“MY FAVORITE CHINESE RESTAURANT”

Tam's Cuisine of China
Ranked #28 of 86 Restaurants in Pacifica
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Moss Beach, California
“MY FAVORITE CHINESE RESTAURANT”
Reviewed 23 March 2012

A PLUS for white tablecloths. 3 stars for taokng phone orders and credit cards, and 4 stars for having pretty good hours and great service. Oh, and the food is good too. I love the honey walnut Prawns! Located easy on-off from the Freeway at the Manor Shopping Center

Mountain View, Arkansas
“Very good sizzling rice soup”
Reviewed 15 December 2011

My wife and I stopped in at Tam's for a late bite to eat after flying into SFO on our way to our hotel in Pacifica. It was late, so we got sizzling rice soup and an order of what I call Happy Family, which is beef, pork, chicken and shrimp and vegetables. It had a lot of snow peas which is one of my favorite items in a Chinese dish. The servings were large and we took leftovers of both orders back to our room. We had a microwave and refrigerator in our hotel room so I finished off the leftovers for breakfast the next morning. The soup was especially good. The service was also very good.

• Visited November 2011
San Francisco, California
“When my husband asks me, "Where do you want to go?", I always say, "Tams".”
Reviewed 19 March 2011

We've been coming here for 13 years, since discovering them via the Entertainment Book. They don't need to play the coupon game to lure customers anymore because we are only two of a very loyal following that's been built up over the years. They've done it by serving food that is consistent in taste and quality, in a setting that is upscale, pleasant and calming (white table linens, soft classical music, comfortable distance between tables, very clean restrooms, windows that line the dining room). Yes, it's located at the corner of a shopping center, as another reviewer noted, but the ambiance upon entering the restaurant is lovely, welcoming and always non-rushed.

The service has always been impeccable, with just the right hint of understated friendliness, the kind of demeanor you find in only the best restaurants. Allen, the owner, is so down to earth, respectful and unassuming that it was several years before I knew that he owned the place. Everyone who works there seems like the kind of person you wouldn't mind having as a friend - they're that nice, without being in the least bit intrusive.

It's so nice to always be able to count on the restroom being so clean. For me, this is very important.

The table linens are always freshly starched and spotless.

I frequently pick up a daily newspaper and take myself there for the lunch special. It's an hour of calm - a respite from chores, noise and traffic - listening to soft classical background music, while eating great food at a reasonable price in a calm setting. Sometimes I go with a friend. Another plus is that you can hear the person you are with talk, in the absence of clattering plates or jarring music.

The food is not only delicious, it is consistently delicious. You can depend on the thing you order tasting exactly as good as it was each time before.

The only problem is that, for us, it's a 50 minute round trip for take-out - but it's worth it!

Allen and/or his wife are always at the front desk with a friendly greeting, working with a pleasant staff to make the Tams experience top notch.

• Visited February 2011
Open Lands
“Tams is the Best”
Reviewed 21 January 2010

From the first day back in 1976 when they had moved to the present location. They have shown what real chinese cooking is all about.

San Francisco, California
“Rivals anything in SF or Chinatown - maybe better!”
Reviewed 1 November 2008

Great take-out, very friendly staff and absolutely excellent food. Plenty of it, too! We always have leftovers (yum).

I am not a very adventurous eater, and they are always very accommodating for any special requests (not spicy, no celery, whatever).

Best advice is to take advantage of the daily lunch special -- the rice plate is a whole lotta food for just $7. For dinner, highly recommend the egg rolls (massive and de-lish) and you can't go wrong with any of the entrees.

Tam's is authentic, family-run, and worth the drive.