Marriott's Desert Springs Villas I
Hampton Inn & Suites Palm Desert(Palm Desert)(Great Value!)
US$165
US$143
US$99
US$94
Marriott's Shadow Ridge I-The Villages(Palm Desert)(Great Value!)
US$211
Marriott
Marriott's Shadow Ridge II- The Enclaves(Palm Desert)(Great Value!)
Marriott
US$183
  • Pool
Best Western Plus Palm Desert Resort(Palm Desert)(Great Value!)
US$95
  • Restaurant
US$114
US$100
Agoda.com
Marriott's Desert Springs Villas II(Palm Desert)(Great Value!)
US$211
US$154
International Hotel & Suites(Palm Desert)(Great Value!)
US$74
Travelocity
All reviewsdesert springsjw marriottsunken living roomvillas iigolf coursefull kitchenmain marriottpalmeras poolmain poolhotel poolsecond bedroomcorner unitpre arrivalno elevatorthese unitscoffee makertime share
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 October 2011

I had the opportunity to stay here, but had significant reservations at ever staying at another Marriott time share, after my bad experience at Marriott Desert Springs a month or so ago.

I could not have been more wrong!

This is a beautiful property - the quality of the buildings is far superior to the Marriott DS just a few miles away!

I stayed in a beautiful one bedroom condo on the ground floor - it had a full kitchen, and luxury bathroom and a large living room with a 4 seat dining table - lots of room, and a great location on the 11th hole of the beautiful golf course. It also had a washer dryer.

Free Wifi throughout the property.

The property itself is huge - and from the lobby, you drive through security gates onto a very well planned out small town - great parking - and lots of it, all covered, and sidewalks that are beautifully landscaped and in between the buildings they have bar B Que area's - with four to six Bar b Ques all ready to grill up those steaks.

The property has beautiful sculptures of desert animals sparkling with mosaics as well as beautiful landscaping with metal sculptures and art works.

My unit faced onto the golf course - but other units on opposite side (especially the second floor units) had a beautiful view of the mountain range - in fact at the main swimming pool, there was a beautiful view of almost the entire mountain ranges from the aerial tramway to La Quinta.

So you may want to confirm a mountain view when booking.

The main swimming pool area is again huge - two lounge/swim area's - one more for families and kids with a water slide and fountains - the other area for adults - that itself has two pools and lots of lounge chairs and piles of clean towels.

There is plenty of undercover lounge area's with cool water misters - bringing the temperature down to really comfortable levels. They turn on just when the morning heat is rising, and stay on all day through the early evening.

There are a number of restaurants on the property - although when I was there they were only open Friday and Saturday.

There is a shuttle bus that runs around the property.

The people that work there - from the check in desk to the coffee shop person to the security are all incredibly friendly and helpful.

I had no problem checking out at 2pm - they were more than please to accommodate!

There is no daily room cleaning service - as they are designed as timeshares - but - or you can have a maids service at an extra charge of I think $30.00 or you can order the free towel exchange service.

I cooked the whole week (in the very nice and fully equipped kitchen) - having dinner out on the small patio that overlooked the beautifully manicured golf course. There is an Albertsons just a mile or so down the street.

Highly recommend staying there!

I was told by the girl in the coffee shop that many Canadians chose this place for winter retreats, and that they are really fun and a great group of people.

Room Tip: Try reserving a mountain view room. The balconies on the second floor look small - but have a better view.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 September 2011

This timeshare property probably offers the largest size villas/units of just about any timeshare out there. Villa's 1 has comfortable furnishings and well stocked kitchens for our multi-generational family. It is easy to shop at the Ralphs Fresh Faire near the timeshare and make most meals in the unit. The dining table comfortably seats 6-8.
The units have been moderatly updated to include flat panel tv's. Plenty of towels and the like are provided. A number of pools are available within the Desert Springs Villas 1 & 2, so many options to choose from when it comes to swimming.
We like to play tennis, so proximity to the tennis court is a must for our family. The surrounding grounds are well maintained and having the J.W. Marriott within walking distance is an added bonus for all of the amenities that resort has to offer (restuarants, gondola, Star Bucks, kid activities, spa).
Definitely prefer Villas 1 to 2 primarily due to size of the unit. We like it so much, we stay annually.

Room Tip: End units have more Windows.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank SodaTraveler
Reviewed 16 September 2011

We just had our second of two stays in a at DS1 through a "getaway" with our timeshare exchange. Both were through the first week of September including the Labor Day holiday, in 2010 & 2011. We found the staff to be friendly, pleasant and accommodating.

The one-bedroom unit is a wonderful, large space. Well furnished with exceptional wood finishings on cupboards, granite countertops, and stainless steel appliances. We love the step-down living room with two large connecting sofas, where you can view the golfcourse and pond, or watch the large flatscreen TV. The spa tub is roomy for two people, and we bring candles & bubble bath to fully enjoy it.

Unfortunately, on this latest check-in, I initially kept running into invisable sticky spots. That is the only reason I am giving 4 stars enstead of 5. The underside of the refrigerator door handle, a spot on the floor in front of the fridge, splattered mirror, spots of food left on dishes probably after poor dishwashing, and dusty lampbases and shades. I would have called for housekeeping, but each time I was surprised to find another spot. I probably used about 1/8th of the paper towel roll taking care of these minor annoyances. On the good side, our unit (Bldg B, room 9115) was so lovely that I really didn't want to be moved to another unit. And I didn't find any other problems after the first evening. These things would have probably gladly been taken care of if I had called.

We were glad we went to the Monday morning welcome and orientation meeting. There were discounts and drawings for free stuff. Get there early for the drawing. Marriott has introduced a White Tiger yoga and fitness exercise program here and at a few of their other resorts. Being in the off season, we were able to participate for the whole week for $59. each, regularly about $25 per class session. The guy who put this program together definitely knows his stuff. It is very good to help get the kinks out and keep you physically healthy for your vacation, and generally not too extreme. Lots of gentle stretching including concepts of yoga and tai chi, also water fitness exercises. We didn't buy the extra exercise class videos and doodads available for taking home, but wouldn't have minded having them, as this is a program worth continuing as your morning routine. We were across the small street from the clubhouse, and enjoyed using that pool without other occupants between 7 and 9am.

Also new this trip is the Shadow activities building. We especially enjoyed viewing free second-run movies there. They have seating for about 20, and had movies that had come out within the last year. We saw "Soul Surfer", and "True Grit". Skip the chocolate tasting event if you are an adult. Just explanations about the gradations from white chocolate to bitter chocolate, and the tastings are of Ghiradelli chocolate chips. Might be interesting for children.

We attended the timeshare vacation program presentation as we wanted to know what Marriott is doing with their new points program. Our reward was $75 resort credits or two rounds of golf. We split it for one round of golf and $50 toward the spa at the Marriott hotel. It was worth it to us, we learned a lot about their program and they were pleasant at the end when we declined to join, and kept the whole thing to 2 hours, even with our questions and comments.

Room Tip: Studio/ efficiencies in DS1 are mostly parking lot view. The one bedroom units are larger in Desert Springs Villas 1 than Desert Springs Villas 2.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank all-in-balance
Reviewed 15 September 2011

These seem to be the largest of any Marriott time share units, and we've stayed in at least 10 different properties. I love the sunken living room and spacious wrap around sofa (large enough for two people to stretch out completely). The other piece of furniture in the living room is a chair with welcome footrest. We like the granite counter top around the edge of the living room that is great for holding all those travel brochures we pick up and want to have handy. The kitchen is large enough for 2 people to work and has all the standard appliances, and again, granite countertops.

The dining area is easy for 6 to use, and 8 could be squeezed in. The master bedroom is quite large and opens out to the balcony that also runs from the living room. The adjoining studio unit has a separate, also large, balcony. Each balcony has lounge chairs and the "master balcony" also has a table and 4 chairs.

We like to get a unit near one of the pools, but there are also units convenient to the tennis courts and hotel, if that is your preference. Villas I and II share the same management, with Villas II being the newer. Villas I have more square feet, but are about 5 years older. There are no elevators, so that may be a disadvantage to some people since the better views are from the upper units.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road.
  • Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank janet48603
Reviewed 11 September 2011

This was our 10th consecutive summer of spending a week in one of the two Marriott Timeshare properties in Palm Desert, but it was the most disappointing stay we have experienced. Our family generally obtains 8 - 10 2-bedroom units for a "Family Retreat" each summer. Our daughter was even married at one of these two Marriott Timeshares. We have normally received stellar service from Marriott without having to contact management, not this time.

While my unit was available for check-in when I arrived at 7:00 p.m., several in our party were made to wait several hours after the 4:00 p.m. scheduled check-in to gain access to their units. Apparently, this was due to a severe shortage of housekeeping staff to clean the rooms and make them available.

My personal issue was the manner in which the front desk personnel handled an issue arising from my checkin the previous day. When I went to the front desk to clear up this issue the next morning, I encountered an "attitude problem" with the customer service person. I then requested a "manager" to handle the issue and encountered an "attitude problem" with the manager. Both of these situations were quite surprising to me since I have NEVER encountered a negative attitude with any Marriott personnel in more than 10 years of staying at Marriott properties.

I do believe this may stem from personnel being understaffed, hopefully. If this is true it can easily be remedied. And, I hope it will be remedied before our next stay.

I still rate this property "very good" because it is better than "average" (the next lower rating).

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family