“I really enjoyed this "park"~ I wouldn't call it a zoo”

Living Desert Zoo & Gardens
Palm Springs and Outlet Shopping Day Trip from Los Angeles
Ranked #1 of 59 things to do in Palm Desert
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The botanical gardens of this park offer great opportunities to see desert vegetation.
Reviewed 30 June 2014

The most important piece of information I will give you is WHEN we went to visit. It was at the end of June, and the temperature during the peak of the day was about 115 degrees. For that reason, we arrived at opening.. which was 8 am. This is off season~ so I really didn't expect the full experience. We started off in Africa~ because I wanted to see the giraffe. I will post a few pictures, so you can see how wonderful it was to see these animals in their own environment. It was too hot to stay any later than 10:30~plus, the animals were not going to come out in that heat. I can imagine how lovely it would be at a more comfortable temperature. There is also a tram that is an extra $6, but worth it if you have trouble walking or heat sensitive. We did not feed the giraffe, that was available. There are also gardens and a animal hospital. BTW. The train set up is truly wonderful. It was not working because it was off season. Would love to go back in a milder climate! You will not be disappointed.

2  Thank kcm3535

Reviewed 30 June 2014

My group thoroughly enjoyed an afternoon at the zoo. It was in February and the temperature was mild. Check out the educational programs; they're good for young and old alike.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

This place is great. Take the tram around and you can hop on and off as you like. Animals all seem happy! The model train display is unbelievably great and has a sort of Disney feel to it a it has several "Lands" as it travels. Terrific train diorama!! The butterfly house is really nice too...can't say enough about this place. You just have to go!

Reviewed 27 June 2014

My wife and I especially enjoyed the camel rides ($5 per person), and the open viewing of the lynx and badger. The badger was particularly energetic, and we were very close to the little guy. Good day of walking and viewing animals. We also enjoyed the bird exhibit, which cost an extra $2 plus $1 for a stick of bird seed. It was fun to get to feed the birds, and my wife loved it. Happy wife = worth it:)

We went to the reptile show, and I would not recommend that. Think your old science teacher reading a book to the class. That was the reptile show. Though at the end kiddos did get to pet the turtle...worth it? Not for us:)

Reviewed 24 June 2014

What a fantastic way to spend a morning! I say morning, because in the summer months, this attraction is only open for four hours. The temperatures can reach over 100 quickly, so get here early, wear lots of sunscreen and bring water with you!
This park focuses exclusively on plants and animals found in desert climates. I saw things here that I've never seen anywhere else in the country. Have your camera ready!
Hint: There is a tram that costs an additional $6.00 per person. The park isn't so big that you cannot walk it, but if you have small children or elderly guests who are heat sensitive, this might be a good investment, as it's hop on and hop off.
HINT: There is an animal hospital on-site, and tours are available. Incredibly, all procedures are video streamed live for visitors. Call ahead of your visit and find out if an animal is going to be examined or operated on that day. If so, you can observe! This is an incredible opportunity, and something I have never seen offered before, and it's free!
Hint: There is a giraffe feeding. Get here early and don't expect to be able to stand around and take pictures. The giraffe is very sensitive to crowds, so you will be encouraged to give her a stalk of green and move on!
Hint: There is a nursery on site so you can purchase plants you see in the exhibit.

1  Thank VanEsq12