“My Palm Desert Home Away From Home”

Marriott's Desert Springs Villas I
Ranked #7 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
El Cajon, California
“My Palm Desert Home Away From Home”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We have been owners at the Marriott Desert Springs Villas since they opened over 30 years ago. it has been our gateway to discovering other great Marriott Vacation villas in other countries, but we always love "coming back home" to our vacation villa in Palm Desert!

Don't let the age of the units scare you away...they are constantly upgraded and updated by the superb staff and their excellent design has stood the test of time. Each unit is on one of the two golf courses that wind their way through the development, and Villas I owners and guests (unlike Villas II) are able to use the excellent spa facilities at the world-class JW Marriott Hotel Resort on the same grounds....one of the great hotels in America!

The full units are around 1100 square feet, with terrific master bedroom suite, a large and well-equipped kitchen, dining area, living room, patio with table, chairs and loungers. The "lock-off" or second bedroom has a lot of privacy and a great bath and spa, as well as its own patio.

I have always had my requests for villa location honored. there are a couple of major swimming pool areas and ample smaller pools scattered around the development and convenient to the villas. Ask for a villa near one of the small pools, and you can enjoy family barbeques right at the pool using their excellent BBQ units poolside.

Room Tip: Ask for a villa near one of the smaller family pools. After you check in, make a quick trip to the R...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Scott A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Surrey, Canada
Reviewed 6 April 2013 via mobile

This is my 9th or 10th stay at DSV 1 over the past 20 years. I love the area, the climate and the resort. Always get a 1 bedroom villa as close to the tennis centre as possible. This gives you a short walk over to the JW Marriott.

Stayed in building E, the suite was recently updated. DSV 1 includes access Mon-Fri to the JW Spa which is very nice. The golf courses are as beautiful as ever.

My fault for scheduling our vacation over Spring Break. The resort was very busy and so many kids. If you are looking for a quiet vacation ,which Desert Springs usually is, don't go during Spring Break.

Will probably return next year.

• Stayed April 2013
san diego
Reviewed 26 March 2013

I had loved this property till our last stay...We went for a nice romantic valentine's getatway. As another reviewer RonB noted, the pool can get very noisy and i don't know why they don't have an "adults only" one?? So I went for a siesta on our lovely patio, ground floor-(no ants or roaches and the rooms have always been pristine), so I"m half asleep on the lounge chair in the grass when I get hit in the face by 2 sprinklers so I turn and another one gets me, so I'm screaming and try to jump out of the chair and slip twisting my back/knee! (another older lady also happened to be sitting out there and got soaked too!). So I'm laid up for the rest of my stay after being there only 3 hours...We terminated our stay the next AM and I had to have Phy Therapy. I had thought they were comping us our night but found out today, Nope! We stay at marriotts atleast 24 nights a year so was really surprised at their attitude. Plus the front desk gal had given us the wrong building at first so we're walking all around looking for the room...Not sure what's going on with management here but needs to be friendlier! Security did say they'll look in2 putting up signs about the sprinklers esp since they came on at 3pm! (And stop laughing at this!!;)

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank calady50
North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 26 March 2013

We booked the Desert Springs Villas through Vacation Candy and had a great experience. The villas and the amenities were wonderful. The customer service with Vacation Candy was great! I would definitely use them again for booking our accommodation.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground level unit close to a pool. All units face the golf course, so the view will be go...
3 Thank Kelly B
Denver, Colorado, United States
Reviewed 22 March 2013

Wife and I have our annual 2 weeks vacation and we come regularly to the BNP Tennis Tourney each year. This year we decided to try the Marriott's Time Share Desert Springs Villas I. We were so interested in the value we considered purchasing time here; even did an Excel Spreadsheet to see what payback would be for ownership over 20 years.

To our horror they booked us in Building G, which was utter garbage and uncharacteristic of the brand name. Lets just say to find your 1.5 year old daughter playing with a half dead cockroach at the beginning of the stay just about RUINED our whole time. I tossed it out and tried to make the best of it. Fast forward 3 days later and many roaches that were caught in glass jars, killed and flushed down the toilet and a wife that insisted we leave the property immediately because she thought they were in our bed (but were not). It was not a good start to our vacation.

Not to mention this bug problem, there were other problems with the room. Very outdated conditions and DIRTY and the worse part of it all there was no cleaning supplies, no vacuum, and the carpeted floors were so dirty I swore up and down my daughter had been running in the street as her feet were black from dirt. Overall I know Motel 5s that have better up-kept appearances and cleanliness. The place was so unsatisfactory that I will NEVER COME BACK AGAIN.

I made Marriott change our rooms and they put us in an "updated/remodeled" version. The room was much nicer than the first and no bugs but in my opinion still sub par. The worse part is the Manager tried to make things right after I told her nothing could be done at this point by offering a $50 food voucher for my family. Are you kidding me, what a joke! Her business acumen was as little as the cockroaches!!! I told her I was insulted by her gesture and showed her all the various pictures on my phone of all the little critters. My time per hour is worth 10 times as much and just to move villas took nearly 3 hours from start to finish. Lets just say I was appalled at Marriott's efforts and will not be coming back. I no longer will be a gold member with this Brand because of how this whole thing was handled.

Thankfully this was the only major hurdle in our vacation but beware of the bugs as even the new villa had one of which I flushed down the sink. Furthermore, the new Villa floor was as dirty as the first. Carpet hides a lot buyer BEWARE!

Room Tip: Make sure to get into the renovated section and above all stay away from the first floor Villas!
6 Thank walldive420
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 18 March 2013

The time spent at this resort was great. We loved the resort and the one bedroom condo that we had suited our family perfectly. The grounds were beautiful and the pools we very much enjoyed during the bout of unseasonably hot weather that we had. We found the bed comfortable and the kitchen was well equipped. We found the staff very helpful and friendly. Our kids enjoyed the kids clubs, although there weren't too many families around when we were there. We rented bikes from the resort one day and they had sizes right for everybody. Staff at "The Shade" were very nice.

We also went over and used the adjoining Marriott pool which was also very nice. It was nice to have the option of using that property (although not on weekends, I understand).

We are not golfers but we enjoyed watching others try as we sipped coffee or drinks on our deck. The course looked beautiful.

Our only complaint would be the wifi - OMG it was so flaky which was quite frustrating. It would drop out all the time. Not quite sure what could be done about that but it was very annoying.

There is a Ralph's grocery store and a drug store just a very short distance away which was good to buy groceries and the like.

Our family enjoyed the Tram, the Living Desert, Joshua Tree National Park, the VillageFest (Thursday evenings), and the Children's Museum while we were there. All were within easy driving of the Resort. You can high tail it on the I-10 (fast drivers!!) or drive through town, which was much slower with a lot of traffic lights.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 18 March 2013

We visited in March and are a couple in our 60s looking for relaxation and pools to swim in. Our one bedroom suite was lovely with an outlook on a well-maintained golf course. As we explored the property, we looked for pools for our use. The larger ones had a shape that made lap-swimming impractical plus they were full of children. So, we looked for samller ones. We were delighted to find a pool about a block from our villa labeled, "Quiet, shhh". This was the next best thing to finding a lap pool or better, one labeled adults only. Frankly, some adults in resorts can be obnoxious, so Quiet covered it all.. Each day, we used this pool for several hours. We shared the pool with two mallard ducks resident in the area and roughly 1 to 4 other couples all of whom were quiet, apart from one person who decided to share a mobile phone call with us all.

On our last day, two women arrived with 3 small children and a tub of water toys and large drink containers. As they were settling in, I went over to remind them that this was a Quiet Pool and, in my vernacular, that meant no kids. After all, there were at least five other pools that were clearly kid-friendly. Why this one? I was told that their kids were good and that had been there the evening before. In fact, they were very nice children but could not be quiet. Splashing and unmodulated childish voices are not "quiet" (nor should they be). One of the women ran off to find a manager. She came back and announced that kids were allowed in this pool area. She then brought the manager in and pointed me out as the complaining party. The manager told me in a loud voice so all could hear that, while the women were voluntarily leaving with their children, kids were welcome in the Quiet Pool. I felt as if I was being dressed down by this twit. Instead of respecting my desire for quiet, I was made into the kid-hating bad guy. I responded, "Give me a break. Kids in pools cannot and should not be quiet." I added, that we had been their every day and the adults at this pool did not engage in hearable conversations or otherwise make noise and that the kids in the pool spoiled my sense of solace and that I did not appreciate either the children, their rude parents, or his obnoxious response.

Frankly, neither my wife nor I appreciated being treated with such disrespect by this person. Regardless of management policy, the proper response would have been to have invited the women to take their kids to a kid-friendly pool and to explain quietly to me the hotel policy. Policy notwithstanding, don't say "Quiet" when that is not what is meant.

What was a very pleasant stay was marred on our last day to the point where I do not want to return.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Marriott's Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott's Shadow Ridge I-The Villages
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa

Been to Marriott's Desert Springs Villas I? Share your experiences!