“Oozing charm-NOT comfort” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #34 of 71 Hotels in Palm Springs
Newport Beach, California
“Oozing charm-NOT comfort”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2013

Definitely charming. But NOT very comfortable.
Lots of hard edges. Interesting rough-cut architecture.
Uneven slate floors to scrape your toes. Spacious suites with torn upholstery and heavy rustic chairs that will leave you with splinters where you don't want them.
Interesting stone bathrooms with crusty bathroom fixtures and ragged Ikea bathmats. One bathrobe smelled like a real veteran. The other was fine.
Good wifi, no phones or tv (I consider this a plus!)
Might get turn down service, might not.
Delightful bonfires lighting the pool area at night. But they will only light the candles in your suite if asked twice. Kitchens clean, but equipment is meager. Not even a bowl!
Arguably one of the worst beds I have encountered in years-both hard AND lumpy. (I wondered, at about 2 am, just what that mattress was really stuffed with!)
Be aware that some of the suites are NOT very private. They offer a thin visual privacy, but the party goes on inches away, and you're in it-like it or not! Its like setting up a tent in the middle of the bus station. Sort of private, but not really. Some suites are much more private. Select with care.
Parking limited and on the street. Lock your car. A good breakfast, but grudging service.
They have some nice amenities, but will not offer them. They are discovered only on close questioning.
We had several rooms, and I have to say that the difficulties were pretty much the same for everyone. The shortcomings bothered some more than others. Some beds were better than mine. Personally, I wouldn't go back, but it could have been worse. You can do better for the money.

Room Tip: Try to get as far from the pool as you can. Unless you are happy to throw open your doors to an arm...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
7 Thank Fierceowl
korakiapen, General Manager at Korakia Pensione, responded to this review, 13 May 2013
Thank you for your review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Los Angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2013

I have to state upfront that I LOVE this hotel. It's by far our favorite place to stay when in Palm Springs. It's sexy, quiet, romantic, charming. The rooms are sooo charming, I wish I could bottle it and bring it home. The old buildings and the furniture are so cozy. The grounds bring a lot of privacy as well. It's got a mediterranean vibe with the white washed walls and the exteriors. It's just a beautiful place! They offer a yummy breakfast in the morning too. If you want a scene this isn't it, but if you want to get away with your love this is the place! I do feel that the rooms could use a little love tho. It shouldn't be perfect, I get that it's not the vibe of the place. But the prices they charge should reflect this. We went before it got so expensive and it seemed balanced and there was value. Also, the service is kind but I wouldn't say extremely friendly, a bit cool. These things aren't deal breakers, and my husband and I sort of fell in love here, so we will always go. But I have thought twice about recommending it to some, not all, but some who wouldn't be okay with facets not working properly, cracks in the walls, chipped paint.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank trosubkis
guatemala city
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2013

We just got back from Palm Springs. We stayed at the Korakia Pensione. I booked two rooms. They were nice, clean. The staff was always very helpful. The location is great, just a few blocks from the main shopping street. The view is lovely, surrounded by the mountains. In the evening, they set 3 small bonfires around the pool, and hang lamps from trees, very nice touch. The breakfast is also good. Might be a little overpriced.......

Room Tip: we had rooms Sparta studio, and Byzantum, really quiet, and close to the pool. Nice trees around.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank chinche
Salinas, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2013

My husband and I stayed with a group of friends over a long weekend and had a wonderful time. The property is quiet and relaxing, the staff extremely helpful. Downside is there isn't a bar onsite, but we brought our own beverages and enjoyed them in acrylic glasses poolside. Also, because the property is in a residential neighborhood, there is an issue with any kind of noise at night. It didn't hamper our enjoyment, but just something to be aware of. Location is wonderful - we walked to and from dinner every night as well as downtown to a fabulous array of vintage stores and boutiques. Bonus - the beds are really comfortable.

Room Tip: Ionian Bungalow just off the pool is wonderful. We had several jealous people come by.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Teri B
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2013

My husband and I stayed in the Tangier Studio at Korakia Pensione over the weekend because we had a wedding to attend in Palm Springs. We were supposed to stay for two nights but came back to LA after just one night here. Korakia looked promising on the website and received four stars on Tripadvisor so we figured it would be fine. We were very wrong.

The Tangier Studio was the oldest, dirtiest and most unkempt hotel room I've ever seen. In the living room/bedroom area, there was a hole in the sofa upholstery and the bed linens felt mangy. There are no closets anywhere in the room. An armoire is provided but it has floor to ceiling shelves so there is no place to hang any clothing and no hangers provided. There is not a single hook anywhere in the room or in the bathroom for that matter. So there is nowhere to hang a wet towel, a robe, or any clothing you would prefer not be wrinkled.

However, the bathroom made the living room look like the Four Seasons. The bathroom is about 25 years old and has not been updated or repaired since. There are massive scratches in the tile behind the sink, the shower head is decrepit and rusting as is the shower drain. The shower head is mounted at a bizarrely low height. I'm 5'6 and the water was hitting me on the neck so good luck showering if you're 6'0 tall. There were holes in the bathroom curtain and one of the towels they gave us had holes in it as well. The mirrored medicine cabinet is ancient and scratched. The bathroom floor is painted cement with lots of marks on it. It's hard to understand how Korakia can charge money to have their guests stay in a room that looks like it belongs in a frat house on Moroccan night.

The grounds of Korakia are pretty enough but nothing you can't find at many other boutique hotels in Palm Springs. The pool on the Moroccan side was scenic but, again, dirty with things floating in it. There was a note in the literature presented to us at check in to "hide your valuables upon leaving the room." Not promising.

I'm baffled by the positive reviews of this place so I can only imagine that some rooms must be nicer than the Tangier Studio. However, I wouldn't waste your money by taking a gamble to find out. Stay somewhere else.

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ZimZim01
korakiapen, General Manager at Korakia Pensione, responded to this review, 9 April 2013
Thank you for your review. The items you mentioned will be reviewed closely. We do our best to ensure that we reach both our guests expectations and maintain the hotel's authentic charm. The sign that you saw in the closet is merely regarding being responsible for your belongings and is customary in hotels. It is usually found on hotel doors etc. Please believe me when I say that over half of our business is return guests. I think I can speak for my regular guests when I say that Korakia is more then a hotel, it is an experience. It is special and not easily found. I am not sure how much of the hotel you experienced while you were here but there are many sweet details that I am sure if you would have experienced you would have loved.
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2013

My husband and I were thrilled to find a deal through Luxury Link making it possible for us to book the Orchard House, the premier room at Korakia Pensione in Palm Springs. We just got back from our trip, having spent 2 wonderful days in that beautiful room. The property itself is gorgeous as well. And all within 2-3 blocks of the main restaurant district on S. Palm Canyon Drive. We walked to dinner every night and when we returned, the romantic grounds were lit by Moroccan-style candle lanterns. It's truly a sight!

The pool areas are pleasant and water is available during the day, although they could refill the ice and cups more frequently. We also received complimentary fruit smoothies while laying around the pool.

The breakfast was served in the quaint courtyard outside the Mediterranean side of the property. The second morning my husband went over to the office (there are no phones for calling, but it wasn't a big deal) and asked if we could have breakfast delivered to our room. About 15 minutes later a nice gal showed up at our gate with hot breakfast on a tray. The breakfasts were by no means fancy or gourmet, but they were both hot and tasty. And there were plenty of oranges, likely from the citrus grove inside the Orchard House gate.

But the best part was our room. The pictures online don't do it justice. The space is large and feels both rustic and luxurious. Once inside the gate, closing a few curtains makes the space completely private. The bedroom area has accordion fold floor to ceiling windows, so we kept them open (although we closed the curtain at night). And the living room area has a cool garage-door sized window that pivots, so we kept that open. There were no security concerns since the outside door to the room is actually the gate. We sunbathed on our veranda and read in the shade of the private citrus grove. It would have been nice to have used the waterfall-fed whirlpool, but it itsn't heated and didn't get warm enough to enjoy. We figure they must change the water after every guest, so if you stayed for a week or if it was summer, the water might get more pleasant. We never used the dining room, but enjoyed have the kitchen with a full-sized refrigerator/freezer. It made it possible to eat lunch of cold cuts, cheese, bread and fruit. The atmosphere was perfect for it and made the vacation more affordable.

We felt as though the service came up a little short. When we checked in, the woman gave us our keys and showed us to our room, but didn't tell us anything about the amenities. They show a vintage movie every evening and we had to ask where and when that would be. We read somewhere that there's some sort of tea service, but we didn't hear anything about that. None of this was enough to seriously impact our experience, though.

Overall we had a wonderful time. Korakia Pensione was just the place to celebrate our 10th Anniversary. It's a splurge, but we highly recommend it.

Room Tip: All the rooms look beautiful and romantic. Be aware that the ones facing the pools may be less priv...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 127AndreaS127
San Francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2013

We usually stay in Palm Desert but decided on Korakia after seeing an article in Sunset magazine. Are we glad we did! Such a welcome switch from the hordes competing for a chaise by the pool. A few blocks from the center of Palm Springs but remarkably quiet. Best part is the staff who cannot do enough for you and make you feel like you are an honored houseguest. Breakfast in the courtyard is a bonus and catch a screening of Casablanca under the stars. A bit pricey but worth every penny.

Room Tip: They are all different. I would avoid ones next to the lobby but there really aren't any bad ch...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends