“Wonderful oasis”

East Canyon Hotel and Spa
West Virginia
“Wonderful oasis”
Reviewed 17 June 2008

My partner and I stayed at the East Canyon Spa for four nights in early June 2008. What a wonderful experience. The staff is incredible. Charles and Julius were so helpful and friendly. They eagerly offered to help with reservations and/or suggestions for restaurants and for other attractions. We enjoyed every restaurant that they suggested. We even took a road trip to Idlewyld, CA upon Charles' suggestion and it was a wonderful day! I highly recommend making the trek up the mountains to see this ideal spot! Richard, the owner, was also delightful. He was sincere when asking how our stay was going and if he could help us in any way. The hotel is a wonderful property. It is small, but very well-maintained. We stayed in a junior suite and it was very clean and comfortable. The bed was great! We also enjoyed the spa and we each had several treatments. The staff at the spa was wonderful, too. We both enjoyed our massages and facials. I highly recommend this hotel and we can't wait to return.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Billy1115
Reviewed 27 May 2008

Stayed at the East Canyon. I wasn't sure what to expect. Safe secure location. I liked the area. Very close to Palm Canyon. Staff could be a lttle friendlier. The Beds are way to firm for me. Don't expect a soft pillowtop matress. rooms are modern with flat screen tvs. AC is above average system and worked like a gem as it was 113 outside. Despite the rock like beds I would stay here again! Its that nice.

Overall this place is great. No one's in your business friendly people to snooty guests. A wide variety.

• Liked — room
  • Disliked — Staff beds-lack of room safe
  • Stayed May 2008
1 Thank Billy1115
The Capital
Reviewed 26 May 2008

We have stayed at the East Canyon before and appreciate it for its competent, predictable service. We did not have any issues with the cleanliness of the pool or our room, as did a previous reviewer. (We were awake every morning at 630 when the pool cleaner did his rounds.)

More attention could be given to the bathrooms which are looking a bit long in the tooth and need to be refreshed.

Also there were two clothes closets in our room but no dresser. One closet has no hangers, only shelves. The closet with hangers and shelves is in the bathroom, which is not ideal.

• Liked — Calm, competent service.
  • Disliked — Room size versus price
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
Bradenton, Florida
Reviewed 18 May 2008

We recently made our first trip to Palm Springs and wanted to stay somewhere nice, so we selected the East Canyon Spa based on it's Five Palms and Cherries Ratings. We were not quite sure that the place is quite at that level, but it is a very nice and comfortable place to stay. Richard, the owner is around quite a bit and is most helpful with whatever you need, reservations, information, whatever. The breakfast is very nice, with a good selection and everything seemed very fresh. The parking was adequate for the number of rooms. Like other reviewers, we had a bit of an issue with the shower and the water pressure, but our real issue was with the pool. It is a nice pool, but there was dirt and derbris in the pool during our entire visit. I noticed it in the pool on our way to our room and the pool was never vacumned or cleaned as of the time we checked out (2 nights). The property overall seems to be clean and well-run, so we found it a bit odd that the pool was being neglected. We also were disappointed that even though the in-room book said housekeeping worked until 3, that our room wasn't cleaned because we didn't go out for lunch until 1pm, and the housekeeper had to go, according to the desk clerk. I will say, however, he was very nice and immediately brought me fresh towels...everyone there really tries to be accomodating. You will not go wrong by staying here.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
Santa Barbara, CA
Reviewed 10 March 2008

This is definitely a well kept, clean property run by an efficient staff. Very friendly and helpful.
However, our room's bathroom was not what we had imagined given the glistening photos on their website. The shower head was sub par and had awful pressure. The sink faucet splashed all over the counter. The grounds are green but not "lush tropical" as described on their site.
I'd probably stay there again given the peace and quiet, easy access to town, simple breakfast and good parking.

• Liked — Clean rooms
  • Disliked — Shower Heads
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with friends
boston
Reviewed 27 February 2008

Richard and his entire staff have successfully created an oasis in the desert. The East Canyon Hotel & Spa is the perfect place for a relaxing get-away. Surrounded by exquisite scenery, the hotel rooms and pubic spaces are nicely decorated, relaxing, comfortable, clean, and inviting. The onsite spa offers the usual treatments but performed by outstanding professionals, in fact everyone at the hotel are wonderful and provide a great experience. I loved it and can’t wait to return. GC, Room 23

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with friends
Washington, DC
Reviewed 11 November 2007

I recently returned from an extremely pleasant stay at East Canyon Hotel and Spa. It was a surprise birthday treat for my boyfriend.

The staff was incredibly helpful (setting up dinner reservations, calling cabs, offering travel tips, etc.). At my request, they also had a chilled bottle of Dom Pérignon and strawberries in the room upon our arrival.

I found the enitre staff to be incredibly friendly, helpful yet unobtrusive. The owner, Richard, always had a smile and would often inquire about our day. Upon our departure, Richard actually gave us a goodbye hug and wished my boyfriend a "Happy Birthday". I thought that was very sweet.

We booked the Grand Suite which was nice and private. The bathroom was huge (2-person shower, 2-person jacuzzi, double sinks). Unfortunately, I found some of the livingroom furniture to be a bit worn (yet comfy). And the bedroom was a tad dark for my liking (no windows).

I loved the size and privacy of the Grand Suite. However, the next time I stay at East Canyon, I'll request Room 23 (two doors down) because it has the best view of the surrounding mountains.

The centrally-located pool is in excellent condition and very refreshing! Although the outdoor jacuzzi is small, it's adequate. One evening my boyfriend and I were soaking in the jacuzzi and were joined by two other hotel guests (there was plenty of room to spare).

We took advantage of the spa treatments and loved our experiences! We booked the "Relax" package (steam, aroma therapy, swedish massage and facial). The licensed therapists are wonderful at their crafts and the treatments were well worth the price. It was nice to feel pampered!

The breakfast selection could be expanded a bit to include more "carb-friendly" items. Having bagels, muffins, fruit, and OJ every morning can pack on the pounds.

My only real complaint is this: one day my boyfriend and I returned from an afternoon outing and found our door had been left wide open. Luckily, nothing was missing (except for a handful of cashews). Apparently, whoever had been in our room was hungry at the time.

I, of course, talked to the front desk about this incident. The explanation I received was not satisfactory. I was told that the cleaning person had the day off so one of the hotel employees was tasked with cleaning rooms. As the gentleman at the front desk explained, "He's a real space cadet. He probably opened your door to clean your room, left to get something, then forgot to come back and went home."

As I said, nothing was missing (we had money and jewelry on the nightstand) but it was obviously a bit disconcerting and I expected a better explanation (and, perhaps, a heartfelt apology).

Despite that incident, we loved our stay at East Canyon and I highly recommend the hotel to other gay travelers.

Note: If you're looking for a wild time, poolside nudity, cruising, etc., I'd recommend booking elsewhere. The East Canyon is a pleasant alternative to that type of environment.

• Liked — Friendly Staff
  • Disliked — Security
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple