“Not what I came for”

Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
Pasadena, CA
“Not what I came for”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We came to the JW desert springs in search of a quiet and restful weekend. We found anything but! The obnoxious club music blasting from the main pool area is intolerable. I can understand having an area for upbeat music for the pool area but as platinum members our favorite thing, and quite frankly what keeps us coming back is access to the spa area and pool. But even from there the obnoxious music has completely ruined any hope of peace and quiet. It's really too bad that the areas can't be somehow isolated. Don't think we will be back. Next time I will try to find a quiet restful oasis. I'm so disappointed that this property can't figure out how to manage serving a wide variety of guests.

I was willing to overlook the "no upgrade available" to platinum guest upon arrival. But we are sequestered in a distant part of the resort. The location would be overlooked but again, the blasting music permeates the resort. No peace to b had. I won't be back.

Room Tip: No good rooms this weekend unless you're okay being blasted by party people and obnoxious music
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank socaltripster
Chad S, Manager at JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
First and foremost thank you for your support of Marriott and congratulations on your Platinum status. I certainly appreciate your detailed observations regarding the pool area. We do have five pool options for guest desiring different pool experiences. Guest seeking a quiet and restful location can be found at a Spa Pool. We apologize if you were not pointed in that direction. I hope that we’ll have the opportunity to welcome you back to the JW Marriott Desert Springs – thank you again for your feedback.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (628)
  • Korean first
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 24 May 2014

This is a awesome hotel, great restaurants and two 18 hole golf courses. In the summer they will have a deal hotel and all the golf for a special price, There is something to do for everyone. Even a put put golf course for the kids. The pool is amazing too. I lived in the desert for years and we go here at least once a month for dinner at one of there restaurants.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

We were guests at the pool today, and my card was charged 5 times for charges that were not mine. The waitress Whitney had my card all day and never returned so it isn't a secret where the fraudulent charges came from. Don't expect any help from management Julie [--], they were yelling at us to swipe our cards again despite showing proof of payment being withdrawn multiple times and fraudulently from our accounts. If you dare go to this hotel, better pay cash. Despicable.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank AJ101511
esther f, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share a review of your stay at our resort. We greatly appreciate constrructive feedback from our guests as we're always working to deliver the best possible experience. our management team has been made aware of your concerns, particularly to the guest service as this is a core emphasis of the JW brand. I hope to welcome you back to the JW marriott Desert Springs in the near future.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I live in Seattle and wanted to take my wife away some where warm and romantic. We decided on Palm Desert as it's fairly close in proximity. She could relax, lounge by the pool and use the spa. I wanted too but also play golf. We arrived and were greeted like royalty. As we checked in we were informed of the additional $29.00 per day charge for using the parking lot, gym, miniature golf and storing my golf bag. Initially it was a shock but excepted it being that we would use the gym every day. The rooms surround a bar area and it's 8 stories high. We were given a nice room on the 8th floor. Here's the problem. They have large groups that dominate the facilities. Try having a romantic dinner with a group of 20 sitting next to you. There was what looked like a church group of high school kids that took over the swimming area and at night, every night a large group of at least 100 poured into the bar area creating a wave of noise that penetrated our room until 1:30 am. My tee time was early to avoid the day time heat, 100 plus, the problem was I couldn't sleep because of all the partying going on and had to cancel. This place is great of large groups or a convention just don't try to have a romantic time.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank greenejlg
esther f, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share a review of your stay at our resort. We greatly appreciate constructive feedback from our guests as we're always working to deliver the best possible experience. Our management team has been made aware of your concerms, particulary in regards to the noise inconvenience and not been able to enjoy a romantic dinner with your wife.We are pleased to hear that there were elements you enjoyed, and hope to welcome you back to desert springs very soon!
Moss Beach, California
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Why stay at the big hotel when you can have a 2 bedroom villa at the Marriott Vacation Club property next door? Sun, swimming & spa all nearby! I've been there so many times, but I still keep enjoying it every time. You simply MUST have at least one day at the Spa over at the Main Hotel Property. The BEST!

Lots of nearby attractions the family can enjoy: Shields Date Garden, The Living Desert, Wind Farms, Joshua Tree National Monument, and, even the Airport is lovely - with palm trees and a putting green!

Room Tip: I personally enjoy being in a lower room facing a pond so I can watch Ducks and Geese swim past. Fro...
Green Features: It's difficult to imagine a resort on a golf course in the desert as "environmentally friendly". They did have options about extra linen or no change of towels etc. during our stay.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Cid Y
Reviewed 13 May 2014

a great place to relax . food was fantastic at fishermans wharf and the breakfast and lunch seved at our meeting was top notch and varied for the three says we were there. only one problem that i had and that was quickly resolved by the front desk staff.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Jonesborough, TN
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Stayed at JW Marriott Resort & Spa April 26-29. I am a golfer and my wife likes spa services. This facility was very nice. There are 2 resort courses on site. For resort courses, these are very good courses. The tees and fairways were perfect. The greens were smooth and rolling a 10. I played the courses from the tips and they were challenging but very playable. There are lots of water holes but the fairways are generous. I played early and the pace of play was very good. The staff was friendly and helpful. I got 1 massage at the resort and it was very good. The spa is very nice and my wife enjoyed treatments there each day. I would recommend the golf and spa all inclusive package. You get a buffet breakfast and and dinner at the restaurants in location. The food was excellent and we did not get one bad meal. The pool is large, clean, and very well maintained. Drinks at the pool are made with top shelf liquor. It may be a little pricy, but, this helps to weed out the crowd. If you have ever stayed at Myrtle Beach you know what I am referring to. The rooms were very nice and quiet. There were several guests in for the Stage Coach Music Festival and most rooms were occupied. The rooms are very well insulated and we did not hear our neighbors one time. The beds were very good and you will sleep well. I would definitely recommend this resort.

Room Tip: We stayed in the main resort building. It was close to the restaurants and pool. I would recommend t...
Green Features: Staff was very friendly and professional. I received quick responses to all my requests.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm Desert
The Westin Desert Willow Villas
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
Marriott's Desert Springs Villas II
La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage

Been to JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!