“Wonderful Home Away From Home”
Review of Hotel California

Hotel California
Ranked #2 of 75 Hotels in Palm Springs
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our weekend get-away at the Hotel California. When we checked in, we were immediately offered a wine or beer then given a detailed your of the property. Our townhouse (2 levels) was clean and spacious. The only downside was the vacuum created when the upstairs shower was on, which caused the shower curtain to be sucked inwards and surround anyone in the shower. The pool and hot tub area is lovely, as is the community room filled with games, DVDs, menus, etc. Highly recommend this property!

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Lara P
Write a ReviewReviews (1,608)

Reviewed 19 August 2014

What a wonderful way to spend a "girl's weekend"! From the moment I stepped inside the gate I felt totally pampered. I was greeted warmly and shown all the amenities of the property before being settled in my lovely room poolside. Every staff person was warm, friendly and pretty funny too. We were given great advice on restaurants to go to, bike paths to take and where to work out.

The hotel and property are beautiful. Lush landscaping with lots of hummingbirds to watch. The pool area is wonderful and we enjoyed the misters on such hot August days.

We are already planning our next trip to Hotel California for next August! Can't wait!

Room Tip: You can't choose a bad location. The hotel is quiet after 9:00 p.m. out of respect for all gues...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Katherine L
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Larry and his staff were incredible and welcoming. The grounds were comfortable and secluded. They treat you like family and make sure you are comfortable and relaxed. When our flight was delayed and we arrived late, they stayed and showed us around the property. The next day was cloudy, so Larry brought a space heater to the pool side to keep us warm. His charm and personality make us long to go back. The other guests were all returners who welcomed us and made us feel at home. We felt like we could be as social or keep to ourselves as we liked. One of the best places I have ever stayed. We want to give bad reviews so there will always be a vacancy for us, but no one should miss this gem in the desert. We cannot wait to return.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 August 2014

After two weeks of visiting and staying at some fantastic places across California, my wife and daughter were pretty tired and ready for a rest and a chance to reflect on what we had seen so far.
I promised the girls that if my research via Trip Advisor was correct, i had saved the best until last......and the team at Hotel California made it just that.
I won`t go over the details of the amenities, covered in previous posts, but believe me they are all true.
This Hotel is not your standard check in/check out, have a nice day kind of place. You feel like family here, the staff don`t work shifts, they are part the fabric of this place, and breeze around making sure everyone is comfortable even on their day off.
We were welcomed by Jay who made us feel at home from the off and by the time we left, you felt like he was your uncle or older brother.
Curly is a real pro who has worked in the industry for many years and knows what a guest expects and delivers it with a smooth charm.
Kirby is there most mornings and is extremely well travelled with a wealth of information at your disposal.
And last but by no means least is Mike the handy man who is there early morning and evenings to brighten everyones day with a friendly chat while he fixes up the place. Mike actually painted the Hotel when the present owner took over around 4 years ago and really cares about its reputation.
Me and the girls are gonna really miss that guy and Jay too.

I never got to meet Larry the owner who was away himself on vacation but judging by the outfit he has set up here and the people he employs... i like the guy without even meeting him, and he can rest assured that his Hotel is in safe hands while he is away.
So if you want a romantic escape, a place to relax, or a place where you can chat with other guests (my favourite) in wonderful surroundings with all the amenities mentioned by previous guests you could do a lot worse than The Hotel California..........and i`ll be honest with you i struggled to keep a dry eye when we checked out of this place.
And if you asked me for any room tips, i imagine there is one to suit you, but if you choose room 1 please look after it, because that was our home for 6 nights in the summer of 2014.

Room Tip: All Good but room 1 was ours and we loved it.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank AdeBrown
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I thoroughly enjoyed my visit here. The beautiful setting and the warmth of the staff make this a great base from which to explore Palm Springs. I was offered a drink on arrival and, even though, I was early, was given access to my room much earlier than anticipated. While I waited, I enjoyed a short tour of the property and was given access to the public lounge which contains several fascinating books and other items of interest.
My room was on the first floor and was very comfortable and contained all I needed for a comfortable stay.
If I had a gripe it would be that a shared balcony area can be tricky if other guests continually use it as their hangout and therefore have full sight into your bedroom! With this in mind, it would have been great to have had another window to open and look out of as the only other windows were behind the bed and quite difficult to access.
I would highly recommend this establishment to others and wish the proprietor much continued success!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank artpreston
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Checking in at Hotel California is like visiting close friends. The tropical garden with the pool, the complimentary snack and beverages at your room, the fully equiped kitchen and barbeque, the towel rack and the sunscreen provided by the pool, the air conditioned "public living room", the hospitability and friendliness og the staff. It all facilitate the hapiness and joy of the people staying there, making it so easy to get to know the other visitors and make new friends.

Love this place, and wouldn't even consider staying any other place in Palm Springs (o:

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The perfect hidden getaway for a couple of friends or couples. Small, intimate, nicely appointed rooms (good sheets/toiletries/beds), lovely guest amenities make this a hidden gem. Quiet, hip, comfortable. NOT for children or large groups. Fab staff, very helpful and accomodating. Lovely foliage adds to the atmosphere. Wish I were back there right now, sigh.

Room Tip: wifi spotty. sorry, I don't have any room tips!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends