“Peaceful & relaxing”
Review of Hotel California

Hotel California
Ranked #2 of 74 Hotels in Palm Springs
Reviewed 11 February 2012

I am a return customer. This place is amazing. Truly peaceful and relaxing. The owners & staff treat with you the utmost respect. I live in San Diego County & whether I stay at their sister property, Desert Sands, or this property, I fill like I AM on vacation! When I make future plans to stay in Palm Springs, this will always be my first and hopefully, only choice, because they get fully booked really fast!
Kathy

Room Tip: Any room would be an excellent choice.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 8 February 2012

We will def stay here again. The location was great, they pick you up for free from airport in a vintage stretch limo, cruiser bikes avail to use, family owned, all good!!

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank travelingscott
Reviewed 8 February 2012

What more can I say that every review you read has said. We booked this hotel based on it's rating and the reviews. Let's say what it's not. It's not located in downtown Palm Springs- Good for us, hardly any traffic and quiet at night. It only takes about 5 minutes to get downtown. It is not a party hotel- Good for us, as we can't stand those and I don't think Larry would stand for it anyway. It is not a big hotel- Good for us - it has 12 rooms which made it feel private. What it is- Like going to stay at a relatives house (the good relatives). We were welcomed by Lucy, who shows you around, offers you a glass of wine or any other beverage, then takes you to your room where you get an actual Key (remember those) to open the door. Ask Lucy who Ralph is when you get your key. She gave us suggestions for places to go, she made our restaurant reservations, gives you area maps. The grounds are lush and full of hummingbirds. Pool and Spa area was very clean. Our room was number 12 which is on the second floor with no other rooms around us. We had our own Patio area to ourselves with 2 lounge chairs and a table with 4 chairs. Our bed area was small, two people couldn't walk between the foot of the bed and the wall, but had a separate room which was a kitchen with microwave, coffee pot and toaster, table and chairs. The only and I mean the only issue we had with our room was the TV was off to the right side of the bed mounted on the wall instead of in front of the bed. So at night when you want to watch TV in bed or the vast amount of DVD's they have free for guests to watch in their rooms, you had to either sit on the side of the bed which is uncomfortable because then you have nowhere to rest your back or you had to sit in the bed with your head turned to the right which after watching a movie you neck is sore. But if you never want to watch TV then there is no issue. As I said every review you read about this Gem of a place is true. We will be back and stay at the Desert Rivera just to see the difference in the hotel. Larry and Lucy were the best. We didn't get to meet Patty but maybe next time. Larry is a hard working guy always running between the two hotel, fixing things changing light bulbs. He is a funny guy, we ran into him when we walked over to see what the Desert Rivera looked like and he saw us and called us by names (don't know how they do that running two hotels)I told him we just wanted to see this hotel and he says "Isn't it a dump". Love that type of humor. Thank you so much for your hospitality.

Room Tip: This was my first trip so I can only say about Room 12 is small but very private no other rooms are...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank TereseW
Reviewed 3 February 2012

We celebrated my husbands 50th birthday at Hotel California and were overwhelmingly pleased with our selection!! Champagne on ice upon our arrival, room upgrade, loved the LIMO service both nights to two our favorite restaurants... Spencers & Blue Coyote... whoops, back to the Hotel review... personal service, comfortable beds, quiet atmosphere and plenty of pool deck/spa sunshine time!! Loved Larry, the owner and his wonderful daughter Lucy!! A fine stay indeed, now don't get too popular as we still want to zip on down when we feel the desert calling!! We are staying at their sister property next time as HC was all booked for the PS half marathon weekend... I am certain our experience will be just as superior!!!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 February 2012

Lucy, Larry, Patty and Jay make Hotel California a great place to stay. We were there for 5 nights and we loved every minute. The rooms were clean and the beds were very comfortable. The pool was warm and the hot tub was "HOT". Thank you to everyone for a wonderful vacation.

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed 27 January 2012

The Hotel California is the sister property of the Desert Riviera located about a block away. On our first trip to Palm Springs we stayed at the Desert Riviera and absolutely loved the entire experience. For our second trip to Palm Springs we decided to try the Hotel California. We new it would be a great experience because the owners - Larry and Patty - really know their trade. From the second you step on to the property you are treated like a family member. Larry, Patty, and their daughter Lucy truly go out of their way to take care of each and every guest. I could write a novel about this Hotel but will give a wonderful example of how they manage their hotel. We were scheduled to fly out of Palm Springs last Sat when a major wind storm hit the valley and shut down the airport. Well we ended up at the airport for 7 hours until the airline finally cancelled our flight. Well, Lucy actually called us at the airport to make sure we were doing ok as she heard there were flight problems. She told us that if we had a problem to just give her a call. After a long wait our flight was cancelled. They sent the limo to pick us up, put us in their nicest and most expensive room and didn't charge us. Jay, the limo driver, wouldn't even accept my tip. They all knew we just went through a problem at the airport and just wanted us to relax and not worry about it. We had to stay another day before we could get out of town and they gave us a great deal for the second night in the Casita. It really was a special way to treat a guest.

I truly believe that you would be hard pressed to find a more considerate and caring group of owners/employees. Mike also was a great resource to have at the hotel. I really enjoyed my talks with Mike. Great guy and an extremely hard working member of the Hotel California family.

You just can't go wrong staying at either one of these hotels. You can almost be guaranteed a wonderful vacation at these properties. I've traveled the world and I give my absolute highest recommendation to the Hotel California and the Desert Riviera. A true gem in the desert!

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 7, the King Romantica. Very private room near jacuzzi. The room is small but well...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank AKPROG
Reviewed 27 January 2012

We felt very welcome right from the start including making reservations via phone. The staff goes out of their way to take care of guests. Our room was a good size. We appreciated having a small fridge and microwave. The aesthetics of the room decor is unremarkable. We could hear the sound of traffic when our window was open. We liked the option of having a ceiling fan or using AC. There is also a community kitchen stocked with snacks, beverages, etc. We were given a complimentary glass of wine upon arrival. The most outstanding feature of this hotel besides the service is the outdoor area which includes a well heated and clean pool and a hot tub. There are tables and comfortable chairs in tasteful groupings, candles, a torch--all very inviting. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends