite has a kitchen, but there are no pots or pans or plates, I assume you would have to ask at the desk. Second visit we took a less expensive room, which does have a fridge and microwave, but those smaller bedrooms all face the freeway, which is right across the street, so we're dealing with car noise. Fortunately, highway 1 is pretty deserted at night.

Breakfast is very minimal. We had brought our own coffee and wanted just hot water, but they didn't even have that, just one pot of their coffee (we used the microwave to heat water).

Room Tip: Get the bedroom suites that are on the back side, away from freeway.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
abvipacifica101, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to offer thorough comments. We carefully read and review all guest comments and use them as we improve. Our goal is to provide clean, comfortable rooms at a great price, and we believe we do that. If we fell short of meeting your expectations, however, I sincerely apologize. We take great pride in this property since we live on site, as you have indicated, and do whatever is necessary to satisfy guests. We’re sorry you weren’t completely satisfied, but you can be sure these comments are valuable to us. I hope you’ll be staying with us again.

Sincerely,Carlos
Hotel Manager.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

I had a fine couple of nights staying at this hotel. The price was great, the room was fine and clean, everything worked in the room, bed was clean, easy check in, safe area, peaceful night... fridge/freezer, microwave, desk... there was wifi but it was a little slow. It was all good though. :)

Room Tip: I had a room facing the highway - not sure but having a room facing the west may have been quieter
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank thea226
Reviewed 3 November 2013

This hotel was a great relief from our last vacation stay (see: Rodeway Inn, Monterey!). It was in a quiet part of town, although the freeway was nearby. The room was clean and confortable. I checked for bed bugs per some of the other reviews, and gladly found none. The desk manager was friendly and helpful. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pacifica
Pacifica Beach Hotel
Hotel Aura San Bruno
Hotel Aura San Bruno
#2 of 13 in San Bruno
Hampton Inn San Francisco-Airport
Hampton Inn San Francisco-Airpor...
#2 of 28 in South San Francisco

Been to Americas Best Value Inn? Share your experiences!