“Whirlpool Room is a great value, Staff is amazing, Location not fantastic”

Courtyard Palm Desert
Ranked #16 of 23 Hotels in Palm Desert
Reviewed 22 September 2010

My husband and I came to your hotel in 2009 for our first weekend away together. Almost a year from our visit, we returned to your hotel for our pre-honeymoon! When we came in 2009, our first room had a cricket and when we asked to be relocated you graciously moved us to a new room - which had a broken air conditioner. We didn't complain about it at the time because we really wanted to get to sleep. Needless to say, we didn't return to your hotel because of past experiences, but because it was sentimental to us. This time I booked us the whirlpool room for the additional charge, hoping that it would be big enough for the two of us to share, but knowing that past experience with hotels in general has shown that "Whirlpool Tub" usually means a standard tub with jets. You never know how your room is actually going to turn out based on the hotel descriptions... However, as soon as I saw our GIANT whirlpool tub I jumped into the air with excitement. It was beyond my expectations. Other room details that surpassed expectations: Bed Comfort, Bed Linens and Pillows, free easy to use in-room internet, towels at the pool & enough pool chairs and lounges for all guests even with an entire wedding party attempting to take over...

In addition, I would like you to know that your staff is amazing! The young woman working the desk when we arrived late on Friday night was very friendly. She checked us in smoothly, congratulated us (based on the honeymoon note I made when booking), and informed us of the shift change that would be happening shortly should we need anything. The next morning we went to breakfast in the hotel since it was free and we were overwhelmed by the service and food options. It really felt like we were in a restaurant by the way we were taken care of by the young woman on staff there. She informed us of an open table, but since we were in our little romance bubble we asked if it would be ok to sit away from the rest of the guest at a table by the window. She said that would be perfectly fine and set us up with coffee at the table we wanted. On the way back to the room after breakfast, we were greeted by 3 different hotel personnel. We prefer not to have room service when ever we stay for a weekend, so although our room had the do-not-disturb tag on the handle, the woman cleaning the room across the way saw us in the hall and asked if we would like a couple of clean towels.

I probably would have chosen a different room location, had I been the one planning a room for honeymooners. We were placed right next to a room of small children - we could hear them playing. Lucky for us, we don't mind kids. In addition, the walls must have been pretty well insulated because we could only vaguely hear them. But in general, it's probably not a good idea to book a honeymooning couple and a family with kids in adjacent rooms.

Really, the room location was my only complaint - and it's only a half complaint because I'm saying something on behalf of other guest that might be more sensitive to kids than we were. I have seen other online reviews where people mentioned the lack of a microwave and refrigerator, which I guess could be a problem for long term stays. In addition, I've seen some things about the hotel being "old", "rundown", or "dirty" - SO NOT TRUE. I didn't walk around with a white glove or anything, but it felt very clean to me and it's wasn't out of date in 2009 or this last trip.

Honestly, the hotel is a fair distance away from the nightlife, and without a transportation option (other than expensive taxies) we have talked about staying in a hotel closer to other activities when we return next year. But then again, we had such a great experience this time it might be ok to spend the money we save by staying with you on a taxi to get to the nightlife. After all, the Palm Dessert Courtyard Marriott is more than a hotel to us now - it's where our relationship started, and where we celebrated our first weekend as a married couple.

(and that whirlpool tub really is amazing!)

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 June 2010

We stayed one night at Courtyard Palm Desert on our way between Las Vegas to San Diego. We arrived in the middle of a sand storm. So we were glad that the hotel was situated right next to Applebees! It was a nice welcome since we didn't need to find dinner in a sand storm.

The rooms were a little tight but good comfortable beds, nice big tv and free cabled broadband internet. There was no microwave but we could use the one at the front desk - which was actually in the staff's office.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 April 2010

We were more than satisfied with this hotel. Although we booked through priceline at a very attractive rate, we were greeted friendly and were given a spacious double/double with mountain-view. The room was super clean, almost brand-new with comfortable beds. A huge flat-screen, coffee-maker and free wireless internet were some of the amenities. We travel a lot and Courtyard means for us guaranteed satisfaction! We thank the whole staff at Courtyard Palm Desert and will recommend this hotel to our friends!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 March 2010

Very expensive at 170.00 per night for a dirty smelly uncomfortalbe rooms and very basic.. Loud slamming doors. If you're aarp - you pay for breakfast and there is no coffee in the room either ... but they do give you a coffee pot (what's that about). No in room wi-fi, only one soap so you carry it back and forth from the sink to the shower. The hotel looks nice from the outside and the lobby but that's it.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank montanasouthernbound
Reviewed 15 February 2010

In my opinion, this property is beginning to show its age. As mentioned in other reviews there was slight, while not pungent, order that seemed to come with age. The room had a king-sized bed that seemed to overwhelm the room. Overall the room simply looked dated. Pool access is a concern. The cardkey security feature is broken and unrepaired or was disabled. Duct tape is holding the latch open so simply pulling on the handle gains access to the pool. Overall friendliness and helpfulness is marginal to acceptable. When asked about a business center, the front desk informed stated the computer was broken. This person was unconcerned, stated they had no idea when it would be coming back and offered not further assistance. The breakfast did not seem to be worth the price, so passed on it each day. This leaves only few nearby options. For the price charged by this property, more was expected.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank TexasEXtraveler
Reviewed 3 January 2010

Between Christmas and New Year's Day we stayed here for two nights. We wanted to visit Joshua Tree National Park and a friend recommended we use Palm Desert as base. We found this hotel on the Internet and booked a room. We are glad that we did, because it was great place to stay. The room was clean and comfortable and the staff was friendly and helpful.

We didn't eat breakfast there (the only meal they serve), but there are a lot of good restaurants in the area.

It was a short drive to the National Park and we spent a pleasant day there, hiking and sightseeing.

We'd recommend it to our friends.

Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 November 2009

This place was awful at best. The room smelt like burned plastic. My friend had a simliar room that also smelled terrible. They charged me $3 dollars for a bottle of water. The $12 breakfast was barely edible. Check out was 12 (noon) which I confirmed with the receptionist before going to bed. All I wanted to do was sleep in on my birthday a little. I was woken up to the sound of the maid knocking on my door at 7:30am. Then at 9:30am the maid knocked very loud again and proceeded to enter the room. Had I not locked the privacy bolt she would have burst in on us sleeping. No privacy. I asked her kindly to leave but she wouldn't. I had to call the front desk to get her to leave us alone. Very annoying. I wouldn't stay here again if they paid me.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple