“Highly Recommended”

East Canyon Hotel and Spa
Reviewed 11 November 2007

I recently returned from an extremely pleasant stay at East Canyon Hotel and Spa. It was a surprise birthday treat for my boyfriend.

The staff was incredibly helpful (setting up dinner reservations, calling cabs, offering travel tips, etc.). At my request, they also had a chilled bottle of Dom Pérignon and strawberries in the room upon our arrival.

I found the enitre staff to be incredibly friendly, helpful yet unobtrusive. The owner, Richard, always had a smile and would often inquire about our day. Upon our departure, Richard actually gave us a goodbye hug and wished my boyfriend a "Happy Birthday". I thought that was very sweet.

We booked the Grand Suite which was nice and private. The bathroom was huge (2-person shower, 2-person jacuzzi, double sinks). Unfortunately, I found some of the livingroom furniture to be a bit worn (yet comfy). And the bedroom was a tad dark for my liking (no windows).

I loved the size and privacy of the Grand Suite. However, the next time I stay at East Canyon, I'll request Room 23 (two doors down) because it has the best view of the surrounding mountains.

The centrally-located pool is in excellent condition and very refreshing! Although the outdoor jacuzzi is small, it's adequate. One evening my boyfriend and I were soaking in the jacuzzi and were joined by two other hotel guests (there was plenty of room to spare).

We took advantage of the spa treatments and loved our experiences! We booked the "Relax" package (steam, aroma therapy, swedish massage and facial). The licensed therapists are wonderful at their crafts and the treatments were well worth the price. It was nice to feel pampered!

The breakfast selection could be expanded a bit to include more "carb-friendly" items. Having bagels, muffins, fruit, and OJ every morning can pack on the pounds.

My only real complaint is this: one day my boyfriend and I returned from an afternoon outing and found our door had been left wide open. Luckily, nothing was missing (except for a handful of cashews). Apparently, whoever had been in our room was hungry at the time.

I, of course, talked to the front desk about this incident. The explanation I received was not satisfactory. I was told that the cleaning person had the day off so one of the hotel employees was tasked with cleaning rooms. As the gentleman at the front desk explained, "He's a real space cadet. He probably opened your door to clean your room, left to get something, then forgot to come back and went home."

As I said, nothing was missing (we had money and jewelry on the nightstand) but it was obviously a bit disconcerting and I expected a better explanation (and, perhaps, a heartfelt apology).

Despite that incident, we loved our stay at East Canyon and I highly recommend the hotel to other gay travelers.

Note: If you're looking for a wild time, poolside nudity, cruising, etc., I'd recommend booking elsewhere. The East Canyon is a pleasant alternative to that type of environment.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 October 2007

We stayed at the East Canyon several times in the early 2000s. After a change of ownership we didn’t know how things would develop and stayed at the Hacienda several times to play it safe. This trip was to see how things have gone at the East Canyon and we enjoyed our stay very much. We also like the Hacienda but found the East Canyon to be just as nice, more personal and more reasonably priced - e.g. the weekend rates start on Thursday at the Hacienda. The rooms were updated recently at the East Canyon and everything was spotless. Michael, the manager and Richard, the owner were always around and available for "concierge services" like dinner reservations etc. The Hacienda and the East Canyon are good choices for people looking for upscale gay accommodations without the sleaziness of some Palm Springs guesthouses. We presently prefer the East Canyon.

• Stayed: October 2007
3  Thank fgm4
Reviewed 17 September 2007

East Canyon hotel is truly the perfect desert oasis. Richard and his terrific staff do everything to insure your comfort. This is not a pretentious , attitude laden place. It is a intimate exclusive enclave designed for relaxation and restoration. The rooms are spot on, the pool area is central to the whole property, and the spa services are truly some of the best I've had in the world. As a single traveler, I felt more than comfortable. There were other singles, couples and groups of friends stayng at the same time. This is not a party central, sleazy hotel. You can have the vacation you want— be it complete relaxation, or using the property as a retreat from the Palm Springs party scene, literally only blocks away—this it truly a special place that provides everything you could want without any attitude or annoyance. Do everything or do nothing, this is the place. Do yourself a favour and book a spa treatment when you make a reservation. It's sooooo worth it.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled solo
1  Thank SanFranciscoMichael
Reviewed 8 April 2007

My partner and I just returned from a wonderfully relaxing week at the East Canyon. This is a lovely, quiet and well-appointed place to stay, which we highly recommend without reservation. It is no wonder it has won hospitality awards.

East Canyon isn't a large place and that is at the heart of its appeal. It is quiet and intimitately sized, and well laid out around a central garden/pool/hot tub with plenty of comfortable seating - at tables and on pool-side lounges.

Richard, the Innkeeper, is a genuinely kind and helpful person who is exactly the type of person who should be running an establishment like this. He and his staff have done their best to think of everything a guest might need to enjoy some time in the sun - from a sizable lending library for poolside reading, to making iced tea available on the patio every afternoon, to providing sun tanning products in the event you run out or require something with a stronger SPF than you packed. And if one doesn't want to leave the complex for lunch, Richard has a sandwich menu and, through an arrangement with a local eatery, will happily place an order for you.

We were in a Junior Suite, which is very spacious and well-appointed with luxe, stylish furnishings and very comfortable bedding.

Every morning, a small breakfast is set out - fresh fruit, yoghurt, muffins, breads and bagels, cereals, juices, etc. - the perfect way to start a day with one of a variety of newspapers (local and national) to which the Inn subscribes. It is also an opportunity to meet and speak with other guests and trade ideas about attractions and places to eat dinner. It appeared to us that most of our fellow travellers were couples and likely relatively comfortably off.

I'm recovering from cancer and am not as energetic or outgoing as I normally am. Richard and his staff really went out of their way to make sure I was comfortable.

Incidentally, the weather was remarkable - about 90 degrees and sunny each day - or about 60 degrees warmer than Toronto when we left! Although I had to stay out of the sun, I did enjoy reading quietly in the shade on the ample and lushly landscaped patio.

There are a variety of spa treatments available on-site. I took advantage of a massage and reflexology treatment, both of which were perfectly relaxing, therapeutic and expertly administered.

It is important to note, as have other reviewers, that this is NOT at all a cruisy hotel. Nor is it clothes-optional. If that is what you want from your Palm Springs experience, this is NOT the place for you. But if you want a well-appointed, well looked after, friendly, relaxing setting, you may have found a tiny piece of paradise at the East Canyon.

The only point I'd note for you is this - I dont think the pictures on the Inn's website do justice to the place - it is even more charming than the website photos suggest.

We look forward to returning, in better health, to enjoy more of the wonderful mid-century architecture and furnishings and accessories that abound in Palm Springs.

Stayed: April 2007
4  Thank M2F2
Reviewed 8 March 2007

My partner and I just had an enjoyable stay at the East Canyon Hotel and Spa.

As far as the upscale gay "hotels" in town go (and we have stayed at all of them) this is the best.

However, the first time visitor to P.S. should understand that none of these places could accurately (at least in my opinion) be called a hotel.

I consider them all to be bed and breakfasts.

East Canyon is in a quiet location, not an easy walk to downtown but doable. It is an older apartment building/motel that has been tastefully updated.

The staff is very professsional as well as friendly.

Richard, the owner, is on site frequently which is a rarity for these places.

The guests are comprised mainly of couples, but there are some singles as well. This place is not the least bit cruisy.

The pool is lovely and very relaxing, the jacuzzi very small. There is no gym but they do have some fantastic spa treatments available on site.

We availed ourselves of several massages and they were first rate, on par with a Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons.

Our room (a junior suite) was spacious, recently updated and had a very comfy bed and lovely sheets.

All in all a very pleasant stay and we would not hesitate to recommend this place to our friends.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Drewmc50
Reviewed 17 February 2007

I had never been to Palm Springs before and I wanted to visit a non-sleazy gay resort that offered all of the amenities one can find in a larger luxury property minus the hassles that come with staying at one of those mega-resorts (such as having to find the swimming pool on a map or shlepp 10 minutes from your car to your room). The folks at East Canyon really got it right. What they've done is create a sophisticated gay (and straight friendly too! ) environment that is intimate, lush and friendly -- the perfect place for a short or extended getaway in the sun. The newly renovated rooms are beautiful and spacious -- they can compete with rooms found in some of the better boutique hotels. The outdoor space around the pool is well-maintained and the deck chairs are comfortable and abundant. Richard, the owner, did a great job of introducing guests to one another, and he was a wonderful resource as to all things Palm Springs. I highly recommend East Canyon.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled solo
1  Thank LawyerBoyNYC
Reviewed 27 January 2007

We have stayed in most all of the gay hotels in Palm Springs and East Canyon is by far the best.

The grounds and our room were immaculately clean (unlike most of the ones in Warm Sands that are borderline dirty and smell musty).

The rooms are very large and well-designed. Ours had a flat panel TV, DVD, super soft sheets and down comforters. They have great bath soaps and shampoos.

The staff and the owner were warm, friendly and very helpful. Everyone (including the housekeeper) made an effort to make sure everything was first-class and we enjoyed our stay. the morning breakfast buffet was ample and the whole setting gave us an opportunity to make some new friends.

There is a spa but we didn't utilize it (the time slots we wanted were already booked), but the other guys said their massages were top-notch.

This is not a sex-joint - it's a classy, clean, comfortable, friendly place to stay and have the right amount of privacy as well as the right amount of meeting new people. There's no attitude and the staff goes out of their way to make sure everyone is comfortable.

We'll be back!