“Beautiful Hotel, Ugly Staff Attitude”
Review of Hyatt Palm Springs

Hyatt Palm Springs
Ranked #36 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
Las Vegas
“Beautiful Hotel, Ugly Staff Attitude”
Reviewed 28 March 2010

1st trip to Palm Springs with my daughter's cheer team. Walk into this beautiful hotel very modern. Go to check in, and they tell me my room is ready and it seemed as though it would be smooth sailing and a wonderful experience. Well the room being ready was about the only thing easy.

I was told there would be a hold placed on my credit card which was okay, only to find out later (when I checked my bank account) that the hold was on top of the charges - when I called to verify the charges with the front desk I was told that the hold will stay on my card for 30 DAYS!!! Imagine my surprise - being that this was not spelled out to me during check in or when I made my reservation. On top of the front desk staff having an attitude and rude because I was asking the reason for such a long hold. While the staff member was talking to me the staff member attempted to have a conversation with another customer, never asking me to hold or tell the other person that they will be right with them. The staff just went about answering they questions to where I told them I am still on the phone. Very unprofessional.

Rooms are nice - but lack blankets. Had to call SEVERAL times to get two extra blankets. Called room service for plates and napkins - which NEVER made. Had to call four (4) times to get towels in order to take a shower!!!!!! Was very tempted to go back down stairs to the pool area and get towels, it would have been a lot faster. I mad the four calls because three out of the four calls fell on death ears, guest services goes straight to voice mail majority of the times.

And the worst thing is the things (yes things, more than 1) I found under the bed. But I will save you from the gut turning that I experienced.

Pros: Beautiful lobby, nice looking rooms
Cons: Horrible services, unreasonable length of hold time, under the beds, oh and did I say SERVICE was bad

• Stayed March 2010
HyattPSGM, General Manager at Hyatt Palm Springs, responded to this review, 28 March 2010
I am embarrased and disappointed to hear we failed you on this visit. I apologize for the delays you experienced. Even during this busy spring vacation season, the delay in service is unacceptable. I have followed up on the credit hold as it was explained to you and will recap it again here for all future travellers as it is a standard process in all hotels and sometimes causes confusion - in hotels an authorization will be taken on a credit card or debit card at check in for the estimated room and tax for the total stay, plus an additional amount per day for anticipated extra charges - parking, room service, restauranat, etc. Once the guest checks out the final total is transmitted to the bank and the hotel advises the bank it releases any further hold on the credit card. However, at that time it is actually the bank that releases the hold on credit cards and not the hotel - some banks may take up to 30 days to release this hold, which is why the 30 day time period was mentioned.

Thank you again for your comments to allow us to better our hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
California
Reviewed 23 March 2010

This hotel had been renovated since the last time I was here several years ago. They have updated it beautifully. Here are the positives, great rooms, very spacious and modern, beds very comfortable and clean, pool had great lounging areas and relaxing nap music, great location. Negatives are if you are on the street side it's extremely noisy-BRING EARPLUGS! the pool is not that big so nor is it meant for kids but there are lots of kids there so if you are an adult without kids you may not like it and if you have
kids it's not that great. Two cockaroaches found in the tub, ewww! the drinks by the pool were terrible, but the food was excellent. Rooms weren't quite ready when we checked and had to wait and were offered no discount. Overall I say go just know what to expect

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
Thank you for your comments from your recent visit. I am pleased you found the design and amenities to your liking. Regarding the noise comment, we are located in downtown on the main street of Palm Springs so there is both auto and pedestrian traffic day and night as a result. We are also surrounded by many restaurants, shops and clubs which is ideal for guests who want to make a short walk to attractions but there may be noise associated with this. The hotel in it's renovation replaced all the doors and windows in the hotel with new energy efficient sound proof ones to block sound. It may not block out all sound and I am sorry you were inconienced in this way. During this Spring Break vacation period, Palm Springs has many families visiting on vacation at all hotels, including ours. On peak pool days such as Saturday and Sunday, you might find our pool and pool deck crowded with our guests. Thank you again and we hope to have you visit us on another occasion.
San Diego
Reviewed 22 March 2010

I'm a Hyatt Gold Passport member and only stay at Hyatt hotels for business. As a result, I have attained many Hyatt points and used my points for leisure stay this weekend at the Palm Springs Hyatt. I would have to say it was the worst customer service I have experienced at a Hyatt hotel or any hotel for that matter. The front desk staff was very rude. I booked two rooms. One room for Fri-Sun and another room for Sat-Sun. When I asked what time I could check-in to my 2nd room on Sat, the front desk told me the room had a 4pm guaranteed check-in. When I came back at 4pm they told me that the room wasn't ready. I informed them that I was told it was a 4pm GUARANTEED check-in and then questioned me and asked me who told me that. I told them the morning front desk staff told me that. So they proceeded to ARGUE with me and said 'ok well we can guarantee you a room except it's not the room you booked. The room we can give you is on another floor and it is a smoking room." I told them that I didn't want that and that i wanted the room i was promised. They told me that i couldn't get it and the best they could do was call me on my cell phone to let me know when it was ready. When my guests arrived at 6pm, they went attemped to check in to the room and they were still told it wasn't ready. This was very inconvenient since it was 6pm and again the staff was rude and not accomodating. They finally just gave us the room. The room was obviously not clean (maybe which is why they said it wasn't ready) because all the glasses in the room were dirty! When we called the next morning to ask for a late check out they said "no late checkout was available that day." We basically couldn't check-in until 6pm but had to leave by noon?! This was ridiculous!!!

Overall, the experience was not a pleasant one. The hotel needs major customer service training because it could affect repeat business (like myself) who usually stays as Hyatt hotels. I'm unhappy I wasted many points on this hotel and it all came down to a rude staff.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
HyattPSGM, General Manager at Hyatt Palm Springs, responded to this review, 23 March 2010
Thank you for your comments on the check experience this past Saturday. I am sorry that you were delayed in getting into your 2nd room. There is no excuse for the delayed time. The hotel had a large check out and check in on Saturday resulting in some delay in getting all rooms back by our traditional late afternoon time period. Some guests were inconvenienced including yourself and I apologize. I am contacting you directly to handle this further. Thank you again for reaching out to us.
Irvine, CA
Reviewed 14 March 2010

I've stayed four times at this property over the last two years. The purposes were a mini-reunion with college friends and other quick vacations such as local events. It was good / convenient before the renovation and even better since. As others have noted, the location for downtown Palm Springs events can't be beat. We stayed there for the Palm Springs International Film Festival and walked to the venue. On our last visit, the monthly Thursday night street festival took place right outside (though you were still able to pull up and enter the hotel's parking garage easily). I will note one downside, for me, which is that the city side rooms are nosier than the mountain / pool side, with Palm Springs main avenue right outside. People should know that it's close to a 30 minute drive to get to Indian Wells (site of famous tennis tournaments, etc.) The staff are helpful and the service good. Our only on-site meal was pool side lunch, which was tasty. We look forward to staying there again.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
HyattPSGM, General Manager at Hyatt Palm Springs, responded to this review, 16 March 2010
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on the hotel and our great downtown location. Many of our guests enjoy the city side view over the town and watching all the action along the street and on the Thursday evening Street Fair. And with that does come the noise from the evening activity which fortunately is mainly blocked with our new soundproof doors.
New York City
Reviewed 12 March 2010

We loved this place! It is very sleek and very clean looking. They just remodeled it and it has a real "WOW" factor but still has the Palm Springs feel to it. Everyone working here is on it! They were very helpful to us from the get go. The rooms are very nice and the beds are extremely comfortable - what is their secret? My bed at home is not this comfortable!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
HyattPSGM, General Manager at Hyatt Palm Springs, responded to this review, 14 March 2010
Thank you! We are so pleased you enjoyed your visit and found the hotel and our team memorable. We hope to welcome you back on another visit in future.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 1 March 2010

I booked one night at the Hyatt Regency Palm Springs as a last minute getaway, for only $99. Since the hotel was recently renovated I had high expectations. Unfortunately, the staff was apathetic and the rooms were unusually dirty. This is something I have begun to expect from Hyatt properties. Even though the rooms are spacious and very nicely appointed, there were small pieces of trash all around the room, stains on the furniture and walls, and the tile grout in the bathroom was absolutely FILTHY. Most disturbing was the fact that the toilet seats were not replaced during the renovation, and were yellowing and cracked. On the plus side, the balcony was clean and large and the view was superb, a great place for relaxing in the afternoon sun. The bed was comfortable but far too soft, I felt like I was sleeping in a hammock. The location is great, walking distance to everything: shops, restaurants, etc. You will be charged for self parking ($14) and a "resort fee" of $12 (mandatory) for internet and use of pool, etc. There are no HD TV channels, and the picture quality was horrible. With better management this could be a fantastic property. I would not return nor would I recommend it to others.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank plasticintruder
HyattPSGM, General Manager at Hyatt Palm Springs, responded to this review, 3 March 2010
Thank you for your frank comments. Having dirty rooms is obviously unacceptable and we will investigate this immediately. As you noted, the toilet seat replacement is on going at this time and I apologize for this inconvenience but can assure you and our guests that the hotel maintains a high standard of housekeeping as noted in previous comments. I hope that you will consider a return visit in future to allow us to regain your confidence.
West Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 25 February 2010

We stayed here on the return leg of a trip to Yuma. This hotel is right on the main street of the most popular area of Palm Springs. The location is excellent - we walked to dinner, shops, and since we were there on a Thursday night, there was a street fair with vendors and music to walk around.

We upgraded to a VIP suite so we'd have more room for the family. It was a beautiful suite - very pleasant place to stay. Two full bedrooms, three balconies, nice view of the mountains and pool area. One of the bedrooms had a thermostat control for temperature, which we really liked. The other one had one of those dials for "low heat", "low cool", etc., which worked ok, but we don't like as much.

Nice seating areas in this suite, with flat-screen tvs in the family area and both bedrooms. The hotel pool area is beautiful as well, however it does close at 8pm (probably to avoid noise for families). The pool area includes a large hot-tub, lots of seating and fancy lighting, a bar area - very nice! My daughter was only disappointed in that we didn't get back in time to try the pool.

Driving up to the hotel told us we'd probably like the place - nice entry, we were greeted immediately by friendly staff, the reception clerk went beyond finding the best room for us and helped us plan our dinner as well.

The hotel is only about a 6 minute drive from the airport, however there was no noticeable noise.

As others mention, there is a resort fee with this hotel, as well as a parking fee. We had no problem at all with this, however, as we knew in advance and felt that we received something for this small fee.

Bottom-line: No question about it - if we are arriving in Palm Springs on an afternoon flight in the future, this is the place we plan to stay. We loved our stay here and wish we had more time at this hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
Thank you for taking to time to share your experience and comments. We appreciate your business and hope to welcome you back another time.