“Horrible experience; not worth the money!!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa

JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Palm Desert
Lake Forest, California
“Horrible experience; not worth the money!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2010

I live in OC and wanted to get away for a night with my husband. This hotel looked amazing on line and I was excited to finally get a chance to stay there. Well, I was not impressed at all. THe pool situation is literally atrocious!!! This is a huge drunken party atmosphere filled with young drunk twenty somethings! There were literally hundreds of people at the pool; one bar with only 2 bartenders. It took 45 min for a server to approach us; when we finally ordered our drinks it took 30 min to get them.We had 3 rounds and each time we waited 30 min. The security personnel is obnoxious, there are way too many people partying and crowding the pools. I would have left if I had brought children there. The class of the people who were there were scary. Also- the fitness center had no headphones available for the guests to use; they were on order. Not a big deal, but when they charge $25 a day for resort fees they had better have it together. I was so disappointed; would NEVER return to this dump. They have a lot of nerve charging the prices they do for such a low class resort.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank kaydee910

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (584)
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2010

I have enjoyed staying at this hotel for the last 20 years since I was in college, and have, until recently, found it to be a beautiful and elegant resort. I was there 2 months ago and it is anything but elegant. Despite its official rating and prices, it is no longer a 4-star resort. When I arrived in the afternoon and went to the pool, I was told one of the two pools was closed because "Someone did something in the pool". I walked around the other pool and one area reeked of vomit. In many other areas the floor was sticky from spilled drinks. All of the drinks that were served at the pool were served in plastic cups. The crowd at this hotel had always been a very upscale, elegant, sophisticated crowd. Now it looks more like a chain gang. I'm sad that I'll have to find an alternative now to my formerly favorite hotel- the grounds here are so beautiful. :(

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank LosAngeles1234
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2010

If you do not like huge crazy crowds when at the pool, then I would recommend Desert Springs Resort if you are planning a spa getaway. When having spa services, you have access to the spa's private pool. There is poolside food/drink service so if you'd like, you could spend all day there relaxing by the pool, having lunch, getting massages, facials, etc.

We had a very large room with King bed and queen sofa bed. Our room overlooked the family pool, the quieter end of the resort, and had a large patio with table, 4 chairs and 2 lounge chairs. (Room 6030).

We took advantage of the spa package, room, 2 60minute treatments and breakfast buffet. Overall a very relaxing and enjoyable weekend.

Victorville, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2010

Went the weekend of July 9th for a girls weekend getaway. We had three rooms and both smelled very musty and the floors seemed dirty--didn't want to walk barefoot in the room. Both rooms also had little bugs (a cross between a small ant and gnats). The third room had a roach in it. Everything was overpriced. $12 drinks and a restaurant whose cheapest thing on the menu was $30. We ended up eating Sushi our first night which was good and ate appetizers in the hotel lobby the second night. The appetizers were good. We happened to bring an ice chest with sandwich fixins and snacks and this is what we ate for lunch. The pools are nice size and perfect for all the mingling and partying. It just wasn't really what I had in mind (non-stop partying and people grinding on each other in the pool). I expected the rooms to be decent, at least clean and smell free, for the price we paid.

1 Thank Victorville_CAJamie
manhattan beach
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2010

Marriott appears to be losing their touch. Although business is slow in the 116 degree heat, Marriott is cutting back on essential services. With a $25 resort charge that values their fitness center as worth $20 a day it seems like a no brainer. Hwoever, they never mention that after a day with customers you need to be in the gym before 5 in order to use it or else they send you to a sweat box with 5 filthy pieces of equipment which have TVs attached with nothing but static playing. I called to ask them to send someone down to fix the TVs but an hour later no one showed.I was so upset I took my sales team off site for dinner, I also was not impressed with the $4 club soda in the bar. Next time I will be at the Westin whose rate was $30 less.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2010

I don't even know where to begin! We just got back from a GREAT weekend at the Desert Springs Resort and neither my girlfriend, our friends or myself can stop raving about it. I've got so many great things to say about this place I don't know where to begin so I'll just throw out some random thoughts....

Check in was awesome - I believe the girl that helped us out was named Heather and she was super friendly, professional and upgraded us to an Executive Suite with an amazing view. Right off the bat, that set the tone for a great weekend! When we checked in the line for the front desk was minimal but at other times I did notice that it was really long.

The overall service was great. The bell staff, pool wait staff, lobby lounge servers, room service, front desk and everyone else were great. I think the security guards around the pool were egotistical power hungry jerks but I that tends to go with the territory. On the morning of our last day, we asked for a late checkout and they gave us until 1:00 PM. Then we decided to call and ask if they had a half-day rate so we could keep the room until 5:00 or so and he let us stay until 3:00 for free - this was great because we could enjoy the pool and then shower before driving home. If I had to complain about the staff (besides Security), it would be that there seemed to be a miscommunication about the hotel having a shuttle service - I called down and asked if there was someone who could drive our group of nine to Morton's and they said they didn't have a shuttle so we took taxis. But when we were done, one of my friends made a call and they sent a bellman to pick us up right away. Not a big deal really, but it would be nice if the staff knew about it.

The food - it was actually pretty good. We ate at the pool (lunch), the lobby bar (dinner) and room service (breakfast) and they were all good. I was expecting the pool food to be bland and available out of convenience, but I would recommend the Cobb Salad to anyone. Same thing for room service - room service is almost always bad wherever you go (food doesn't travel well, regardless of the hotel) but I had a killer omelette on our last day. It was a little pricey, but that's pretty standard at any resort.

We booked this hotel for my girlfriend's birthday to party. All over Southern California, this place is known for their weekend pool parties and they can get a little crazy with people driving in from LA, San Diego and Orange County. We knew this so we were fine with it but if I had shown up with my children, I wouldn't have liked it at all. They may call this place "family friendly" but I would recommend leaving the kids at home during Summer weekends. There were a few kids swimming around the pools, but they were dodging hundreds of partying adults and it was definitely not kid-friendly.

I noticed in some of the other reviews that people were complaining about the cost of everything. This is a JW Marriott folks - the top of the line of the Marriott brand (well, just under Ritz-Carlton) - and you are going to pay for that. If you want cheap, go to Motel 6 but if you want stellar service and facilities you are going to have to pay for it! Some people also complained of having to walk far to get to parking or their rooms - it's a BIG resort people, when you have a big resort you are going to have to walk places. If you want a convenient place to park, you can valet your car but if you self park (like we did - it's included in the resort fee) you will have a bit of a hike to your car. If you have a lot of stuff, I would suggest pulling up to the front of the hotel and dropping your stuff with a bellman then going to park your car.

All in all, it was a GREAT trip and I would HIGHLY recommend this place!

1 Thank zooch76
Orange County, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2010

We stayed here for 3 days in July, and it was heaven. The temps were fine (100ish) and there were PLENTY of chairs available at the pool. Poolside food and beverage service was excellent, prices were reasonable. Smoothies were $7, no tax. Sandwiches were $12. Raft rentals were posted at $20/day, but I was only charged $10. We ate at Mikado one night. Food was average, and overpriced. THere is a $25/day resort fee which includes parking (not checked, free to go in/out), wired internet (not consistent, a pain in the butt!), and turn down service with 2 bottled waters. I was only charged one resort fee, which was fine. I would have probably complained about the sketchy internet service if charged for more than one day. We had a very quiet room, but it was a long walk to the pool. I will definitely stay here again in the off season.

Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
#2 of 8 in Rancho Mirage
La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa

Been to JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!