“YIKES!!”

Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
LaCrescenta
“YIKES!!”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This hotel is a lot different than many other Westin hotels in regards to service. Check-in was fast and courteous, the room was clean and spacious, the sofa bed lumpy and thin.The pools appeared clean and the waterside was a lot of fun for my 7 year old. Activities at the pool were fun and reasonable.There is an outdoor pool table which my teenagers liked and were available much of our stay.The recreation room for kids was more like a free babysitting service with 8-10 kids under 10 with no visible adult present. The overall service at the pool and in the restaurant is almost non existent. And if your lucky enough to catch a waiter and order, go swim, read a book,relax,take a shower and head back to your seat,your drink should then be arriving at any time. And the same goes for the restaurant.We ordered simple items like eggs and pancakes and still waited 70 minutes for them to arrive to our table. I asked the manager after waiting 40 minutes and he said"thats how it is here, we are busy." I looked around and only 5 tables were full and we were one of them.Surprised to say the least! The price of the items should come with great quick service.Not here. I will probably not stay here again, and return to the villas in Rancho Mirage where waiting for drinks, food and service is always less than 20 minutes and waiters are always visible and not like finding Waldo.Sorry, Westin Rancho Mirage, I will not make that mistake again!

Room Tip: Building 1&2 are ideal the pools and waterside.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Daysie2300
jackson2180, Manager at The Westin Desert Willow Villas, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear guest, thank you for informing us of our service failures during your stay. I apologize for the treatment you recieved. It is unacceptable to say the least. We will be sure to review these items with our restaurant and pool teams to improve on our standards. I hope to connect with you regarding your experience. Here is my contact information. Please reach out to me directly should you require any assistance.

Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Beautiful, new property.
- Great room configuration for families
- Small 1BR is the best I've seen in the desert (highly functional, end units are exceptionally bright)
- Large 1BR is very comfortable, nice
- New, clean, contemporary, comfortable, Westin-luxury & "White Tea" scent / aesthetic
- Great pool area (2 pools, waterslide), great kids activities
- Well kept property & grounds
- Nice views of the Desert Willow Golf Course (though not walking distance to the restaurant there)
- Generally nice, central location (in Palm Desert) - close to the JW Marriott Hotel, The River, etc.
- More upscale, seemingly more sophisticated crowd than some other properties in the area (which may discount more and--IMO--attract younger / louder crowds)

Downside:
- Some construction was going on
- Somewhat stark landscaping / hardscape - lots of rock, not as much vegetation as some other properties in the area
- Long distances walking from some buildings to the main pool & restaurant area (long walk if you're there in the Summer)
- Waterslide is such a great / prominent feature but the height requirement excludes smaller children (hard for the 3 & 4 yo set who really want to use it).
- Limited restaurant selection on site (but better than most timeshares)

Really enjoyed the trip... Great value, perfect for a weekend getaway... We will be back to this property...

Room Tip: End units are exceptionally bright, ask for a building closer to the main area of the property. Hig...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dear guest, thank you for spending time at our resort. We appreciate the comments on our rooms, pools and property as a whole. I apologize if some of your younger guest were not able to use the slide. The height requirement is enforced to ensure slide safety for all. Looking forward to you next visit.

Anaheim Hills, CA
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

The resort is really nice with lots of amenities. Fully equipped rooms with a washer/dryer combo, full kitchen, DVD player, Bose system and more. The offer lots of activities and have a nice gym, pool with water slide and nice bbq's to grill. I would say that the only negative were the employees. They weren't bad but not up to par to the other great Westin properties that I have been to.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear guest, thank you for providing insight on your recent stay with us. It was nice to know that the accommodations mets your needs. It is concerning that our associates fell short of your expectations. I would love the opportunity to connect with you regarding your experience. Hoping to hear from you soon.

Canada
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Only stayed one night on a desert road trip. Arrived at 9 pm. When I mentioned to the desk clerk I regretted not having enough time to enjoy the property, they immediately offered a late check out at noon. And though I had to get back on the road the next day, they said I could stay around and lounge by the pool after check out if I wanted. The suite was gorgeous and SUPER clean. The cleanliness is what amazes me the most. The kitchen is fully stocked and yet everything was CLEAN and in great condition. Unit was on the ground floor. Yes, there is a berm in front of the patio so you can't see directly on to the golf course. But then the golfers can't see you walking around in your undies! I liked that the patio was private that way. Sat out there in my bathrobe after a soak in the jetted tub. Still had a great view of the mountains south of Palm Springs. I was lucky to be in a building away from the continued construction. Amazed to see guests at the smaller pool which is right next to the construction. I chatted with several staff and all were very friendly and professional.I definitely will try to make it back when I have more time!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Oscuro
Dear guest, thank you for taking the time to provide of details regarding your stay with us. We were delighted to hear that the late check-out enhanced your experience. It was a pleasure to know that the amenities and staff met your needs. We hope to see you again.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 23 May 2014

In the middle of a long business trip I happened to find this awesome secluded Resort, still under some construction. It is super quiet, lush, relaxing, and cool. The rooms are really extremely comfortable and spacious Villas/suites, which I really needed after a night in the 4 Points by LAX the night before. I was able to relax and watch the sunset from my deck, and enjoyed an outdoor dinner by the pool. The food is more of an upscale Bar menu then a full entree based restaurant menu, but it was well prepared and served by very friendly staff. They really need some running trails through he property, as it looks like it should be big enough. If ever i have to be in Palm Desert again, I will definitely stay here.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear guest, thank you for providing us insight on your experience. We were excited to hear your comments on the resort ambiance, the bar menu and our friendly staff. The concierge can provide some challenging running trails in the area. We look forward to you next visit.

Vancouver
Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

Brought the family down to get some desert heat in before heading to the coast for some Disney and beaches. The resort looks and feels new even though the property is over 4 years old. We were in building 2 which gave us close proximity to the main pools. The food options weren't great, typical resort prices for food I wasn't overly impressed with the good.

The slide at the pool closes at 5pm which is too early for the children.

I would go back though!

Stayed May 2014
Dear guest, we appreciate having you as a guest at our resort. Thank you for the feedback regarding the property and our food options. We use guest commentary to celebrate sucesses and to improve our service to our guest. We hope to see you again soon.

Pasadena, California
Reviewed 22 May 2014

We are currently staying at the Westin Desert Willow Villas with my 11 month old baby and my wife.

I have mixed feelings about this hotel.

The pros:
1) We are in a premium villa, which is in Building 6. The room is excellent, I can only say highly positive things about it. Nice, large, clean, well equipped, etc.
2) As having an 11 month old baby, I really appreciate that they have a pool for babies, very young kids.
3) At the side of each villa, there are bbq facilities to make your on bbq if you wish
4) The price/value at the time we are here is excellent. We are paying about USD 660 for four nights. This includes parking, wifi, towels and chairs at the pool, but does not include breakfast. It also includes an USD 100 food and beverages credit at the Westin however.

The Cons:

1) They do not tell you at the reservation that a heavy construction in undergoing next to the pool (they are building a new villa) and it is very noisy. As I have seen a comment on the construction, I have especially asked about it at the time of the reservation, but they said, there is no such thing in their system. It turned out that it is still underway and I guess, it will be in the next coming months so.
2) This hotel is lacking a good restaurant. Even a good bar. They have one, but the quality of the food is poor. Also the bar next to the pool has limited choices and nothing special to remember for.
3) After the third day, we are still lacking the housekeeping. It is scheduled between 9.30 to 5. We left our rooms about 11 am both days, but still not done.
4) At the reservation, asked for a crib. Repeated the request at the check-in. Nothing happened so had to ask for it for the third time, than we got it.

The reason I have mixed feelings, because, none of the above cons would make me to say "not recommended". The construction will end sometime, the service could be improved easily. The only bottleneck would be the food question, but there are plenty of restaurants at the cities and as these rooms are apartment, you also have a fully equipped kitchen.

The hotel is not a special architecture experience. It looks ok, but thats it. It is not fancy, it is not cool, but it is comfortable and reasonably priced.

Overall, good for a few day escape from LA, but would avoid it during the construction, if you do not like the noise during the pool session.

If the cons would be worked out, it would be an average rating for me.

Room Tip: Building 6 is far from the ongoing construction.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Robert B
Dear guest, thank you for providing us your thoughts regarding your stay. I apologize for the construction noise encountered during your stay. We appreciate the pros and cons noted as we use this information to improve our processes moving forward. We will share this information with our leadership teams to keep them informed on how our guests are felling. We would love the opportunity to serve you again in the future. Should you require any assistance , I would be happy to help anyway that I can.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm Desert
Marriott's Desert Springs Villas II
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
Marriott's Shadow Ridge I-The Villages

Been to The Westin Desert Willow Villas? Share your experiences!