“Perfection”

East Canyon Hotel and Spa
Reviewed 6 February 2012

My partner & I stayed @ the East Canyon Resort & Spa in January. It was mid-week (and January!) so the hotel was fairly empty. In many places that would adversely-affect service-levels, but this is most-certainly not the case here! From the moment we checked-in we were made to feel welcome, and there wasn't anything the staff wouldn't do for us.

We stayed in a junior suite on the second floor (room 11?) with a magnificent view of the mountains, palm trees and the pool. The room was well-appointed and comparable to what you'd find in a four or five-star hotel: high thread-count linens, a decent sound system with USB ports, free wifi, etc. We particurlarly liked the interior decor - masculine, but not cliched.

There were more than enough seating options pool-side: plenty of chaise lounges in the sun and the shade, and if you happen to forget your iPod or iPhone, you can still listen to a wonderfully eclectic collection through the poolside sound-system.

We particularly appreciated the fact that there was no 'scene' here. We're no prudes, but it was nice to be able to relax poolside without feeling like we were part of a sidewalk-sale. Our fellow-guests were cordial, but respected each others boundaries, which is refreshing for a gay resort.

My partner took advantage of the spa and booked a 60-minute massage which he declared to be one of the best he's had. If you're so inclined, there's even a huge selection of movies to borrow. Movie-queens take note: I believe the entire TCM Collecrtion is here!

Palm Springs and its gay-resorts can have a slightly-tawdry reputation. Its nice to see that Richard & his staff are dedicated to running a high-quality resort and offer a wealth of reliable information on where to shop, eat, drink, tour, hike, golf, etc.

I'd live here if I could - it's that wonderful!

Thanks for a wonderful three days!

Room Tip: Rooms on the east wing of the second floor offer fabulous views of the mountains. You can watch the...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank stevie8
There are newer reviews for East Canyon Hotel and Spa

Reviewed 1 February 2012

I am a bit late in putting up this comment but can sum up our stay in one word FAB-U-LOUS!!
The service was brilliant, the room luxurious and the grounds great.

Not being muscle boys or young oh and British we liked that it was not an optional clothing establishment (however we are not obese just to clarify). Had it been an optional clothing establishment we could not have moved from our sun beds until after dark! It did not seem at all seedy which we liked.

The spa treatment is excellent - one of the best so make sure you book!

We will be back - WELL DONE EAST CANYON

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 January 2012

If you’ve already read my review of East Canyon you know I’m a blissful-postulate. I’ve been back two times since then and in my last visit I learned even more information that made me excited, and sort of feeling like I had “missed out.” One of the lovely things I like about the place is the clientele that come, and hang out at the cocktail mixer in the afternoon, and the breakfast in the morning. This visit I sat with one of the lovely regular guests (like myself, in town for business) who told me about the New Year’s event that Richard the owner puts on. There is a little party for the guests on NY-Eve, and a big brunch on NY-day. It sounded really nice. I also learned that Richard is known for his holiday events and booking long months in advance is necessary. Good to know! I could have come out and done New Years with the guys!!
I also learned other information about the rooms. My last two visits I stayed in the Junior Suite, and I recommend them! I’ve attached photos. I liked Room 2, on the ground level… and then stayed in Room 27 on the upper and was surprised how much larger that room was! I had this thought about how fun it would be on New Years to have several friends come down and stay over with me in the adjoining room, and share the spacious seating-area. So, I have things to plan and look forward too for next year.
As always, one of the nicest parts of the stay is having coffee in the morning with Richard the owner. I look forward to it, as do all the regular guests. I confirmed this last visit when the guys came down for coffee to chat with him.
I highly recommend the personal nature of the place and Richard the owner.

Room Tip: I really liked Junior Suite 2 and 27. Althought 27 was almost too much room for me on an overnighter...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 December 2011

This is our second Christmas holiday stay at the hotel. This hotel is actually small which is a plus. The staff is friendly and helpful and the owner, Richard, is there every day making sure things are going well. We have always enjoyed meeting the other guests and made friends along the way. The place is immaculately kept. We have not tried the spa services, but the pool and hot tub are quite nice. Wifi is complementary but a little weak in the rooms. It is a little on the edge of the downtown stores and restaurants, but not an impossible walk. A standard continental breakfast is included. They offer complimentary drinks in the late afternoon. Few seemed to take advantage of this on our stays which was a disappointment, as it would have been nice to be able to socialize. The rooms are large but a bit on the dark side. Be aware that if you prefer firm beds that you might find these too soft. We plan to return to this hotel on all future visits.

Room Tip: Upper level rooms seem brighter and more private. Rooms 21-24 face the mountains.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 December 2011

We stayed here for 3-4 days as part of a holiday travelling around southern California from London. A great chilled and relaxing place. Very peaceful and friendly. They have a delicious breakfast - fresh fruit, juice, bagels and pastries, and the BEST COFFEE I've had in America. The owner also invited everybody for cocktails / wine on Saturday evening, which was a great way to meet the other guests in a relaxed atmosphere.
I have no reservations in recommending this place.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 November 2011

This hotel was great though not busy for the time of year. The weather was not that great for the weekend we were there so never got to use the nice clean pool! The rooms were freshly decorates and immaculetly clean. Though I must say the room was a little dark - I am going to put that down to the complete lack of sun.

Jason was ever so helpful in recommending restaurants and making bookings for us. This hotel is run with the finess of a larger property and offers the intimacy you expect. It is a wee bit outside of the centre but there was great restaurants within walking distance and a great wee tiki bar close by as well. Without doubt will stay there next time we are in Palm Springs.

Thanks

Paul

Room Tip: Make sure its sunny!
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 November 2011

My partner and I had the perfect 5 day getaway from the DC area. As Palm Springs regulars for more than 10 years, we were very impressed with our first stay at East Canyon. From our initial email contacts to reserve the room through checkout, everything was flawless. Perfect location on a quiet street, ample parking, wonderful ambiance, comfy rooms, delightful pool and hot tub, helpful staff, and friendly guests. Richard the owner checked in with us every day, which really made us feel welcome. The entire property was immaculate. Continental breakfast was plentiful and was more than enough to get us going for the day. Rooms seemed larger and better appointed than photos show, and the bathroom in our 2 queen bed room was quite large with ample storage and a nice large shower. Perfect!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple