“Not great, not awful. A little run down and unfriendly.”
Review of El Mirasol Villas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
El Mirasol Villas
Oakland, California
“Not great, not awful. A little run down and unfriendly.”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

The grounds of El Mirasol are nice sort of desert oasis feel. Hummingbirds, fountains, good variety of lush vegetation.

The rooms are okay but not updated and they don't look clean. Shower tiles, bedding, carpet have seen better days. There aren't safes in the rooms, which is substandard. The old fashioned AC unit in my room was very wonky and loud. The windows don't open so the room smelled musty...yuck.

As for the vibe, it's non-existent. Two separate pools sounds nice, but in reality neither had a critical mass of guys to give it any sense of fun. One of the pools isn't heated but the weather was hot when I was there so that was okay. The jacuzzi was lukewarm, over-chlorinated, and very shallow -- strange.

Compared to the other Warm Sands resorts I've stayed in, the "breakfast" here was wholly inadequate. (pastries in sealed plastic as if they came out of a vending machine, plus cold coffee and a few other odds and ends, and no staff person anywhere to be found if you need something)

Most importantly, I did not find the owner to be very welcoming. When I arrived, he was very crabby and short with me, and sarcastic. Sorry if you had a bad day, but don't take it out on your paying customers! That really set the wrong tone. Very unprofessional...I think he's in the wrong job, frankly, but whatever.

Basically I would not recommend El Mirasol Villas unless you want to be a hermit for a few days and aren't looking for a social thing. Spend a few extra bucks for Santiago or Inndulge and you'll have a better experience, in my opinion. They have social hours (happy hour), better pool vibe, nicer facilities, and certainly friendlier staff. I've stayed at several Palm Springs gay resorts, this was near the bottom of the pack.

Room Tip: This resort is a mash-up of what was two resorts previously. Try to stay in the part that's arou...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Palm Springs, California
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I just returned from two nights at El Mirasol Villas, and as usual Paul and Bruce hosted a relaxing vacation in the desert. For a Monday and Tuesday night, the resort had many guests, which made the pool and spa quite lively in a good way.
The night manager Skip is very friendly and also a great host, the houseman (Eric, Ricardo and Luis) are always warm and friendly wanting to make each detail in one's stay memorable.
The breakfast was the perfect addition, fresh OJ and fruit, yogurt and oatmeal, tasty desserts, coffee and/or tea.
The grounds at the hotel, are lush with several palm trees, and just the right amount of sun to shade.
All in all, El Mirasol Villas is the perfect slice of heaven and the perfect desert oasis.

Room Tip: rooms by the north pool tend to be quieter.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 1 February 2014

I have stayed in many Gay Hotels over the years from the West coast of the USA to Europe. But, staying at El Mirasol, was by far the best ever. Paul and Bruce were so wonderful and so very friendly. Whatever ever I needed it was there for me. Being with a disability, my needs were met with perfection. The place was spotless, it was quiet when needed, the breakfast was perfect. The staff were extremely friendly and the rooms were spotless clean. I was there in October 2013 for a week and am going back on February 14th. If any gay man is looking for a place to relax, enjoy the pool and just enjoy life, I highly recommend El Mirasol.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Just returned from a six day stay at this resort. It was our fifth resort we have been to. The grounds are quite beautiful and rare in the gay resorts of Palm Springs. This resort has a beautiful Mexican hacienda feel to it including the decor and a bit dated furniture. The main pool was heated to a decent temperature but the other pool was frigid and unusable in the winter. The breakfast is basic and un appealing. First time we decided to eat out for breakfast at a gay Palm Springs resort. They don't even have real orange juice. It is Tang. Just saying. The owners are lovely people. Housekeeping did a wonderful job each day. The live in supervisor, not the owner, never cracked even the slightest smile our entire stay, was completely inhospitable and made me feel like I was bothering him. Not a single word or comment was made to us each morning we went to the breakfast area despite trying to make eye contact, etc as we are social and chatty. Strange vibe , but we let it go and moved on. Not much else to say. Sorry.

Room Tip: Make sure it is by the heated pool in the winter.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 14 December 2013

What a great low key and beautiful place! My first visit to Palm Springs did not disappoint. Two pools, one unheated, hot tub, and steam room. My room was well appointed, the continental breakfast was excellent and Bruce & Paul were good hosts with a vault of information. Beautiful grounds with oranges and lemons. It was very uncrowded when i visited. Next time I will stay when there are more guests. The only reason I only gave this property four stars was because of the outdated bathroom. It was very clean, however, it could have used new fixtures and amenities.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Our first stay at El Mirasol Villas. We have travels to Palm Springs for many years and were very pleased with El Mirasol. Paul and Bruce are wonderful hosts checking on guests needs daily. We stayed for 2 weeks and enjoyed Halloween and Pride. The grounds and our room (unit 15) were very comfortable. We used the pool jacuzzi and steam room daily.
It is a very relaxing atmosphere close to everything Palm Springs has to offer
We will return.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Wilton Manors FL
Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

Enjoyable stay at el mirasol for four nights over the palm springs gay pride weekend. Host Paul is very nice and accomodating. We were placed in room 20....must say a bit outdated and in need of some minor repairs and adjustments....ie leaky faucet in shower, location of tv console in relation to bed location, electrical outlets not convenient, no towels rack at second lavatory, no soap dish for soap, rusty soap holder in shower, & no safe in room to store valuables. Upon checkout Paul did inform us that renovations and updates are on the way. We look forward to seeing what he has in mind as the grounds and location are perfect. One other comment regarding the continental breakfast......not continental at all...very meager provisions....and for us not worth consideration as we opted to go out each morning for a hot breakfast of our liking. There is room for improvement and as stated before...will return to see what the owners have in mind.

Stayed November 2013