“Great hotel in a unique location”

JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
Flemington, New Jersey
“Great hotel in a unique location”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We arrived for a business/family vacation and stayed for 4 days. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. They always greeted us with a sincere "good morning" or "hello" at every opportunity. Everything was clean and well organized. Very unique to have a boat ride (again the "captain" was very friendly) and exotic birds in the lobby. My 7 and 5 year old loved this.

The pools were nice, but a bit crowded. Also, would be nice to have a child area (shallow end or water slide) but this area is catered to guests 21. My children had a great time and did not complain. However they did get board after an hour or so. Drink prices are what you would expect ($8 for a can of beer, $13 for a Mojito), but they had plenty of free water with ice available. The Saturday day crowd at the pool was "interesting". 20 and early 30 somethings partying to a DJ, dressed scantily. However, we did not feel uncomfortable as security was ever present and all the guests stayed in line. Without kids it would have been pretty cool.

The food was wonderful, the grounds beautiful, excercise room spacious. The guests rooms were clean and comfortable, albeit ordinary. We liked the balcony which had plenty of room. We would also recommend The Living Desert Zoo (attraction) about 10 minutes from the hotel if you have kids. May even like it without kids. I am sure you can check out their website to see if it suits you. Anyway, would recommend this to anyone.

The only reasons for 4 out of 5 stars are the challanges of arriving at Palm Springs from New York (requires a connection) and the pool (which is great for adults, average for kids). Otherwise we would return every year.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (609)
  • Korean first
Norwalk, Connecticut
Reviewed 12 May 2014

First stayed at this hotel 25 years ago when it was brand new. There have been some building additions, but the property still has a similar feel and look. Beautiful golf course surrounding the building along with a private residential community and timeshares.

We were attending a conference there and had a fourth floor room on one of the wings facing the mini golf course and the parking lot. King bed, which was comfortable and clean and well made up each day. Good bathroom with tub and separate walk in shower (needed a bit of grout work). Overall a nice room, but perhaps just a bit dated? Long narrow corridors to get there.

We stayed for a day after our conference and what we thought would be a quieter day at the pool turned out to be a busy Saturday with loud thumping music from a DJ all day. Pools were clean enough except for the occasional duck leaving their "gifts" on the pool deck.

Spa was pleasant enough, but not really a special environment in my view. They had rain showers but the controls were too complicated for an old timer like me. Pool there has a nice view of the 18th hole of the golf course, but that too can have some disadvantages, as an errant tee shot came whistling through the palms and hit the pool deck while we were there.

The staff here is uniformly nice. Pool staff were especially helpful as the wind came up, making sure that the umbrellas were secure and that all were comfortable. Well trained crew throughout.

Can't really comment on the restaurants as we ate all "conference food" while there.

In summary? It was OK, but not on par with other "JW"s as far as quality appearance of both room and building compared to other JW's I have stayed at.

Room Tip: Face the pool and golf course if you can, and get a higher room.
Southern California
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I have stayed at the JW Marriott both on business and for fun. Recently, I stayed over night as a business trip and was first assigned a very nice room with a huge patio! However, the air conditioner did not work. After about two hours including contacting the desk, sending a repair man, waiting to see if it was fixed, I was moved to another room. I had to drag all of my things (already unpacked) to another wing of the hotel, up a staircase, to another room, which was not as nice as the first, but it did have air.

The hall ways near the sushi restaurant smells like fish and parking is inconvenient.

Although it is a little further off the 10 freeway and a little further into the Coachella Valley, I recommend the Renaissance Esmeralda.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the lobby area in the main building.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank DWRDDR
esther f, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
We appricate your taking the time to share the details of your stay. any constructive feedback we receive is extremely important to us as we're constantly looking for ways to better serve our guests. We will certainly review your air conditioning concerns with our team as we're always working to ensure thatthe needs of our guests' are being met. I hope that you'll consider returning to our resort to experience alll leissure activities we have to offer. thanks once again for your input.
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

The accommodations and staff were excellent! The resort grounds were immaculate and everyone was very friendly. The pools and fitness center were perfect. We do not golf, but we heard from other guests that the courses were great. We had a very enjoyable visit.

• Stayed May 2014
Palos Verdes Estates, California
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Recently, we stayed at this hotel to attend a conference. We had stayed before a few years back but I really didn't have a clear memory of the visit so it was like the first time. I loved the energy. We were greeted happily, directed promptly, there was water and some sort of self-serve tea in the lobby (I wouldn't recommend it but the effort was appreciated). The resort is sprawling so it was a bit of a hike to get to our room which was clean and serviceable. Our balcony overlooked the pool, golf course and the little lake where the gondolas sailed so the view was gorgeous.

I honestly can barely remember what the furniture looked like. The king bed was comfortable and the linens crisp. Unfortunately , the HUGE thing we both remember about the room are the awful pillows. They were polyester packed and had no give so both of us had a tough time sleeping and when we got up in the morning had the worst cricks in our neck. We called for feather pillows but the resort was so crowded they could only come up with one. If I could speak to the manager I would beg him to replace those pillows. They are great for reading or watching TV - sleeping, not so much.

However, having had a reason to call housekeeping, I have to say they were incredibly efficient, nice and sincerely sorry they had run out of pillows. They even did follow-up calls to make sure we were happy. Nice touch.

The pools were impressive, temperatures perfect and there were plenty of umbrellas. In 104 degree heat, I am always distressed when a hotel doesn't do its best to offer shade. Another nice touch was the full size plastic cups at the ice/water dispenser right at the pool. Excellent details and they were greatly appreciated. However, they may want to consider putting more servers on when the hotel is sold out. My son ordered a drink and it took 2 hours for him to get it. He wasn't at the main pool and there was a huge group of young adults who were partying hearty so it made it difficult for the servers to get to the other guests.

On that note, I would like to thank the manager who stopped to chat Sunday morning and apologized for the rowdy behavior of the guests the day before. I had noticed the extra security and realize that the hotel was walking a fine line trying to service all their guests. Acknowledging that made me feel as if we had not been forgotten.

I would have also truly appreciated one pool being designated - and enforced - as an adult pool. Unfortunately all three of them were taken over by families many with small children in floating devices and others old enough to yell "Marco/Polo" 'till the cows came home. My husband and I booked massages which gave us access to the pool at the spa. That solved our desire for a quieter pool experience, it just cost a bit more to get it.

Loved the spa. I had the 90 minute hot stone and it was the best I've ever had. Spa amenities were perfect. Love the personnel there.

The inside bars were nice. I ate a salad at one of the restaurants and wasn't overly impressed. We ate most of our meals out. I did notice that there were no tables in the large bar area where I could set up my computer to check in with work and have a drink. All the tables were very low. I know they don't want people to camp out, but at other Marriott's there have been computer comfortable tables in the bar and that is greatly appreciated.

Bottom line, we had a great time. Loved the little things - putting green, driving range, gondolas. Loved the big things - friendly and accommodating staff, nice bar, beautiful pools. We will definitely go back.

Room Tip: Ask for the pool view!
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 8 May 2014

My husband and I stayed here for three nights. We were with a large group, so the line was very long for check in! The sample teas served by Star Buck was tasty and very nice! The room we had was average, a sitting area outside the room made it nice! Fresh desert air! Our room was clean but not spotless! I'm a spotless kind of lady! Lots of pools, golf and tennis! Friendly staff!

Room Tip: Our view was the front parking area. Viewed a nice sunrise! I think the back side of hotels would of...
Green Features: Suggest to reuse towels to save water! I liked that!
1 Thank T D
esther f, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback on our resort. I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed many of the hotel's amenities, and I appreciate you sharding your thoughts on where we can improve. Thank you for staying with us and I hope to welcome you back to the JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa in the very near future.
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

One of the best hotels I've stayed at! Outstanding customer service from the front desk to the staff in the restaurants. Clean and comfortable room. The food in the restaurants is very good as well. I especially appreciated how quiet the room was. In-room fridge was nice as well. My only complaint would be that I found the meeting rooms and hallways in the hotel to be absolutely freezing! Bring a sweater or jacket.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!