“a wonderful surprise!”

Ranked #2 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
los angeles
“a wonderful surprise!”
Reviewed 4 February 2014

What a darling place. very charming and friendly . We especailly appreciated the quiet policy at the hotel. so many of the other hipster hotels in the area are all about noise and "party" and music blaring at all times. Not the Hotel California. I hate to sound corny…but it is an oasis. The owners and management could not have been more helpful. We especailly enjoyed the free bikes and the extensie DVD library. the pool is lovely. comfy places to relax and enjoy the lush gardens.

Room Tip: upstairs room.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (474)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 2 February 2014

My wife and I needed a quick getaway from the snow and ice of the north and we needed complication free, hassle-free trip arrangements. Happy to say Hotel California provided just that along with the feel of a true oasis in the desert. From our direct booking by phone with Larry, to the confirmation 5 minutes later that our car rental was all arranged to being picked up by Larry personally with his Harley Davidson Limo and being greeted with white wine by his wonderful daughter Lucy at the hotel office, it was a dream vacation. Whatever we needed was cheerfully provided from 24 hour availability of fruit, coffee and ice water to restaurant and hiking trail suggestions to further trips to restaurants in their limo there was nothing denied us. Thank you hotel California. Your #1 hotel rating in Trip Advisor is well deserved. We will be back.

Bellingham, Washington
Reviewed 1 February 2014

My quick visit to Palm Springs was made very enjoyable by choosing Hotel California. They have a friendly, fun-filled and helpful staff and great accommodations. I will stay there again next trip. A true oasis.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Buena Vista, Colorado
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Lucy and her team personalize their service to meet your needs. Water or wine upon check-in to recover from your travels, champagne for an anniversary celebration, dinner recommendations (you can't go wrong if you follow them), free limo to take you to dinner so you do not drive after happy hour in the garden, freshly picked grapefruit, beautiful gardens surrounding a pool and hot tub, and privacy. Candles and torches are lit every night to enhance the ambiance of the garden. Oh, did you leave something in your room? Call and it will be sent home. Rooms are up to date and very comfortable.
These are the experiences we had during our recent stay. No detail is overlooked. The hotel is conveniently removed from the crowds and noise of downtown, but within a healthy walking distance.
Dan C.

Room Tip: Room 6 -- the Town House -- is convenient if you want to have a bit more room for private entertaini...
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Just got back from Palm Springs and stayed at the Hotel California and I can't say enough about the property and the people who manage it. My work has me on the road at least 30-40 nights a year and this hotel by far, is my most favorite.
Our flight arrived later in the evening but that wasn't a problem for Larry the owner. He personally picked us up and brought us to the hotel, showed us to our room and the property itself and explained how things worked. The rooms are very clean. The bed was comfortable. There is a community kitchen open 24 hours with coffee and tea available along with some fresh fruit. There is a BBQ area if you want to cook yourself dinner. They clean up for you after while you relax.
The pool area is small but clean. The lounge chairs are in great shape and comfy. There is always a supply of towels in the rack and they keep the pool at a very comfortable 94 degrees. It is very peaceful and quiet during the day and evening.

What impresses me the most about this hotel is the attitude. It's very simple really but lost on so many in the service industry. Larry explained it to me best..."It costs money to keep that pool heated at 94 degrees and it costs money to keep the property in good shape but it doesn't cost anything to be nice to people and treat them right". Larry is smarter than a lot of business people I know and I've dealt with a lot over the last 30 years.

I can't recommend this hotel enough. I've stayed at 5 star properties. This hotel treats you like a 5 star customer. If I am ever in Palm Springs again, I will not stay anywhere else but at the Hotel California. They earn your business and they have mine.

Room Tip: There isn't a bad room. There are various sizes and other than right beside the pool, each room...
1 Thank westcanguy
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I could not have been happier with my stay. This hotel is so beautiful and the rooms are just gorgeous. I stayed in the King Romantica, with a slightly private patio/walkway that leads to the pool and the rest of the hotel. The property overall is so clean and very well maintained. The community kitchen was well stocked with fruit, snacks, coffee, tea, water, etc. The staff is friendly and go out of their way to help you or answer any questions you have. I don't think I ever once wanted to leave during my stay.

Also, this place is perfect for couples - I don't recommend it for families with children (kids would really disrupt the calm, but that's my personal opinion).

I've really been over the moon about my stay and can't wait to come back! It's a perfect little desert oasis.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Pickering, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2014 via mobile

I have stayed in many five star hotels and this hotel matches with the best of them for friendly and efficient service. Lucy is charm personified and Larry is everyone's favourite uncle, making sure your beer is not empty as you lay by the pool. The room (3) was spacious, very clean and supplied with complimentary tea, coffee, snacks, ironing board ( a gods send for those travelling a month or more) and complimentary wine and beer near the guests kitchen. All in all a real pleasure to stay there and be treated as true guests.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple