JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Palm Desert
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I stayed at the Marriott Desert Springs in March of 2014. The overall resort was fantastic. Starting with the Valet Parking, followed by the front staff to the overall look of the lobby from the bar to the old boats floating in the water access, it was mind boggling. The spa/fitness room were great, quite a variety of workout equipment. The restaurant options were great, I did not have to leave the area. Swimming pool areas and bar service (what can I say, you have to live it) The golf course was excellent and I only p[layed one course, but had the choice of two. Overall great.

Room Tip: overlooking the Golf course or swimming pool
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank gregu9120
There are newer reviews for JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa

Reviewed 28 May 2014

My boyfriend and I spent a long weekend here. The hotel has everything you could ask for, no need to leave the property. The Staff are quick and pleasant. The food at the hibachi restaurant is amazing! The room service is quick and tasty but I would avoid the fish restaurant at the top of the stairs it is only so-so. The pool is incredibly crowded but the staff will help you find a chair. If you have a chance to try their wine tasting, do it! The tastings are very generous and the sommelier is great fun. The boat that takes you around the restaurants is cute and fun. Their Easter brunch is to die for!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GiaNinna S
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My husband and I took a trip away from the kids, and this was a perfect getaway for the two of us. This is an older resort. It's not flashy and modern, but it's very beautiful. Check in was smooth and the woman assisting us was wonderfully polite and friendly. We had her full attention during the process. I was escorted to our room while my husband parked the car, and the bellhop pointed out everything we needed to know and answered all my questions. I've seriously never stayed at a hotel where the staff was as friendly as this one. Every maid in the hall, every main thence worker we saw, everyone, greeting us and wished us a good day or asked how we were. Amazing.

We did have two instances where we felt it was lacking. I was still breast feeding at the time, and when I called ahead to inquire I was told there was a freezer I could freeze milk in, to just take it to the bell hop stand. On our second day I took a bundle of milk down, and the woman at the desk told me they just had a fridge. A bellhop was walking by and heard her and corrected her, and she asked him, "but does it freeze stuff?" Props to him for keeping a straight face as he answered, "Yes, it's a freezer, it freezes. Why don't I take it back for you right now." Second, we inquired at the concierge for a restaurant, and she sent us to a place that was exactly what we said we don't want.

Our first night we ate at the Japanese hibachi restaurant, and though it wasn't as good as the one we frequent in Denver and was about twice as expensive, it was still good. We ate at all of the different onsite restaurant options, and all were good. We did head out to the Tommy Bahamas restaurant three evenings though, as that was part of why we chose this vacation destination.

Maybe it's because we were there in February, but we found it very peaceful. There was one large bank group and very few families with children. My husband had specified that we were on a quiet, relaxing getaway, so they put us in an outlying room and all was quiet. We spent a lot of time at the spa. They were able to get me in for a massage just about any time I wanted one (expensive, so it didn't happen as frequently as I'd like). The locker rooms were great, they had nice showers, different steam rooms, sauna, and hot tub. I wish they had a coed area inside, as I didn't want to spend time in the hot tub and steam room away from my husband. But there was a small hot tub outside at the pool that we were able to sit in together.

We had a great time and would love to go back if we get a chance.

Room Tip: Specify whether you want night life or peace and quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Libby D
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We booked our Anniversary trip in Palm Desert after deciding not to go to Monterey in December since it's much too cold there during that time. We're glad we chose the Desert Springs JW. They were very attentive during check in and when we got to our room they delivered strawberries and champs to the room which I love. We were able to enjoy a desert at the restaurant complimentary as well, and we decided to purchase a second as well. We took a sunset gondola ride around the lake which was beautiful and only $5 + tip. We were there during a very slow season on a weekday so the resort was not very busy at all. My husband and I loved the exotic birds down near the gondola entrance and the pink flamingos out and about around the property. Although this resort does have a resort fee it's not nearly as high as vegas and gives you all of the ameneties you would pay for anyway like parking, internet, fitness center access etc. We loved just walking around the property and taking in the breathtaking mountain views and seeing how big and grand the resort is. We were also able to take advantage of the sights in and around Palm Desert and since we drove from Orange County we stopped at the shopping outlets on the way! If you do go to Palm Desert/Palm Springs area make sure to go on the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway and go through Chino Canyon and up to the top of San Jacinto Mountains. It's a beautiful view and they have many walking trails along with two restaurants. For a first time to the area for myself it was everything a girl could ask for. We hope to return again in the future and we will definitely be staying at the JW!

Room Tip: Get a room not facing the pool and it will be a much quieter stay.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2014

being JW Marriot expectations are high but service lacked the Marriot charm. The boat ride in the hotel always has a long wait and you need to dine at their restaurant to get on the ride. Shouldn't the ride be for the Hotel guest?

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank mehtas888
esther f, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We appreciated your valuable feedback and concerns regarding the boats. I have shared your comments with our LeadershipTeam for their consideration. Again thank you for sharing your thoughts and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

First I am an avid traveller and have stayed at hotels all over the world ! Great property however, super crowded due to holiday weekend - staff seemed trained to say "no"... Sprinkler head on golf course broken - my
New black car got hosed and when it dried in the hot desert sun - spots everywhere ! Called to complain and they said "what do you want us to do about it ...wash your car?" I was taken back by the condescending attitude I answered
"yes" . I asked to speak to mgr and they did credit my account $25 to get it washed...

Stupid pool wristbands system with a different color each day... If u lost them they gave u a bunch of grief about replacing them .

Would not change out dirty towels for clean ones -
Said there washer n dryers available on property to
do that ... We didn't have a w&d in our unit .... Really? So I tipped a cleaning lady cleaning another unit and she gave me fresh towels after using the same ones for three days

They gave one travel sz shampoo, conditioner for 4 people / when I called for more they said they are available for purchase in the market place.

Employees seemed unable to handle requests and blamed everything on the busy weekend ...general malaise with staff and unwillingness to go the extra mile ...

• Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank divadigs
esther f, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience regarding your stay at the Marriott Vacation Villas. I have forward your comments to ensure that it is address.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

The rooms are surrounded by incredible views of mountains and a huge lagoon, where you can take a boat ride to one of their several restaurants or just for fun. The staff is outstanding, efficient and eager to help in any way. Experience it!

Room Tip: Higher floor - water view
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
Marriott's Desert Springs Villas II
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!