“Very relaxing vacation”

Marriott's Desert Springs Villas II
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Palm Desert
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I will be the first to admit, when we were scheduled for a working vacation in Palm Desert I wasn't sure if I even wanted to go. Typically, my ideal vacation is on a beach. But, work was involved, kinda had to go, so I went with low expectations but trying to make the best of it. I was very pleasantly surprised!! The resort was gorgeous, the rooms very spacious, spotlessly clean, and comfortable. The beds were great, I loved the large bathrooms, and the views of the mountains behind the golf course was pretty spectacular. I enjoyed the pools, we spent a day at the JW Marriott spa (which is connected to the property) which was sublime. We definitely were some of the youngest people there, and we are early 40's, but it was fine, most of the older people were partying harder than we ever do!!

It doesn't have free daily housekeeping which is a bummer, and the rules were a little obscure regarding the use of JW Marriott amenities which was a little annoying. Other than those 2 things it was an excellent stay, and I might even go back.

2  Thank bugtussle85
There are newer reviews for Marriott's Desert Springs Villas II

Reviewed 29 October 2012

This is the second time I have stayed at this property and will NEVER stay here again. Spent one thousand dollars for a two BR villa for three nights. Chose this property because I am practicing to play in a golf tournament upon my return to Miami. I am a beginner golfer and was planning on using the driving range every day while here. They closed the driving range with no announcement beforehand to their guests. I went to the front desk to say how disappointed I was and they said they would see what they could do for me. They NEVER followed up. I finally called and spoke to a manager named Petra. She said too bad and there was nothing she was going to do for me except give me a break on my bike rental. Really? A thirty dollar break for a ruined trip?

I told them they should post on their website so that people booking villa would be alerted to the fact that the driving range is unavailable the next 25 days. She said that is not going to happen. They would rather deceive you and take your money. Unprofessional handling of my situation and the JW Marriott has lost a customer for life.

Room Tip: Find another place.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Chris C
Reviewed 27 October 2012

A nice quiet place although feels like being a fugitive in a retirement village. As our average age was 40 we felt positively juvenile that does not happen often. Housekeeping was lax, however the staff were lovely. Not sure I would return!

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Tracyonhols
Reviewed 25 October 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights on a road trip. The room was a 1 bdrm master suite which was very clean and had just about all the amenities in the kitchen (no hot mitts).

I loved the large soaker tub and the deck overlooking the golf course was wonderful for the end of the day drink.

However the furniture in the living room was really not that comfortable for an evening of watching tv (which is was we like to do after a day of golfing). We made due and stacked the pillows so it wasn't so bad.

The only "issue" we had with this resort was checking out. For express checkout, the card by the phone in your room says dial *22, hang up and you're done. Front desk says dial *66....and the message left on our phone by check out staff says dial *521. Huh??

We called the front desk and she checked us out the night before we left. But at 7:10am the day we were to leave, housekeeping showed up at our door. Seriously??

Management needs to work on this.

1  Thank Mrs. Richardson
Reviewed 24 October 2012

We stayed at Villas II in early October, 2012.This is a Marriott Vacation Club (timeshare) property. Our Villa had two bedrooms, two full bathrooms, a full kitchen, living room and dining area. This villa had been recently renovated, something Marriott does on a regular rotation. A flat screen TV in each bedroom plus one in the living room provided enough sleeping space and entertainment for a family of six to eight.

The Villas II are part of a huge sprawling resort which also features Villas I and the JW Marriott Desert Springs Hotel. There is a magnificant Spa on the property along with two first class golf courses. If you have never been to the Palm Springs area for vacation, you will be surprised by the natural beauty that surrounds you.

The Villas II has its own complex of pools and plenty of free lounge chairs, umbrellas and towels to help you enjoy the clear, sunny desert sky. Shop-a-holics will find everything from premium outlets to El Paseo which is a Rodeo Drive like boulavard in Palm Desert. It seems every famous designer has a shop on El Paseo.

The great weather supports a wide variety of outdoor activities and plenty of ways to revive in this luxurious setting. And, when it's time to eat, there are hundreds of restaurants to choose from. Everything from Fast Food to Gourmet.

Room Tip: Most all the Villas line the golf course and there are no high rise units. Two floors to choose from...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank SandMike
Reviewed 23 October 2012

We spent 2 weeks here divided between villas 1 & 2 although with the villas 2 you have to pay to use the hotels main pool but didn't,t bother us as the pool at villas 2 is just as nice.The apartment was a remodelled one with a view of the mountains and the golf course, it was perfect.The staff are very courteous although having the apartment serviced would have been nice.Will definitely be back !

Room Tip: Think the Upstairs units are best.
1  Thank Derek P
Reviewed 22 October 2012

This is a timeshare property, so there are a variety of room configurations to fit your needs. The studio room is locked off from the villa, but it has a nice counter with microwave, toaster, coffee maker and mini refrigerator. Included is a complimentary packet of decaf and regular coffee as well as filters for about a week. The first room we had did not have a bar sink, which makes washing dishes a bit difficult in the tiny bathroom sink. The second room had a generous bar sink and it was much easier to wash up. A complete set of service for two is included.

The villas contain a washer/dryer and there are others located around the property if you're staying in the studio. There is no charge to use it and they even include a complimentary box of laundry soap.

The villas have a full kitchen, including a dishwasher and dishwasher soap. Housekeeping will provide additional kitchen towels if needed. The master bedroom has a full bath, including separate tub.

I'm not sure if the linens are changed if you book a room directly with Marriott. Our friends have a timeshare, and thus booked the villa; we booked the adjoining lockout room through Interval International. So, we had to make our own bed and hang up our own towels - just like at home ! I'm pretty sure that if you want to change towels, you can ask the housekeeping staff to swap them out. As well - if you run out of shampoo, lotion, dish soap, toilet paper, etc, the housekeeping staff will bring it to you.

We didn't have time to use any of the facilities, but the public areas look well tended and in good condition. There are all kinds of pools scattered throughout - family pool, grill, quiet pool, etc. BBQ facilities are also available.

If you call ahead, the staff will prepare your checkin documents to be available at the front gate so you can go directly to your room.

The staff is also ready to help you make plans and reservations and/or provide suggestions for meals. There are two internet terminals with printers in the lobby; the complimentary USA Today is also in the lobby Monday through Friday.

There is a small market next to the lobby, but the Ralph's is about a mile away and has everything imaginable.

My recommendation - if you have a friend with a timeshare, ask them to book a room for you in the shoulder season. The price is unbelievable and this is a wonderful property to spend a week.

Room Tip: if you have a studio room, it'll be more convenient if there is also a bar sink to wash up .....
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
Marriott's Desert Springs Villas I
Marriott's Shadow Ridge I-The Villages
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa

Been to Marriott's Desert Springs Villas II? Share your experiences!