“Quaint, Affordable and Welcoming”

A Place in the Sun Garden Hotel
Ranked #5 of 23 Palm Springs B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California
“Quaint, Affordable and Welcoming”
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Great service and attention to detail, from making the reservation over the phone to instructions for after-hours arrivals to checking out! The property sits on one acre of land with units surrounding the central pool and courtyard. The property was originally built for the cast and crew of the 1951 movie, "A Place in the Sun", and has since been converted into a B&B in the Tahquitz River Estates area of Palm Springs.

Booked a smaller studio over Labor Day weekend, figuring that most of the time would be spend either by the pool or sightseeing (only needing the room to sleep and to clean up). After confirming with the manager, Joe, about my after-hours arrival, I arrived at APITS around 7:30p. Instructions were left by Joe on how to access the lockboxes and where my studio was located. Easy enough, a couple of minutes later, I was in my studio.

The studio itself was about the size that I expected, however, amenities exceeded my expectations. Each unit comes with its own wireless router, so there's no need to jockey for bandwidth with other guests and each room comes with HDTV (I've been in other "deluxe" properties that still have huge, old-school TVs). Spacious closet and drawer space. Clean, smaller bathroom (shower only, no tub in the studios), but surprising were the lush and huge bath sheets provided as bath towels. Nice touch. In addition to the bath towels, Joe left a couple pool towels for use during our stay.

The grounds are well kept and spacious, and very well-lit, which came in handy arriving at nighttime. The next morning, the grounds around the pool were came alive in the sunshine and I noticed well-clipped lawns, a grapefruit (?) tree and even a putting green. At one end of the pool was a "clubhouse" with tables, chairs and even a BBQ grill for the guests' use during their stay (will have to take advantage of to grill steaks next time). Lounge chairs were plenty around the sides of the pool, but one of the best features of the pool area was the well-placed misters to keep you cool in the September, desert sun.

With one night left to stay, I received an invitation from a friend to visit him in LA and decided to depart early. The look on Joe's face appeared like he was afraid that something had gone wrong during my stay and I assured him that there was nothing wrong with the property. He said that if he was able to refund me one night, he would, but obviously it wasn't possible and I didn't expect him to, especially since I booked a great summer rate at APITS at 2-for-3 nights. I thanked Joe again and assured him that I would be back to stay at APITS when travelling to Palm Springs again.

Room Tip: Go to the website and look at the map of the property to decide what type of room you want. There is...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Southern California
Reviewed 10 August 2012

My girlfriends and I get together every year to spend a long weekend together, this year we chose A Place in the Sun and had a fantastic time. The grounds are beautiful and spotless, we took the large unit with the two bedrooms and bathrooms, private patio, bbq and jacuzzi. Everything was spotless and the staff was so helpful. We loved our stay and will probably go back in the spring for another visit. The owners really were very responsive to any of our needs. I would absolutely recommend this property to any one. It felt like home and we really enjoyed it. If you are looking for a place to go in Palm Springs, definitely check this one out. Highly recommend!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 30 July 2012

We have visited APITS several times now over the past few years. We come here for relaxation first and foremost. The property is small but immaculately maintained. I have never stayed anywhere so consistently clean! The owners really go out of their way to make the experience comfortable for their guests. It's not big and modern, with fancy sheets or bathroom decor; but it is very well thought out. We usually stay in one of the 3 mini studios - and these admittedly small rooms are so well thought out and laid out that we are always quite comfortable. The pool is clean, the misters cool off the pool deck, the salt water pool is cool and inviting - perfect refreshment. And it is just a short drive (or walk in cooler months) to the main drag in Palm Springs for a casual dinner out before knocking off to a restful sleep :)

Room Tip: AC units are loud in the small studios
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
california
Reviewed 13 July 2012

We go every year to this beautiful place. It is a very lovely place to stay. I call it, my paradise in Palm Springs. Both bungalows and outside around the pool area kept very clean. We usually take one bedroom bangalow, which has a great kitchen and a bedroom separate from living room. There is a barbecue by the pool, it is available for you any time during your stay. I am always sad, when we have to go back home. Don't take me wrong, I leave close by the beach, and have access to a pool. Somehow, when I am home, I can't relax as much as I do at A Place in the sun Garden Hotel. Also, I like to mention that owners, Norma and Ron are the greatest people. They make sure that their guests are very comfortable during their stay in their hotel. :)

Room Tip: When you make your reservation, just mention it to the person who is making your reservation, what y...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 28 June 2012

I had to go to Palm Springs for the film fest, and found A Place In The Sun through the film fest's website. I was pleasantly surprised by the space...felt like I had traveled back into the good ol' days of the 1960s. The bungalows were all clean and quiet, with private patios in the back of each one. And it was perfect for my dog, who joined me on the trip. There was a mini putting green in the center area, a communal grill and picnic area, and of course, the pool couldn't have been more enjoyable.

The staff was beyond friendly and went out of their way to help in any way they could.

I sincerely can't say enough good things about this hotel. It will be the only place I stay on return visits to Palm Springs.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2012

we had a one bedroomed bungalow, I think number 6. lots of space, two big sofas, cute retro-style furniture and kitchen. comfortable bed. small kitchen, but with all the things you need to cook, big fridge. breakfast from the office, sugary cereal, cake, tea, coffee, orange juice, sweet pastries. breakfast could have been improved by a loaf of bread and/or a bag of bagels, so that people could take them to their rooms and toast them, to avoid the sugar overload of the other breakfast options. nice pool, lots of grass around, and nice garden. we walked into town - around 30 mins to the very center.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, Owner at A Place in the Sun Garden Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us at A Place in the Sun. We really do appreciate the mostly positive feedback we get from our guests, and do our best to immediately take care of anything that isn't up to our guests' complete satisfaction. I did want to address the comment you made about the "sugar overload" with our choice of cereals for our complimentary continental breakfasts. We've tried many different things in our almost 13 years of ownership, starting with just donuts and coffee. Our guests got so excited, it's grown exponentially over the years. We now serve an expanded continental breakfast from October 1st through May 31st poolside in the gazebo from 8 to 10 a.m. on weekends and holidays, that includes assorted fresh bagels, english muffins and fresh breads, and different types of fresh fruit, in addition to the cereals, pastries, muffins, cakes, etc. However, you were here in June, where the continental breakfast is in the office from 9 to 5 daily. The six different types of cereals we have on hand for our guests are currently raisin bran, plain oatmeal, honey nut cheerios, special k with strawberries, honey bunches of oats with almonds, and Kashi all natural granola (if you can think of any cereals with LESS sugar that guests might still want to eat on vacation, we're all ears!). All of our units do have fully equipped kitchens or kitchenettes, so any breakfast items not available in the office could easily be stocked in your private kitchen for your stay... :)
Again, we appreciate your taking the time to write this review for us, and hope to see you back again in the near future.
Norma and Ron Van Meeteren, Owners
Burbank, California
Reviewed 17 June 2012

It was so nice to be back at A Place in the Sun for a little getaway. It's always very relaxing, no matter how long you're there for. We always stay in the large studio which is perfect for my husband and I. Ron and Norma were there with their two new puppies (Hi, Onyx & Annie!!) and brought them out on the grass for people to see. Joe, as always, was wonderful to talk to and always has a smile for you when you come in the office.

We can't say enough good things about A Place in the Sun......we love it and have recommended it to several people. Terrific customer service, beautiful grounds, nice people and the great Palm Springs weather.......what more could you ask for???

We look forward to our week long vacation here later this summer!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple