“Good Location, uninspiring grounds layout.”

Desert Paradise Gay Men's Resort
Reviewed 30 July 2011

Adequate Gay Hotel with above average rooms. I believe they are upgrading the bathrooms. Amenities were sufficient but far from luxurious. Each room is named after a popular gay celebrity. I stayed in the Judy Garland Suite. Rooms have microwaves and eating tables. I would have preferred more comfortable seating as I was inside the room much of the time due to the weather being 110 degrees.

The staff is very friendly and loves hugs. The rates were not inexpensive and with the major chain luxury hotels offering drastically discounted rates, I might rethink my interest in staying in a gay hotel as it appears that the hotel is not fully booked during the summer months so there is really not too much opportunity to meet other guests. I recommend: get your best deal at one of the luxury chains then purchase a day pass to a gay hotel/resort.

Room Tip: Do not book the room near the breakfast area -- too loud if you like to sleep in past 8:00am.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Buck415

Reviewed 5 July 2011

My new partner and I stayed here for two nights. Luckily, we were upgraded to the Elizabeth Taylor suite (bridal suite) which was perfect, as my partner is a big Elizabeth Taylor fan. There is nothing outright negative to report . . . I was just disappointed that the suite was really only the E.T. suite in name only (Here I was worried that it was going to be overly kitschy).
Secondly, the little refrigerator was very hard to open. It didn't help that it doesn't have a handle, just an indentation. This was not good for someone who had recently had a groin strain. Several times I ended up pulling and moving the whole refrigerator a bit. Perhaps a dark stripe to make the area where you pull it open easy to see?
Thirdly, the parking outside of the complex was fine (on the street) but I couldn't help but notice that someone else's car had been broadsided at the next hotel over. The owners of the vehicle were out there, looking at it. It made me wonder how often events like this occur on these little winding streets.
For the positives, it's wonderful for being clothing-optional but tastefully done (yes it is possible). Absolutely nobody was cruising for anyone else, which is exactly why I chose this place. Most folks wear their swim trunks, by the way, but it's not a big deal if you don't.
The grounds are lush, very well watered, and little baby birds were living tranquilly by the abundant fountains.
The salt water pool is large enough to swim laps in, the serve-yourself breakfast is more than sufficient, and the employees, down to the pool folks, were friendly and respectful. I especially liked Ronald, who works at the front desk. He is funny but has a calm demeanor.
In closing, we liked it here but since there are so many hotels to visit, a return visit is unlikely at this point . . . but we both would definitely return. It would be magical to stare at that lit chandelier swaying between the palm trees, while enjoying each other's company in the pool late into the night.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Forgottensage
Reviewed 20 June 2011

We booked our room through the internet and had no idea what to expect. When we arrived the owner (Dale) was very friendly and we felt right at home within 5 minutes. We stayed in the Elizabeth Taylor suite and where extremely happy with the room, bedding and fluffy pillows. Several entertainment channels where available although we did not watch TV and bubbled in the Jacuzi or swim in the pool instead.

The staff was super friendly and because we stayed during the weekdays (had to leave for San Francisco in the weekend) it was really peaceful and quiet. If we would have known this in advance we would have cancelled our trip to SF alttogether and stayed our entire holiday at the Desert Paradise resort.

This place should have been called Desert PARADISE as it trully is the closest thing to paradise I have experienced.

We loved it and if budget permits, we will be coming back!

Room Tip: Ask for the Elizabeth Taylor suite!
  • Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank martijnw
Reviewed 13 June 2011

My partner and I have stayed here numerous times. It is by far the best gay resort in Palm Springs. Dale and Ron are constantly adding new things to the property. Each room is different and ea h one goes bt a female movie star name. We have always stayed in the Lucille Ball room which I consider to have the best view of the property and pool. This resort caters to mid age to senior men. It is very quite and relaxing and most of the people We have met here tend to be partnered.

This is not the cheapest gay resort of the many available in Palm Springs, but it is the nicest with no rift raft and no "day passes" like some of the others!!

Would highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed: May 2011
3  Thank Dallas51
Reviewed 12 May 2011

This was my first trip to Palm Springs and I picked this location after reading the reviews. I was not disappointed! The place is well kept and very relaxing. It was a very enjoyable experience. You feel very at home. Ron, Dale and the staff are very nice. I will stay there again!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank lagacero
Reviewed 10 May 2011

I had not been to Palm Springs in ten years and I know how things change. I found this resort on Trip Adviser and was so glad I did. The rooms are clean and up to date. I had the smallest room and it was not that small. The grounds are beautiful with many fountains and ponds. The staff is great. Ron and Dale really want to make you feel at home. I will recommend Desert Paradise Resort to all my friends and will stay there again. The clientele was great, all kinds of men from young to older. Very quiet. This is a great place if you want to relax. Thanks Dale and Thanks Ron!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank anytimecowboy
Reviewed 24 March 2011

An intimate, friendly oasis. Comfortable room at a great price. Wonderful salt-water pool and relaxing jacuzzi, all in a garden setting. Guests were a nice mix of first-timers and returnees. And Ron and Dale and their staff go out of their way to make your stay memorable.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo