Desert Sun Resort
  • Pool
Skylark Hotel(Palm Springs)
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
Infusion Beach Club(Palm Springs)
View Hotel
All reviewsquiet poolactivity poolwater volleyballcourtyard roomclothing optional experiencegrounds are beautifulgrounds keepersother guestspools and hot tubshotel rooms areweek daysmain poolnew friendslove this placetennis courtsholiday weekendgreat weekend
Reviewed 14 May 2014

My husband and I stayed at Desert Sun for our 25th Anniversary. We had our first visit here for my 66th birthday in February 2013 (and our first clothing optional experience). I recommended it at that time on Tripadvisor. This latest visit in April 2014 is our now our fourth time at DSR. The heart and soul of Desert Sun are the staff, owners and guests. With the exception of the change in bartenders, the staff have remained consistent and engaged, from manager to groundskeepers. The owners, John and Elisabeth, treat everyone as guests in their home rather than paying customers. Everyone takes pride in the beautiful grounds, rooms, and pools. There is a code of conduct which makes it safe and respectful. Meeting people in a clothing optional environment eliminates so many "social" clues that cause first judgement before a person is known. Desert Sun is our only choice for this type of vacation and we will continue going back.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
10  Thank bettysbest
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I have been here 3 times before and it truly an incredible place to visit. I have went as a couple, a single male, and this time I managed to talk 3 (2 females, 1 male) of my friends to go for their first experience. They were all pretty nervous, but It was pretty awesome how they adapted to the lifestyle in about 15 minutes. The staff and all the guests are so friendly. Everybody around the pool , knew everybody's name after an hour . That just doesn't happen at a textile resort.. We had a karaoke night on Friday, My one female friend that has never done this type of vacation before , sang like 4 songs. What a surprise. A Lua was on Saturday night, that was awesome. Everything about the staff and the resort is great, Beautiful, Friendly, Upscale, Restaurant /bar (though not always open),3 pools, 2 hot tubs. It's the people that go here that make the resort what it is, and the Owners, John and Elizabeth, who are there quite a bit. It was the 6th anniversary of them buying it, with a small dedication and you can tell how much they care about this resort. So in finale, let me tell you my what my 3 newbie friends. They initially had told me they would like to come here about every 5 years to be nice to me, but when we were in the lobby , checking out. They asked me if we should make reservations , right then for next year, because they wanted to come back on the same weekend. So we, and 4 other couples that we have met, are all coming back next year at the same time to continue this experience. You have to experience this resort and lifestyle. You are who you are. This is a pretty awesome place. And a quick Thanks to the owners, John, Elizabeth, and to the Staff, Michael, the manager, Theresa, Amanda , Tami, Tony, Russo, to the head chef, who's name I forgot. and To Chuck the local, activities director :}. Try it people . It's not that hard to do, and you will love it.

Room Tip: I personally like the just the hotel, because it is near the activities, but the condo's are pretty awesome.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
14  Thank Dale689
Reviewed 26 April 2014

...because of the praise, but--I assure you--it is not. I am a patron.

Desert Sun gets five stars because it provides a great service; namely, a larger and more upscale nudist resort than usual where the emphasis is on nudism, not friskiness. It is the only nudist option for single men in the area, and a safe place for single women to enjoy nudism. For that, it is a priceless addition to the Palm Springs and SoCal scene.

I have just come back from three days at Desert Sun as a man on my own. I have previously day-passed there with women partners. All three visits have been great, relaxing experiences.

Desert Sun offers three different pools, two spas, tennis courts and areas designated ‘quiet’. The main pool is the liveliest, with piped-in music and a volleyball game guaranteed to start up every afternoon. All other areas are much mellower and very restful.

Many will complain about Desert Sun’s “no friskiness” policy…no kidding, you’re not supposed to show affection/cuddle/kiss/embrace on the grounds, and the waitresses and staff will enforce this rule like nuns at a Catholic junior high dance. At first, this sounds ludicrous—that even married couples cannot cuddle in the pools and spas—but there is a very, very good reason for it; it reinforces that Desert Sun is about nudism, not Lifestyling, and so public swingers stay away. You come here to enjoy the sun and relaxation naked, not for a Hedonism or Desire resort experience.

Coupled with an absolute “no cell phones, no iPads” policy, this absolutely eliminates the appeal for any single men to come to this resort with creepy intentions of cruising women or snapping illicit photos. As a direct result, only devoted nudists come here with the best of intentions. Single nudist men, you can stay here! Single nudist women, you can relax here, too and feel truly safe from prowling. Thank you, Desert Sun, for this.

And relax you will—there are many sedate and quiet areas to the resort. During the week, when prices drop considerably, you will have entire pools and spas to yourself. It is blissfully quiet. The pools and spas are open 24 hours, so—shhhhh!—just go out in the evenings on a weeknight with your honey and, trust me, you can embrace and cuddle all you like in a pool or hot tub all to yourselves. And Lifestylers can certainly stay here, it's simply that Desert Sun asks that the action be kept in the rooms. People are here to relax with a capital 'R'.

Weekends are definitely more of a party atmosphere, but there is always the saltwater pool and spa off in its own remote area, which are always much more mellow in vibe.

The crowd skews older, especially during the week; many folks are regulars and nudist retirees who live in the attached condos. An older crowd and local owners can only mean that politeness and a relaxed pace abounds.

The rooms are decorated more nicely than they even have to be…towels folded into crescents, decorative pillows on the beds, etc. There are some older rooms with older fixtures, but near the main pool the amenities are quite nice—see other people’s photos. A step up from other nudist resorts.

While some Yelpers complain about the food quality and prices, I don’t see why; it has a nice dining room and full-size bar for a nudist resort, and the food is better quality than most nudist spots. You are paying the prices to have restaurant and staff open on the grounds of the resort…one that you can sit at completely naked and get full restaurant waitress service. While some complain about expensive drink prices, you can certainly bring bottles with you…rooms contain mini-fridges. Who expects low cocktail prices at hotels/resorts? The girls shake a good drink, and serve it with a big smile. Tip them well…you probably worked for tips once in your life, too, and since people bring in bottles for their rooms, this cuts into the girls' bar tips. Make sure to order a drink from them every once in a while.

If you want higher-quality food, just stroll across the street to the Riviera, which offers very elegant options….but at an even higher price, of course. Nevertheless, if more stylishness is what you crave, just put on your clothes and high-end dining is literally only 100 steps or so from Desert Sun’s front door.

Massages are available on-site, and are expensive…again, they are hotel-level prices, but less than, say, Burke-Williams. The masseuse Laurel gave me quite a good, deep workout of my stressed shoulders and neck. I get massages often, and she did a very good job.

Thanks, Desert Sun—you are a cut above the normal nudist options, and a safe place for single people interested in nudism first. May you prosper!

Room Tip: My room near the main pool was nice and modern....more modern than the rooms in the quiet area...but right at the top of the stairs, near the center of the building, I did have pop music playing starting at 10am just outside my door. It wasn't overly loud, and I could just shut the door and not hear it, but I prefer my iPod of jazz to Gloria Estefan and Toto's 'Africa'. Might ask to be away from these speakers--or the main pool on weekends--if you'd like quiet.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
17  Thank headrichloric a
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We booked DSR for four nights and we was so happy there, that we stayed one more. It is a beautiful place with beautiful atmosphere. No overcrowded. Great people are there. If you love quiet place with freedom natural feeling and want to relax, definitely go there. The resort is walking distance from palm Springs downtown and other attractions. Restaurant is ok and if it is closed, you can walk 5 minutes and will have a lot of possibilities.

Room Tip: Book condo with the pool side terrace. Modern, clean with kitchen.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Ivan K
Reviewed 20 April 2014

First off, the grounds at this place were really well maintained, everything was super clean and beautiful. We'd never been to a resort before this as we were worried we'd be bored laying around doing nothing for a couple of days, but it turns out this place was very relaxing.

We felt comfortable immediately and never felt self concious. We even met a couple of people who were long time regulars of this place who had tried other similar resorts in the area. We're definitely going back as soon as we can.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple