“Nice Resort!”

Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
Southern California
“Nice Resort!”
Reviewed 31 December 2011

This resort is more of a condo environment and not a hotel. The rooms are really nice with either a view of the golf course, mountains or both. The golf course is very playable for all abilities. The restaurant is very nice and reasonably priced. They have a well-stocked pro shop and have an onsite market. They are located close to shopping, casino and downtown Palm Springs. I highly recommend and will visit there again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 30 December 2011

This is our favorite among all the Marriotts in the Palm Springs area. Nice, wide open pools, water slide and numerous jacuzzis. The rooms are nice. Standard, when it comes to a Marriott Villa with a kitchen. The rooms are smaller than the Marriott Desert Villas, but the activities make up for it. The food options on-site are negligible. However, there's Baja Fresh and other fast foods across the street.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
Corona
Reviewed 27 December 2011

I've just completed a weeks’ stay at the Shadow Ridge Villas in Palm Desert. All in all – it has been nice, but I don't think that it lived up to my expectations. We stayed in one of the studios, as opposed to a 1BR with living room and full kitchen. That's probably part of the problem - the 'kitchen' in the studio is very marginal; no stove of any kind, no dishwasher and limited silverware too. One of the studios only had enough silverware for one person! We were also missing a set of dish-towels in one of the studios. There isn't a W&D setup or a larger bathroom in these rooms; I'm comparing all of this to a stay at one of the Westin properties, so that's the baseline I'm using for these comparisons.
We felt that the maid service was lacking – if there was any single day that the service staff came by to refresh the room, we couldn’t tell. To be fair, we made our own beds every day, just because it was easy, and made the room look just that much nicer. But we were running low on some of the basics, Kleenex, tp, etc. and I don’t think that should have been the case! If they changed any of our towels, well that wasn’t evident either. Also, there were not enough places to hang bath towels once used – really could have used another hook or two for that!
The property however, was on the whole, just beautiful. Very well kept grounds, great pools that are heated to a very comfortable temperature, great places to walk or run in the morning – that part of my stay, I enjoyed very much. Plentiful parking too, compared to some other vacation ownership resorts that I’ve stayed at. It’s a bummer to have to carry your stuff a long way from your car to your room, or have to rely on the hotel staff and a golf cart of some kind…
I can’t comment on the golf course itself, as none of us play golf – sure looked like a nice place to play though!
We stayed at the Villas (Buildings 3000 and lower) as opposed to the Enclaves (4000 and higher) – my personal preference would have been the Enclaves, as those rooms look newer (although I’m told that they are smaller) and overlook a very nice pool area, as opposed to the golf course. I liked the course views, but would have preferred the pool view, that’s all. I can’t compare the rooms between the two because I never saw inside those rooms, only the two studios we had.
While I felt the rooms very OK, not everyone in my family agreed with me – the one thing that we all agreed on, was that the furnishings were not fantastic – the blankets on the beds were worn, our feather-free pillows were old and flat and the décor was just old looking; for a resort that is supposed to be 10 years old or so, it looked older in my opinion.
Would I stay here again? Sure, if the price were right, and I didn’t have a better option. My opinion is that Marriott does an average job, while other operations do a better job on the whole. I’d be hard-pressed to want to be an owner at a Marriott, based on this experience with their time-share community. Maybe this was kind of a fluke, I don’t know. What I do know is that week before Christmas is their high-season, and I just didn’t leave feeling I was a guest at their resort during one of the most prime weeks of the season. Your mileage may vary – but that was my experience overall for the week.
Hope this helps somebody out there make an educated decision for their next stay in the Palm Springs area!

Room Tip: I think that I'd request a place over on the Enclaves side of the resort as opposed to the Villa...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 December 2011

Ok, this is an interesting place if you are a renter. First the good points...the rooms are set in a good environment. They are centrally located in Palm Desert near shopping and restaurants, and have the backdrop of mountains and the golf course. The pool and activities for families are unbelievably good. The golf course is fantastic to play and is in great shape. The golf course staff is magnificent. The villas are in a nice gated area with beautifully maintained grounds. The marketplace store on the grounds makes is convenient (but expensive) and makes great coffee. Now the bad...the room furnishings are old and need upgrade/replacement. Housekeeping is terrible and almost non-existent. They are supposed to "tidy up" daily, but did not. My room was reserved as feather-free, but was not (I had to call to get them to change it). The restaurant on the grounds is expensive, food ordinary, and service is painfully slow.
Overall I would stay again because the positives outweigh the negatives for me. But, being a Marriott gold member, this is not the service that I would expect.

• Stayed December 2011
San Diego
Reviewed 26 December 2011

Great family vacation with beautiful pools and modern, spacious rooms. We came for a week over Thanksgiving and stayed in a 2 bedroom, 2 bath villa and it was very large with huge master bedroom/bath, and nice-sized second bedroom w/ sofa bed and kitchenette, a huge fully-stocked kitchen, and big dining table, living room and balcony. We had family over who live in town and there was enough room for Thanksgiving dinner for 12 with the kids at the patio table.

Activities – On the plus side, there are still quite a few activities for the kids – arts and crafts, free movies w/ popcorn throughout the day in the “theater room” in the activity center, Wii tournaments, ping pong tournaments, etc. tye dying ($15) pottery painting, snow cones ($3) and sundaes ($5). But I was somewhat disappointed, because there were less activities than when we stayed 2-1/2 years ago in Jan. 2009, and they were quite a bit more expensive. Last time, I did the free yoga class and water aerobics, which were great, now yoga was only twice a week and cost $27/class; water aerobics is now $15, and kids' pottery painting by the pool was $18/kid. Also, by contrast, "parents night out" at Lawrence Welk Desert Oasis in Spring was $25 for 2 kids for 4 hours, offered twice/week; here it was $70 for 2 kids for 3 hours, offered only once/week, and most crafts there were under $5).

Pools – We spent most our time at the resort by the pools; the kids loved the water slide, and must have gone down hundreds of times. The pools really are beautiful - sparkling, vanishing edge w/ mature trees and beautiful mountain views. We ate lunch at the poolside bar one days, which was convenient, reasonable, and pretty tasty. We got a few smoothies from the bar for the girls, and we got a few drinks, which were reasonably priced for a pool bar.

We had a great time, and I’m sure we’ll return again. But I rated it 4, rather than 5, due to the increased prices of activities.

Room Tip: If you have kids, I'd ask for a room near the family pool.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank SDTraveler01
Corona, California
Reviewed 26 December 2011

If you're thinking of buying......DON'T! As a Westin Vacation Owner with extra points that needed to be used, and since the Westin was full, I thought the Marriott might be a nice alternative. How wrong I was! We checked in on the 17th of December for a week long stay. My daughter and son-in-law and I had two studio rooms that were 4 doors apart. That was okay...we were close. However, the rooms were tiny and not well thought out: The door opened into the kitchenette, so if one was trying to cook, get something out of the fridge or cupboards, it was not easy to get into the room without banging the other person. The fridge in my room was adequate size for one person but had no freezer compartment. However, it was so cold that it froze solid an ice tea in a paper cup.The fridge in my daughter's room was about half the size, but it had a freezer. However, the temps were not as cold as my fridge. In the silverware department I had 1 knife, 1 dinner fork, 1 salad plate, 1 cereal bowl, 2 coffee cups, 2 dinner plates and 2 water glasses. I had no dish towel but I had soap and a sponge. The microwave is mounted high up so that I needed to stand on a chair to see if what I was cooking (bacon) was finished or not. The size of the kitchenette was extremely small with very little counter space. The bed was comfotable enough. The blanket that was on the bed and the extra in the closet both had holes in them! The room was dark even with the drapes and curtain pulled back. The bathroom was adequate size for one person, but a challenge for two. While there were ample towels provided, there was no place to hang the damp ones without getting the dry ones wet. Unlike the Westin that provides one midweek cleaning/maid service, we never saw anyone from housekeeping except when we called and asked for things. The trash filled up quickly between 3 people using both rooms, especially mine for what little cooking we did. I had to call and ask for new trash bags as there were no extras provided. In my daughter's room they had one very tiny wastebasket in the kitchen (same size as the bathroom) and a larger recycle basket. They asked for a larger wastebasket for the kitchen and were told they didn't provide those in the studios, only the 1 bedrooms.

The square footage in the studio was only 324 sq. ft., as opposed to the Westin studios that are 500 sq. ft. It is obvious that Marriott has not yet figured out how to provide a high quality vacation ownership option. The grounds are beautiful and the pools are many and wonderful. We espcially enjoyed the "Quiet Pool" while we were there. The road runners, rabbits and American Coots that inhabit the grounds were fun to watch and provided some wonderful photo opportunities.

The various activities that are offered throughout the week are primarily oriented to children except for the wellness center offerings. My daughter and I thought to go to the class on making glass Christmas ornaments one morning. Bad idea. The location was in the children's activity center which was very crowded with a variety of physical activities taking place. Except for the two of us, everyone else was children (very young to teens) and there was little direction on how to make the ornaments. The cost was $5.00 for this so we asked for our money back and left. My son-in-law went to water arobics one morning. Once again, there was a charge....$15.00. I understand a charge for golf lessons, use of the spa, massage and other wellness activities, but water arobics?!!! It was as if they were nickel and diming us everytime we turned around. Went to Faldos for their Monday Night Football festivities and found that lacking as well. Service after we ordered a drink was virtually non-existent! We had to get up and find a waiter to take our food order and then it was slow coming. The Marketplace (store for food, etc.) was VERY overpriced! An 18 oz. Lipton Iced Tea was $2.50. At the local market it was $.99! This was typical of everything in the store. They did not provide any kind of customer service during our stay which should be one of the most important things for this kind of property. There was no offer of help with luggage, or any other type of service that is frequently provided at hotels and other vacation ownership properties.

While in Palm Desert we stopped by the Westin Mission Hills Resort and Spato see the property. Even thought we were not staying there, we were offered a free hors d'oeurve or dessert voucher, maps, and plenty of customer service. They were not too busy to answer our questions and engage in conversation with us. The difference between the Westin and the Marriott was huge! Therefore, I would not recommend staying at the Marriott Shadow Ridge ever! Find someplace else while in the area!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank JanetWK
MVCI_Executive, Guest Relations Manager at Marriott's Shadow Ridge I-The Villages, responded to this review, 10 January 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at Marriott's Shadow Ridge. We apologize the accommodations and level of service you received did not meet your expectations.

Your satisfaction is important to us. In order for us to appropriately address your concerns, please contact our Customer Care office at Marriott Vacations Worldwide via email at Customer.Care@mvwc.com or at 800 860 9384.

Marriott Vacations Worldwide Customer Care
Orange Co., CA
Reviewed 25 December 2011

We've been staying at the Marriott Shadow Ridge #1 since it was built. It is still a beautiful place to stay in Palm Desert, but the housekeeping, furniture, etc. is definitely getting worn.

Their restaurant, Nick Faldo's (the Austrailian golfer), used to be great and open every nite. Now it is open from (get this) 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. on some days only. Be warned - the food is awful. It is obviously now a "fly by night" operation with some short-order cook that they found on the streets. Our group had fish & chips. I guess whatever mystery was contained in all the bready covering was fish, but there was so little of it we couldn't be sure. There were only a few people eating there - most of the restaurant was closed off. It is obvious they are having hard times. That I understand - but CLOSE down the restaurant completely, don't pass it off as a restaurant when it's just a poorly run coffee shop (if that).

The units are still large and spacious, but the furnishings are quite worn. The only toiletries given are a tiny bar of no-name soap and shampoo.

Given the bad points, it is still a lovely place to stay - the grounds and golf course are beautiful. We were upset though that we wasted one of our evenings on a "restaurant" like Nick Faldo's.

Room Tip: A very decent value as long as you don't eat there
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Hampton Inn & Suites Palm Desert
Marriott's Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott's Shadow Ridge II- The Enclaves
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa

Been to Marriott's Shadow Ridge I-The Villages? Share your experiences!