“A yearly treat”

JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Palm Desert
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I have been coming to this hotel and spa for the last ten years and I have never been disappointed. The staff, grounds, restaurants, and spa are excellent. The main pool can be a bit overwhelming with loud, drunk, young people, but I normally use the spa pool. The spa is outstanding. The staff, cafe, pool, and amenities are all top notch. You will not be disappointed with this resort.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 7 August 2014

This hotel is very beautiful & classy... and the front desk employee Olivia Sandoval was very helpful! She went above and beyond assisting us and answering all our questions. I have stayed at different hotels and never experienced this great service! I will defiantly return :))

Room Tip: room closer to the pool... they have 884 rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Armine20142014
Reviewed 6 August 2014

The property is beautiful and very impressive. I found every inch clean and well maintained…and it’s close to the highway, Palm Springs, the casino, and the Aerial Tram. But you do have to self park if you don't want to pay a hefty fee, and it is a trek from the rooms. In the intense heat it was awful. Our room (#8223) had a wonderful view of the fountains, pool, mountains and golf course and a decent size balcony with a table and 2 chairs. There is no smoking on the property, not even outside on your balcony. Disappointing, as we love a good cigar when we travel. A tiny refrigerator is your only amenity. Tiny shower and regular size tub, and expensive Wifi. The worst was they fixed the thermostats so you can not set it below 68 degrees, and in the 107 degree weather our room stayed at a constant 78 degrees with no relief. With the high humidity that weekend I spent the entire stay drenched in sweat.

This stay was to celebrate my birthday, and so we went to the concierge to inquire about our dining options (both on and off the property). The young woman there was very gracious and pointed out the many menus on the counter. After going over them we asked about eating off property and she gave us a large book, also filled with menus. However, though she did mention that some restaurants are closed down this time of year, none of the “closed” ones were marked. It became time consuming and annoying to interrupt her when she was with other guests to inquire if the restaurant we viewed and liked was open…most that we were interested in were not. We mentioned we were celebrating a birthday and were looking for ideas to make the occasion more memorable. The concierge wished me a happy birthday but made no suggestions except to peruse the menu books. Fortunately, we ended up getting Layda (hope that is spelled right) from Guest Services on the phone when we needed a late make up of our room and she was truly wonderful. When she found out it was my birthday she had all kinds of ideas (like taking the shuttle boat to our restaurant, special turn down service, flowers, champagne or appetizers delivered to our room, etc). She sent Champagne in a silver ice bucket with two glasses and an amazing Fruit and Cheese Platter along with a lovely note to our room the day of my birthday! I can’t tell you how pampered it made me feel. She made us feel as though we were VIP’s. She truly made our stay special.

Our experience poolside was not a pleasure. The music was loud and geared to “20-somethings”. J.W. Marriott’s commercials all tout “quiet luxury” and this was anything but. We found it impossible to settle in and relax. We also encountered the same loud music at the hotel entrance that set the wrong tone for us immediately. Our server at the pool was “Mark” and he practically ignored us. Even though it was a Monday and very few people were poolside he was gone 20 minutes after taking our drink order. When he finally arrived with our drinks (we were sitting at one of the poolside circular couches that cost $100 day) he spilled my drink all over the couch and my boyfriend’s drink on the table and just walked away. We fetched a towel and water to clean it up ourselves. He failed to bring us water after 3 requests and ignored our trash from lunch even though it was obvious we were finished as it was stacked in a huge pile on the outside edge of the table. The menu was expensive “bar food”…hot wings, sandwiches, etc. A sandwich and salad took a half hour and they deliver it in flimsy “take-out” containers and you have to take the sandwich apart and put on your own condiments they send in little packets. Messy, time consuming and annoying! No luxury poolside! Our bellman Caesar who helped us the day we left was wonderful. He asked about our stay and was genuinely interested in our impressions. He was very professional and warm. He made us feel that our patronage was appreciated and made us want to return. This hotel is very nice, but it is expensive and I expected more from the service end. I also expected a classy resort atmosphere and instead felt like I had taken a wrong turn and ended up at the Hard Rock Hotel instead. They need to take a lesson from the J.W. Marriott in Las Vegas that has stellar service, atmosphere, and perks! That one exudes "quiet luxury"!

If you do go be sure to take the boat from the lobby to your restaurant, and play on the putting green…fun.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank pjofnh
esther f, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your stay with us. I am very happy to hear that your enjoyed several features of our resort and I appreciate you sharing your concerns. I have notified my management team of your feedback, specifically related to our guest services.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Trust me, you are better off sleeping in your car than in this hotel. A wild, out of control, and often dangerous frat-boy party hotel with dated accomodations and absolutely rude staff. The room prices are strotospheric and incompatible with what they are delivering.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
8  Thank Eric H

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We greatly appreciate customer imput as we are always working to deliver the best possible experience. Our management team has been made aware of your concerns. Thank you again for staying at the JW Marriott Desert Springs and hope to welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Elena, our waitress at the Rockwood Grill, was absolutely incredible, extremely thoughtful, timely, respectful, professional and sweet. She definitely stood out to us during our time there.

We enjoyed the pools, pool-side service and lobby bar. Our room was definitely older but was very clean and well maintained.

We enjoyed some golf lessons with Ryan who was very helpful and friendly--we had a fun morning. The golf course is absolutely gorgeous.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 August 2014

The property is beautiful, but when you pull up and the valet ignores you and helps everyone else around you so much so that you just go and self-park is not a good start. We were in the farthest 'wing' of the hotel and even some of the employees were not able to help us find our room. We requested a king size bed and were given two double beds. When we went to call the front desk on the room's hotel, the phone was dead and needed to be charged. Little maintenance things also like the drain in the shower needing to be cleaned and the dial of the shower needed to be tightened so that as you took a shower it would slowly move to be hotter and hotter. I know most hotels in this area have a 'resort charge' but I find it ridiculous that we had to pay to self park in a very shady parking structure that I would not walk around by myself in. We made the most of it even with the rain, but we would not go back. I was expecting a lot more for our money.

Room Tip: request the main part of the hotel
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sara B

Thank you for sharing the details of your stay with us. I have shared with my management team the specific issues you indentified. Please accept my sincere apology as I know we are much better than what you encountered. I greatly appreciate your feedback as we continue to look for opportunity to improve our consistency. I look forward to better serve you in the near future and hope to welcome you back to the JW marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I stayed here for a convention and found it to be a beautiful resort and a great value. I had two disappointments, one regarding the fitness center. While the fitness center offered everything I needed, It was a good 15 minute walk from my room, and it was accessible only by walking outdoors in the hundred degree temps. The hours were very limited; I think it opened at 7 a.m. and closed at 5 p.m., except it closes at 6 p.m. on Saturdays. This made it impossible for me to use since I was attending convention during those times. A hotel of this caliber should make more of an effort to have a 24 hour fitness center.
The other comment I have is that I was charged $12.95 per day for wifi. In this day and age, that is a real rip-off.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Marriott's Desert Springs Villas II

Been to JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!