“Nicely decorated, spacious and clean”

Marriott's Desert Springs Villas I
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Palm Desert
Reviewed 28 February 2014

We usually stay at the JW Marriott nearby, but since it was full we thought we would try the Villas. The Villas 1 is the closest to the JW so we chose to stay there. We arrived at 1:00 and tried to check in early but our one bedroom villa was not ready. Check-in is supposed to be at 4:00 so we were ok with it. We walked to the JW and sat by the pool until 3:30 when we received a call that our Villa was ready. We were pleasantly surprised, Our villa backed up to the golf course and had a balcony with a table and also a chaise. The room was clean and very spacious. Kitchen is nice with granite countertops and stainless appliances. Drawbacks were parking which was usually full near our villa, and the 10AM checkout which is too early if you're going for a weekend getaway.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
MVCI_Executive, Customer Care at Marriott's Desert Springs Villas I, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Thank you for visiting Marriott's Desert Springs Villas! We are thrilled you enjoyed your luxury villa and the close proximity to the JW Marriott. Our team appreciates your feedback and looks forward to your next stay with us in Palm Desert!

Reviewed 23 February 2014

As long time Marriott owners, we have stayed in many of their properties. This one has serious management problems. You are asked to check in at 4 pm and leave at 10 am. We try to follow the rules. We did request an earlier check in if possible. When we arrived at 3.30 pm, there was a line of at least 30 people trying to check in. I never saw such a trashy ambiance in a lobby of people milling around in frustration. We were told our unit would not be ready until 5.30 pm. There is absolutely no way management didn't know the room inventory for the day. Knowing the room control situation, they should be hiring enough housekeeping staff to accommodate the numbers and be ready for timely check in. Desk staff gave weak apologies.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank xoxx

Thank you for visiting Marriott’s Desert Springs Villas. We take your feedback seriously and appreciate you bringing your concerns about your check-in experience to our attention. We would like to personally respond to you and invite you contact our Customer Care team at Customer.Care@vacationclub.com or at 800-860-9384. We look forward to speaking with you soon.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

We have been coming to Desert Springs Villas every year for the last 15 years. The villas are the biggest for Marriott Time Shares. The place needed a renovation a few years ago and it got one. There are some housekeeping issues at times but overrall, I wish I could live at this place. The staff is great and accomodating with villa requests. I do believe they are just about done with their renovations, which have taken some time. Will be back in 6 weeks so can't wait for our trip.

Owners of Villas I have free use of the spa at the JW during the week. There were some issues with this a few years back. The spa amenities are fantastic. The pool is quiet and the service is great. The main pool at the JW gets very crowded and load on weekends but it is a younger crowd.

Room Tip: I think it all comes down to preference. We generally stay on the golf course but on the ground flo...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BradBRcckville
Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

Desert spring villas were good for us as the villa was spacious, comfortable with good amenities. We had a two bedroom villa which was by the lake. Our girls loved feeding ducks every morning. Weather was also good which made our stay really a memorable one.

Stayed: February 2014
MVCI_Executive, Customer Care at Marriott's Desert Springs Villas I, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

We appreciate your five-star review of Marriott’s Desert Springs Villas I! As a loyal Tripadvisor contributor, we take great pride in providing you with an exceptional vacation experience. We are also happy to hear your girls loved feeding the ducks during their stay! Thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 30 January 2014

We stayed here for the first time, and I hope it won't be the last. The property is the first phase of the development, but it has been kept up and the grounds are clean, inviting and safe. Our one-bedroom unit was spacious and clean. There is a shuttle available to the two golf courses on the property. Played both course twice and both were fun to play. Challenging but not intimidating. Very quiet and a nice verandah for lounging, readin, napping.

Room Tip: If you want to be near the quiet pool (no Kids), get buildings N or O
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jim M
Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

My family of five - children ages 9,13 and 15 staying a week I these lovely villas. The resort is one of the largest I've seen and there's loads to do. Since the villas are so close you can walk to the JW and use their facilities for free during the week days.

Villa- spacious and some newly decorated each has a washer and dryer, full kitchen huge balcony- 2 if you get the double.

The set up we had is where you have the 2 room option. You walk in and there's 2 a small hall with 2 separate doors- the first is a small 2 full beds and small balcony microwave and small fridge. Nice bathroom. This combines with the larger unit with the sunken living room with sectional couch that can be turned into another bed. The mattress was much better than a spring!

The master bedroom was large with king bed, vanity area, enormous soaking tub, shower etc. the master can also access the large balcony with chaise and outdoor dining area.
Because of the design you don't see your Neighbours but golfers may see you.

Pools- Villas have 4 pools I believe one with bar and food service and the Marriott has 3 large pools - one gradient with 2-6 feet deep.

Everyday there's lots of activities for adults and children of all ages- jewelry making, henna tattoos, desert animal visits and more. Some are free and some cost a few dollars.

Can't wait to return! Get these from owners and not the Marriott - saves a bundle.

Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank MonkTravellers
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We just completed a 4-night stay at this property. We had a 1-bedroom villa with an adjoining 2-queen bed room for our daughters. We traveled there for a family gathering nearby and didn't spend much time on property so I can't speak to the other facilities. Our experience and this review is based only on our room experience.

The rooms themselves were excellent. Very spacious, with split bathrooms and great golf course views. Lots of TVs and plenty of room to spread out.

Unfortunately, our experience was marred by several gaps in service. Nothing horrible, but enough to tarnish our feelings for the property and at a cost of about $400 per night, I don't believe our expectations were unreasonable. We had the following issues:

1) Our first night there, we checked in, immediately left for dinner, and didn't return to our room until almost midnight. Once in bed we realized that none of the beds had comforters or blankets...just sheets. It was late and we were tired so just went to sleep. But clearly, the rooms had not been fully prepped prior to our arrival

2) Our first morning, we went to make coffee but there were no coffee amenities (creamers, sugar, etc). I spoke to the front desk and they were very apologetic about the bedding and coffee and assured me that it would be taken care of. In fact, they sent housekeeping over immediately with comforters and coffee stuff.

3) Although the hotel advertises free WiFi and provided an access code, we had no signal in our rooms. I asked the front desk about it and they gave me a 1-800 number with which to call AT&T. I'm not sure why guests are put in the position of debugging their WiFi, but I did call AT&T who acknowledged there was a problem and said they have their engineering department take care of it.

4) We returned to our rooms the evening of day 2 to find that they had not serviced the rooms. But they had started. All the towels had been removed from both bathrooms but no replacements were provided! I called the front desk and they sent housekeeping over with towels. And there was still no WiFi.

I spoke to the front desk manager the next morning and she was extremely nice and apologetic. She assured me that there would be no more housekeeping snafus and that our WiFi would be working that day. She also agreed to take $50 off our bill.

Epilogue: On our last day there were no housekeeping problems. But we never did get WiFi service in our rooms. At some point you just get tired asking for the same thing over and over. In summary, the room was very nice, but the service annoyances really dampened our enthusiasm for the place. And I don't believe the manager's response of a $50 credit was adequate for the hassle. (It represents only about 3% of the cost of our stay...)

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank SIG2014
MVCI_Executive, Customer Care at Marriott's Desert Springs Villas I, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2014

Thank you for your detailed review of Marriott’s Desert Spring Villas I. There is no question that the Wi-Fi should have worked throughout your stay and that your room be cleaned properly. We apologize these problems impacted your stay and will follow up with the appropriate departments to correct the issues. Our team would also welcome the chance to personally respond to your concerns as this was not the level of service you expect or deserve.

At your earliest convenience, please contact our customer care team at Customer.Care@vacationclub.com or at 800-860-9384. Thank you again for your review and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.