“La Dolce Vita Either You Get It Or You Don’t”

La Dolce Vita Resort & Spa
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I have made numerous trips to La Dolce Vita since 2008 and my most recent with my partner just last week once again exceeded expectations.

If you let them, in the course of your stay at La Dolce Vita, the rest of your guests will become like family – if your family was made up of all Gay, semi-clad, men. During our last stay my partner and I met engaging people with medical or academic doctorates to college students and all were welcomed into the family. After a pleasant social hour some groups of single and partnered people seemed to form naturally as dinner plans were shared and invitations extended. If you chose to be a part, fine, if not, you were left alone.

La Dolce Vita is what you make of it. It you want to be friendly and talk to everybody you will find plenty of friends to be made. If you want to have a quite time by yourself, that option will also be respected.

Tim and Ken are more than gracious hosts. Barry and the rest of the staff are friendly without being overbearing and, while I must admit while reading reviews, that the guy who used to host the social hour was not my cup of tea either, I haven’t seen him in my last three visits! The two pools are great and the hot tubs are perfect for just sitting back and getting some sun or looking at the stars.

Here is the reason my partner and I keep coming back: If you want a nice place, with friendly people who respect your boundaries while forming friendships, this is where you want to be. La Dolce Vita is a place that either you understand or you don’t. If you don’t you write reviews. If you do, you just keep coming back again and again for a relaxing time with fascinating people.

Dave - Chicago

Room Tip: I like the rooms in the back. But the pool in the front gets a little more late afternoon sun.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Satchelspal
LaDolceVitaResort, Owner at La Dolce Vita Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2014

Thanks Dave. You get it!!!

There are newer reviews for La Dolce Vita Resort & Spa

Reviewed 5 April 2014

This is the second time my companion and I stayed at La Dolce Vita. The second time was not as enjoyable. We visited in April and we booked and reserved a specific room well in advance. We were told the room would be reserved for us..

We arrived and we were told that the person in our room decided to extend his stay. This meant we ended up with a less desirable room. This was unacceptable, the person who decided to stay longer should have been moved to another room to allow us to stay in our reserved room.

In all fairness, we ended up in our reserved room eventually but our vacation started off on the wrong foot.

The cleanliness has improved. The breakfast was not that great. The grounds are nice and quaint but looking tired. The staff worker running Happy Hour is rude and obnoxious. He yells and swears at the guests and not in a jokingly way.

This is a relaxing, clothing optional gay men's resort. Some guests snuck in a lady friend one day but was told by other guests to leave which she refused. The staff was made aware of this and refused to take action.

Overall, we had a fun vacation in beautiful Palm Springs but La Dolce Vita did not impress.

Stayed: May 2013
LaDolceVitaResort, Owner at La Dolce Vita Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

This review is from one year ago. We absolutely agree that the employee you are referring to was obnoxious and very abrupt with our guests. He hasn't worked here in 6 months. Our Innkeepers and the owners run the social hours now.
Come back, you will see quite a difference.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

Before I get to the negative please understand that I do see the value of this property. I would actual rate it on the borderline between fair and poor. Also it depends on what is important to you. If a clean bed at a gay resort is your priority it may be just fine for you.

I found the resort to be way too dated for the price they charge. They provide you with a state of the art door lock which is useless considering my window with a broken crank would not lock. When I reported it they acted as if this is new to them (age of windows at least 50 years) they stood on the outside and pushed the warped window in so I could lock it. I changed rooms for one with a patio. The patio looks like an area where you would store your garbage cans. The patio door locks are like your bathroom door lock.I suspect it could be opened with a credit card. The fence that encloses the patio is ugly, and opens with a bolt slide. I requested a room with working locked windows, and discovered every window was unlocked. The concrete surrounding the area needs to be jack hammered, and replaced.Extremely expensive to do consider the area is massive. The hot tubes need to be repainted, but are clean and enjoyable. The pools and and steam room also enjoyable. The surrounding foliage is beautiful and abundant, and I did enjoy seeing it.

Distance to downtown is too far. You won't walk it. The Warm Sands area is more suited for walking to town.

Baloney describes the owner/management. One night a guest who was tide up in traffic arrived at the social 4 minutes after the 6pm closure. He was refused a glass of wine as the bottles where taken away right in his face. The social itself is a joke. It occurs at managements own discretion. Two wines and two domestic beers. Snacks you can buyt at the dollar store. More baloney... Don't give me a bear hug when you demand I vacate my room at 12 noon on the dot. I was only checking out because you had the room booked for that Saturday, and could of used at least an extra hour due to my new resorts check in wasn't till 3pm.

Bottom line: In a pinch the place is OK. But I did better in the Warm Sands area for price, location
and choice of accommodations.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank HyacinthtBucket
LaDolceVitaResort, Owner at La Dolce Vita Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Dear HyacinthtBouquet,
We are so sorry that your stay at La Dolce was not up to your expectations. Many of our guest rooms have casement windows which are very popular in Palm Springs. We will investigate why the window of your guest room did not operate properly. We are glad you enjoyed our hot tubs, pools, steam room and foliage. When we have our social hours, they run from 5:30-6:30, so we are uncertain why you would think we would withhold beverages from a guest arriving at 6PM. We are approximately a 20 minute walk to downtown. Many of our guest do walk downtown. We understand that you were upset that you had to check out of your guest room at 12 noon, but we did invite you to remain on the property to enjoy the beautiful day. This has been the busiest season in La Dolce Vita's history; we need to prepare for the arriving guests. We also apologize if we offended you by giving you a big bear hug upon your departure. Thank you. Ken and Tim.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

Owners very attentive, clean, friendly. Rooms well appointed, location quiet but very convenient. Walked to downtown in 20 minutes. Breakfast quite satisfactory. I will return again and again. Thanks a lot.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
LaDolceVitaResort, Owner at La Dolce Vita Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2014

Thanks so much!!! It was wonderful having you here.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

We pick this guest house by the reviews, well I will write a correct one.
The grounds are very nice, there are two warm pools, the room are fine in
size but need a facelift fast.
Check-in was friendly and Barry was great, our room was ready by 1pm.
The major problem was a wedding after-party from 1pm Saturday till Sunday, they
took over the first pool with about 20 outside guests, they made the pool there
own, the rest of the guest were not welcomed.
The room was decorated with all miss-matched items and bad linens.
The most positive was the great few non-wedding guest they were great.

Room Tip: Find another hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank gj d
LaDolceVitaResort, Owner at La Dolce Vita Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

We are so sorry that you did not enjoy your weekend at the Resort as much as the rest of our guests. It was a beautiful weekend with so many guests smiling and enjoying each other's company, cherishing the accomplishments our community has achieved over the last few years. Chip and Steve, who have been coming to La Dolce Vita for many years, decided to celebrate this significant event at the Resort. We were honored. Many of our guests did not know the newlyweds prior to this weekend, but, they did by the time they left. All our guests were invited to participate in all the fun, even our staff. We do not know why you chose not to join in. None-the-less, you are a part of our community and we hope you find whatever makes you happy.
Best regards, Ken and Tim

Reviewed 23 March 2014

We just returned from La Dolce Vita and had one of the most relaxing stays we've ever had in Palm Springs. Ken, Tim and staff make you feel right at home. I was impressed by the cleanliness of the hot tub and steam room. Keep up the good work boys!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 March 2014

I've just returned from another 16 days stay at La Dolce Vita.
The fact that I keep returning is recommendation enough. Ken, Tim and all the staff really do achieve a high level of hospitality. There's always a good crowd and I met three guys who I knew from previous stays.
The rooms, pools and sun terraces are all good and the location excellent. If you don't want a car it's easy walking distance to down town but there is also a good selection of restaurants close by as well as a liquor store which sells most things.
I will be returning.