“Sadly, this cute hotel is now for spring breakers”

The Saguaro Palm Springs
Ranked #35 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
Los Angeles, California
“Sadly, this cute hotel is now for spring breakers”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

When this hotel opened, it was a great alternative to the overpriced Ace Hotel a few blocks over. Now, it seems it has turned into a "Spring Break" summer option for everyone from the Inland Empire. My girls weekend in a nutshell consisted of the following highlights: 17 less chairs by the pool because they were damaged the weekend prior by a party, my friend walked in on a "3 some" of girls getting it on in the pool bathroom, the pool was so cloudy and gross we thought we may come out 6 months pregnant. The hallways reeked of weed, there was barf and cigarette butts on the floors and a room service tray that was there over 24 hours, AND a cockroach crawled up my friends back into her hair and down her leg into the pool at 8pm. The walls are also paper thin so we got woken up at 8am by the dancing cows upstairs who clearly had been up all night. I would suggest another hotel alternative, especially if you have kids.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Jill A
SaguaroPS, Manager at The Saguaro Palm Springs, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
First and foremost, I want to assure you that we hold our hotel to the highest standards. While we do pride ourselves on offering a fun atmosphere, we do not do so at the expense of our guests. I do appreciate you taking the time to reach out, Jill, as it presents the opportunity to make things right.

When it comes to the roach, I do want to apologize that you encountered one by the pool. That said, they are outdoor creatures and while we have pest control, they sometimes crawl around outside, their natural habitat.

The last thing we want is our guests to leave unsatisfied, so I sincerely apologize that we missed the opportunity to improve your experience before you left. Hopefully you'll give us a chance to show you that we're still the 5-star hotel you love.

Steve Rachmat, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
  • Polish first
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed 20 June 2014

My friend and I stayed here as a part of a ticket/accommodation Coachella package. For the most part the staff were super friendly. The decor was bright funky and our well outfitted room was serviced to perfection every day. The desert wanderer pool party was sooo much fun everyone was having the best time chilling by the pool. What was even better is the rooms are well noise proofed so on the days we didn't feel like getting up and partying so early the music outside didn't keep us awake. The huge shower was amaaaazing to come back to after our day/nights at Coachella! Just stay here...you won't regret it!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
SaguaroPS, Manager at The Saguaro Palm Springs, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Hearing this glowing feedback is more rewarding than you know! My sincerest thank you for taking the time to spread the good word about us here on TripAdvisor. I look forward to sharing your compliments with the team almost as much as I look forward to welcoming you back! Next time you're in Palm Springs -- you'll know where to find us.

Take care,
Edmonton
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Beautiful bright colors. Repainted basic rooms, but msde better by the fun retro vibe. Balconies overlooking the pool is great. There was no pool party when we were there but the guy running the shack and drinks was Super friendly. There was a photo shoot out there one day too. Kinda cool. Staff was good across the board actually. It would be great if they used the shuttle as more of a cab when you want to go somewhere other than downtown. I was surprised at the lack of blended drinks every where. The price was just right though!! There is a cheerleading competition at the end of January and the hotel started to fill with families and cheer bows on the day we left. I might actually be back with my all-star cheer leader next year but it's definitely a lot of kids.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
SaguaroPS, Manager at The Saguaro Palm Springs, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share this valuable feedback. When it comes to your stay, I'm happy you appreciated our bright colors and great balcony views. I look forward to sharing your kind words with the team almost as much as I look forward to welcoming you back. In fact, I'm all ears on how we can improve for your next visit. There's few things we love more than further impressing our valued guests!

San Diego
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Not a bad property choice for a stay in Palm Springs, especially if you want dog friendly. I do have to say my expectations were a bit higher than what I actually experienced, but still would consider staying here again.

Pros:
Large, clean, brightly colored rooms.
All rooms have balconies and/or patios
Comfortable beds
Good size mini fridge in the rooms
Dog friendly - no fee which is nice
Check-out staff was great/friendly
Given late check-out for no charge
Nice bathroom amenities - loved the lotion and shampoo - great smelling.
Daily yoga in the morning
Offers hourly shuttle service through 9pm to downtown area.
Lots of easy parking
Nice looking bar/restaurant
AC worked great in the room (Room 330).
Morning room service menu pretty decent - not totally price gouging.

Cons:
Smallish bathrooms with mediocre water pressure
While they are dog friendly, dogs cannot go to the pool or courtyard area, nor any of the restaurants/bars - bummer since the Viceroy allows dogs in the restaurant/pool area - so they go our dinner business versus Saguaro
Check-in staff, while friendly, seemed a bit hurried and disinterested in answering several questions about the area.
No towels at the pool - though told by 2 staff members they had called housekeeping. Never got towels.
Rooms were a bit noisy - could hear noise from the hallway in the early morning.
$25 resort fee - just hate those in general, though it did cover WiFi, USA today, self parking, cruiser bicycle use, shuttle service, and yoga in the morning.
The Joie de Vivre website talks about dog friendly amenities that your dog gets when you check in - such as water bowl, etc. Not at this hotel. When I asked about it, told they don't do that. Disappointing. Kimpton properties do a much better job in this area.

The location is pretty good. Plus there is a bar next door - Purple Room, and a grocery store (Ralph's) across the street, as well as McDonald's if you want some fast food).

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank SDSpartan
SaguaroPS, Manager at The Saguaro Palm Springs, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
What a detailed review! My sincerest thank you for sharing such thoughtful feedback with us here on TripAdvisor. While I'm happy you found a lot of pros about our hotel, I'm disheartened to read you came across a few hiccups. Please know it's never our intention to upset our guests, so I'm hoping we can make this right!

When it comes to our dog-friendly policy, in outdoor patio of the restaurant we do allow dogs. I apologize if our offerings weren't communicated clearly. We always want our guests and their furry friends to feel welcomed, so I will certainly pass along this feedback. As for your check-in, "hurried" and "disinterested" aren't adjectives I often hear about the team. It sounds like you came to us on an off day and while that's no excuse, I do hope you can forgive us. After all, I'd love for you to return so we can show you the 5-star stay you deserve!

Reviewed 8 June 2014

By far the nicest hotel I've stayed in, Mario at the front desk was wonderful. He was helpful with suggestions with dinner places and what to do. Only thing that I didn't like, was how much the drinks are at the pool. 30.50$ for 4 tall cans, mix drinks 10. But what can you expect. The service made up for it though. Never had to leave the pool, they have people that serve you, and food! I plan on coming back whenever I'm in Palm Springs. I only paid 83.50 we met these people that paid 300!! So do your homework so you don't get ripped

• Stayed June 2014
Your support means a lot, Brooke! My sincerest thank you for taking the time to share this glowing recommendation for us here on Tripadvisor. I look forward to sharing your many compliments with Mario almost as much as I look forward to welcoming you back! Our door's always open.

Till next time,
Laguna Beach, California
Reviewed 7 June 2014

First, I'd like to say that I give the Saguaro Hotel a "Poor" rating with great hesitation. I am actually a fan of the young vibe the hotel gives off. The suite we stayed in was clean and comfortable, the multiple spa treatments we got were fantastic and food in both restaurants were pretty good. The "smaller" problems that I encountered were: 1.Hot water consistently went out during showers and while washing face at night. 2. Air conditioner in our suite bedroom went out early in the morning and was only blowing air both nights. 3.The room we stayed in (270) shared a wall with the elevator and entrance/exit door that was about 5 feet from where the bed is situated, which caused restless nights. Like I said, these were all fairly smaller issues in my mind and if the story stopped there, I would have given a MUCH higher rating and would have come back in the near future..... HOWEVER, I decided to very politely bring these few small issues to the attention of their hotel manager that was on duty (I'll leave the name out on this review) and was met with an unreceptive, uncaring and argumentative representative of the hotel we had just spent well over $900 at. He went as far to take out a paper map of the suite while telling me why "there's no way I could of heard any noise at night" as well as saying that "there has NEVER been an issue with hot water!" I was absolutely stunned at the total lack of compassion for his guests and poor representation of hotel!
If you are looking to go party and hang out by the pool, have a drink and go down town for dinner, I would actually recommend the hotel, BUT if you are looking for a service based hotel that respects and cares for EACH of their guests, I would steer clear of the Suguaro Palm Springs Hotel.

Room Tip: Do not stay in Suite 270 and don't expect a high level of guest service if you have any issues w...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Cprice777
SaguaroPS, Manager at The Saguaro Palm Springs, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
I appreciate you taking the time to share such detailed feedback with us. That said, it's disheartening to hear you felt we were "poor," especially after you truly enjoyed our vibe.

When it comes to your smaller problems, I want to sincerely apologize that your hot water went out. How frustrating! Let me assure you that's very out of character for our hotel, and I will be sure to have someone look into this issue immediately.

Overall, I know we are capable of providing you with a better experience. They say first impressions can be hard to shake, but a second chance to impress would mean a lot. At the end of the day, we're not happy until you're completely satisfied.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 6 June 2014

The pictures say it all. A very cheerful hotel. Great views from the pool and service and cleanliness was up to the level you pay for. It's a great hotel on a budget and I would come back here.
Small things such as shower could be improved but overall we were very happy to stay here.
Also manager and staff were very helpful. I often get worst service in more expensive hotels.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Your review says it all! Thank you for taking the time to share your support, Torsten. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and will be sure to share your compliments with the team. Hopefully you'll keep us in mind next time you're in Palm Springs. You're always welcome!

Take care,