“YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!”
Review of Inn Exile

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Inn Exile
“YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!”
Reviewed 21 July 2013

I have never checked out of a hotel until my stay here at the new inn la joya. Toilet didn't flush. Ice.machines say not for human consumption. This place is a dump! I left and went to all world across the street. This place is so run down it isn't even funny.

• Stayed July 2013
13 Thank hairyninked

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Pasadena, California
Reviewed 3 July 2013 via mobile

My favorite PS hotel (CCBC) was booked and a friend told me he would get a room as well snd we could hang out for yje holiday weekend. I thought something was not right as there were no cars at all on The Friday of memorial day wknd. Also the name had changed to Inn Joya. I missed that because I was so surprised by the 12 to 15 no trespassing signs that were 5 feet apart. When i eent to checkin there was a woman in middle eastern clothing behind the desk. She turned me over to a guy who was personable and showed me to my room. I asked if my friend had arrived and said that we would have shared a room except he was bringing his dog as he always has before. The guy freaked out. No dogs are allowed anymore! My friend had just arrived and checked in and went to get his dog. He was told he had to leave, they tried charging him a $500 pet fee even though the dog never made it to the room. They called the police to throw him out which tbey did not do - the reservation was made with the pet. I could go on - but i aas told no nudity, no visitors, no this no thatand no friend. I checked out. They tried charging me.a 1,000 can ellation fee. NEED I SAY MORE? Ohyeah, they bought warm sands villas also. WTF?

• Stayed May 2013
15 Thank bearrunningwild
Palm Springs, California
Reviewed 25 June 2013

If you go to Exile you will be highly disapointed. You might as well stay at a straight hotel. Totally been DE-gayed....nothing gay about it. Owned by a straight couple who do not allow nudity or showing of affection outside of your room. All exit doors are locked and dead bolted except for front door near the office. Patrons can not get out other doors in case of emergency. I have been told by former employees and patrons that owner is a mean person. If you are looking for a gay atmosphere Exile is not the place any more....the same goes for Warm Sands Villas...he owns that one also...."women will be cleaning your room" !!!!!

Room Tip: There are no good rooms...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
18 Thank bluebirdie2
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 14 June 2013

Whoever coined the phrase "All good things must come to an end" probably experienced the same degree of disappointment that the guests of Inn Exile (IE), now Inn La Joya, have experienced since the property was transferred to new ownership. I’ve never been compelled to write a review simply because I was disappointed in a lack of service or quality from any product, including a hotel or resort. However, the changes being made by the new owners have truly eliminated the “gay experience” that most of us (but not all) anticipate and enjoy at an all-male, clothing-optional resort.

It’s no secret that the conditions of the rooms at IE had begun to lose their appeal over the past several years. But then, I don’t go to a resort to lay around in a room and watch TV all day. My best friend and I began visiting IE back in 2004. We love the resort, the staff, the owners, and the other guests so much, we travel from the mid-west 2-3 times each year just to stay there. Occupancy is always high on weekends (even June – Sept), and we never lack for making new friends with which to shop and dine in Palm Springs, many with whom we still keep in contact today. We always hate leaving IE to return home, yet looked forward to our next trip there. Unfortunately though, my recent 6-night stay at IE made me eager to leave, and for once, I am contemplating staying elsewhere in September when I return.

Recent reviews I’ve found online regarding the changes at Inn La Joya are, sadly, accurate. The only door for entry & exit is the front door by the office. Thus, no leaving the back door to walk to The Toolshed, Gear, or Starbucks. Guests must exit and re-enter by the office and walk around the block. The steam room is out of order. The water side of the Fire & Water feature does not work. (Staff informed me it was on a timer, and they don’t know where the time is) Yes, the late-night adult movies in the maze are a thing of the past. Several times at night, security comes onto the property with a bright flashlight, looking everywhere for anyone who shouldn’t be there. Sadly, there were never more than 3 rooms occupied during my stay, including Friday & Saturday nights. Sunday night, one occupant was escorted off of the property by PS Police after the owner found an illegal substance in his room, bringing the total number rooms occupied, to 2 (out of 32, as John & Carter's apartment is now available as a room option). The southwest pool is where I hang out, and it was dirty until cleaned on Monday afternoon (my 5th day). The outdoor bed is gone, and the billiard and gym rooms are locked very early in the evenings. Despite temps ranging from 104 to 109, the misters were never turned on. When I made my reservation back in February (for May), Room 13 (my fav) was already booked. This isn’t a deal-breaker, I’m flexible. When I called 2 weeks prior to my arrival to inquire about availability for Room 13, it was still reserved. On the day of my arrival, I inquired again about Room 13, but was not given the room b/c it was already occupied. No problem. However, Room 13 was vacant every day and night of my stay.

Personally, I was uneasy with the owner’s wife walking the property while I was laying out &/or walking around nude. Clean pool towels are not brought to your room daily – you must return your used towels to the office and request new ones. (I was only able to exchange mine twice however, b/c the office was locked & unoccupied most of the days.)

I spoke with the owner and something he mentioned is that he intends to “clean up” Inn La Joya. He has already met with the PS Police Dept and asked for their cooperation in removing guests when and if any staff finds or suspects illegal substances or related paraphernalia in any guest rooms. They do intend on building a much larger steam room and incorporating a high-end boutique in the front lobby with swim gear, designer t-shirts, and other merchandise for purchase. If there is any reason for returning to Inn La Joya, it would be that there is plenty of parking by the front door.

My purpose for this review is not to try and sway anyone from booking a room at Inn La Joya, rather to inform others of what I wish I had known before making a trip to PS and keeping this reservation. If anyone has additional updates on the property in the coming weeks or months, please post them so that those of us who love the old Inn Exile will be better advised regarding future expectations of the resort. Thank you =)

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
25 Thank Eric T
U. S. A.
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Inn Exile and Warm Sands Villas were bought by a straight couple. Inn Exile is now Inn La Joya and it is a relic of its former self. Clearly, the word has spread quickly as the place was nearly empty, even on the weekend. The new owner (Mo) seems very nice, but there are way too many negatives about this place: the "breakfast" is a joke, the staff seems downright hostile, and all gates except the main front gate are locked (you cannot even exit!!). Our room was "cleaned" (or, as they call it, "refreshed") in 8 minutes. There are no nighttime activities. If you want to stay in a convent, this is the place for you. The few guests bonded at night in the hot tub regarding what a terrible experience it was and EVERYONE agreed they would never return. Even the promised August remodeling will not rescue a place with such a poor attitude and service.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
20 Thank ReeseNable
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 23 May 2013

I've been a long time, dedicated/loyal guest at Inn Exile. While the resort certainly became run down compared to previous years, I always enjoyed the beautiful and spacious grounds, the three pools and "some" of the night time activities. New management is determined to turn this place around which sounds great, but my first (and LAST) visit under this new management was a major let down. I reserved my April/May stay under the previous management but still had to argue with new management for the rate I was offered. I ended up having to depart early due to a personal emergency and was SHOCKED at the rate they ended up charging me for my stay. I never ended up receiving a 4th night free and on top of this, they increased my nightly rate by over $20 per night from my original booking. I guess reputation and quality hotel management is not a concern. So long LaJoya..many other resorts in Palm Springs where my money will be spent.

Room Tip: Rooms at the NORTH pool are the quieter ones.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
19 Thank Dave A
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 1 May 2013

The Inn Exile used to be a beautiful resort. Now, however, it needs some sprucing up. First the good. It's a very large property with three pools and several hot tubs. The room we stayed in was very large with a separate bedroom. Everything is kept quite clean. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. The not so good. Everything looks a little tired and needs to be spruced up. Furniture in the rooms is quite old and overpowering. They need complete redecoration. Everything is beige. And I mean everything. A little bit of color would certainly help. Other people staying here said the place used to be a lot of fun but now its just dull. They do have a good special if you buy three nights you get the 4th one free. It was a good value but I don't think I'll stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple