“Disappointing” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #39 of 71 Hotels in Palm Springs
A TripAdvisor Member
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2004

The hotel has been on my "must stay" list for several years. I grew up in Southern California and the hotel and the resturant "Melvins" is a legend. Well the room was quiet but has not been updated since the place was built. I would put money on the fact that it was the original bed! The jacuzzi tub didn't work and there was plenty of mold to go around for all.

I will opt for another hotel in the future.

• Stayed May 2004
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2004

We have stayed at this Inn many times over the last 10 years and have never been disappointed. The rooms are very charming and comfortable, and the grounds are lovely. The Staff is attentive. The restraurant has the best food in the area. I can't understand the negative comments.

3 Thank fromArizona
Oak Park, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2004

Don't pay any attention to those last two reviews. They are by the same person and they obviously did not stay in the same place I did.
Wonderful old inn with the fell of the gracious 1930"s. Fruit and cheese in the room. Complete maid service with turn down. Newspaper at your door. Great grounds and lobby and great restaurant. If you want to stay at a cookie cutter plastic modern place fine. If you want a fine inn, this is the place

4 Thank mfp21
Seal Beach, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2004

Not so nice! Such a distinguished reputation, but the rooms do not live up to it! First room we had was cold, dark, NOISY! Quaint isn't supposed to mean old and run-down.

7 Thank MrsB503
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2004

We stayed at this Inn for 2 nights, but we too were disappointed given the price. Most of the staff were nice and seemed to do their best, but the room we stayed in (Mountain View 3, one of the cheaper rooms of the propperty although still $150 per night) was relatively basic.

We too had problems with the bed (I woke up with back ache both mornings) and the noise (the refrigerator and air conditioning unit were noisy - even when the AC was not switched on- and we were woken up by neighbours both nights)

The first evening when we came back after dinner, we found another guest in our room sitting on our bed chatting to the housekeeper as she was turning down our beds (weird experience). The second evening, we came 'home' from a long day in Yoshua Tree National Park to find our room had not been cleaned and found out that they thought we were only staying one night. With hindside we should have packed our bags and left then as we also agree there are better alternatives in the area.

We spent our last night in the area in La Quinta Resort & Club in La Quinta and absolutely loved it (although we were lucky to find a good deal on expedia and get an upgrade to a delux room...!)

• Stayed January 2005
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Francisco, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2004

I chose the Ingleside based on reviews I read on this site and others.
The front desk staff was gracious enough to give me a new room after I complained about how terrible the bed was in the first room. I have never stayed anywhere with beds so bad. The second room was comfortable and nice enough except for the frayed dirty outdoor type carpet, but on my second night there were people in the next room and you can hear everything a person says just as if they were in the room with you.
Also, on the second night of my stay the remote control for the tv was missing when I returned to my room. I looked everywhere for it and when I asked the front desk for a replacement I was advised to keep looking for it. When I called back a second time, they did not answer the phone and when I walked over to the office they finally had a staff replace the remote. Except for this one person the rest of the staff were very friendly and helpful. Regardless, because of the noise, beds, and rude treatment on the second night, I will never stay there again. There are much nicer places in Palm Springs for less money.

8 Thank FedUp29
Gig Harbor, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2003

I've stayed at the Ingleside Inn numerous times over the past five years and each time my stay is lovelier. The Ingleside Inn has lush grounds, private accomodations (the bungalows are my favorite), elegant dining (Melvyn's) and impeccable service. Conviently, the location is one block off South Palm Canyon Drive -- where everything happens.
There are more competitive rates from neighboring establishments, but they offer bargain basement rates during the summer months (if you love the heat).

This place is tops in Palm Springs, but if you're looking for a more affordable option, try the Coyote Inn.

1 Thank Kris_K_D