“Nice way to end summer break” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Marriott's Shadow Ridge I-The Villages

Marriott's Shadow Ridge I-The Villages
Ranked #5 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
Phoenix, Arizona
“Nice way to end summer break”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

We loved the hotel, no complaints just disappointed the life size chess was gone but still on the website.. Swimming pool was great and loved that it was very kid friendly... The kiddie pool was great but did need cleaning, and being that we arrived a little late my son only rode the water slide once than it closed. All in all I would consider staying again.

• Stayed July 2014
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We bought a timeshare here about 12 years ago and thoroughly enjoy our stays. Lots of shopping and dining opportunities within short driving distance. Plenty of sights to see are also an easy drive away.

Room Tip: Top floor to avoid having a loud party in the suite above you.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Frank G
Villa Park, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

Pros
• Lots of activities for kids.
• Rooms are clean, fair sized, good layout and fully stocked with kitchen supplies.
• Perfect for families that like the do it yourself vacation experience.
• Front desk people were great.
• Palm Desert surrounding area is great.

Cons
• Place was packed in July.
• It appeared people not staying there were sneaking in. A lot of people parking and changing clothes in the street.
• So many people in pool that it was very dirty, murky e.g. chunks of hair floating around.
• Limited food service, pool bar food is not good.
• Rules are clearly stated, not enforced e.g. no saving unattended chairs for several hours.
• Having to exchange cards for towels gets old fast. Speaks to the level of clientele Shadow Ridge is attracting if they have to do this.

We have now stayed at the Marriott Villas, Westin Mission Hills & Desert Willows and would probably choose all three over this one. We wouldn’t rule this place out but it was so crowded in the middle of July we would be hesitant to go back at anytime

Room Tip: Choose buildings closest to the activity center/main pool if you have kids and farthest away if you...
3 Thank RMinOC
Sandy, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

We are weeks owners as well as points and have visited many MVC destinations. This was our first time at Shadow Ridege...we did an II getaway. We found everything wonderful. We stayed in the area of the quiet pool (if you are not with kids and want it quiet then get into blds 2700-3100....we were in 2600 which is right across the street from the quiet pool) The gold course view was great and each morning we watched wildlife (rabbits, lizards, birds, geese, hawks) right from our balcony. The room is well appointed and spacious (although there was just the two of us). Pool was nice and NEVER overcrowded....and QUIET. We had food at the pool side snack bars which was very good. The Grill restaurant features excellent food for a very reasonable prices. Both lunch and dinner were excellent. BBQ grills are close by and there is a Walmart superstore and Costco within 3-4 minutes of the resort. Getting to other locations is easy and a rental car is a must as this is a large resort. Service was great!!! Definetly this will be a return trip for us.

Room Tip: if you want a quiet location ask for rooms in 2700-3100 villas...they are right across from the quie...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Westminster, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

This was our 2nd trip to Shadow Ridge. Our first experience was decent- this time it was terrible! First of all, my 4 year-old daughter sliced open her hand on one of the water cannons that was not functioning properly. The back piece was missing and she cut her hand wide open on an exposed, rusty screw. We had to track down security who brought us a band aid. When I asked for antibiotic, he advised me that I needed to walk all the way up to the front desk and get my own. While they did close down the splash pad area while they tracked down the missing piece to the cannon, I had to call the front desk and ask for a report to be taken (it was not offered to me). My daughter did not end up needing stitches, but the cut will likely scar.

Upon check-out, we asked to speak to a manager about the incident (and a few other unfortunate events that happened). She said she would look into what had happened and call us in 2 hours. Two days and later and still no phone call. I then called and spoke to another manager. He said he would follow-up on the incident and call me back the next day. A WEEK LATER AND STILL NO PHONE CALL! I called a 3rd time and was PROMISED someone would call me back. This was 5 days ago and STILL NO PHONE CALL! I also filled out the hotel survey that was sent to me via email and requested a follow-up phone call. STILL NO PHONE CALL! My daughter was injured at no fault of her own, complete hotel negligence, and I can't get anyone to even call me back. TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!

I will not be returning to this hotel and will advise my friends to STAY AWAY! HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE! Not to mention, the pool was murky and dirty. People were eating in the water and there was trash all over. So gross! Especially for a Marriott!

Rooms
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Lisa R
Lake Elsinore, California, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

its nice location and nice stuff and beautiful landscape. the good thing about it its so close to all big stores like Costco and sams club and super wall mart and more and more.
the food here its amazing and reasonable price.

Escondido, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

I am a property owner, who has fond memories of years back, when my children were young, and we did spend our week ownership vacation at Shadow Ridge.
Summers were hot but you had the resort to yourself, winters were full of life with golfers and interesting people.
In the pursuit of maximizing profits, in the short run; Marriott has turned this property into a Motel, open to everyone, with weekly deals and so forth.
I cannot think of a reason to be an owner and share property taxes and maintenance, when anyone can stay at the property, at a lesser cost.
Like any Motel, the property is impossible to keep at the standards originally set.
Sign of the times, perhaps.

Room Tip: It is a Motel now, good luck.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Raul L
Ryan N, Corporate Customer Care Manager at Marriott's Shadow Ridge I-The Villages, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Thank you for your TripAdvisor review, Raul. We appreciate your feedback on your recent visit and apologize for not exceeding your expectations. Allowing guests to rent villas at Marriott's Shadow Ridge gives our owners the ability to exchange their weeks for other travel excursions. We always welcome feedback on how we may improve our owner's experience and will share your comments with the appropriate leadership team. Thank you again for your review and for visiting Marriott's Shadow Ridge.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm Desert
#1 of 8 in Rancho Mirage
Marriott's Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott's Shadow Ridge II- The Enclaves
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa

Been to Marriott's Shadow Ridge I-The Villages? Share your experiences!