“Lovely great concept”

Ranked #56 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
Oslo
“Lovely great concept”
Reviewed 15 June 2012

Came in, easy parking, got a full tour at check-in which was very nice. Went down to the really cool pool area, brought our own wine and loved it. Retro style with palms all I could ask for. The room was clean and for a boutique hotel obviously rebuilt I give it a good pass grade for layout.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 11 June 2012

Just got back from a last minute getaway and had the best time.
The goal was to relax and get sun. DONE AND DONE
The rooms are simple (we had a patio room) but comfortable.
The small refrigerator was a plus.
Carla from the hotel takes great pride in making sure that you are well taken care of.
She was quick to handle any request and had great dinner suggestions. She was a real star.
The pool could use a skimming but overall it was a perfect get away.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Albert M
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 7 June 2012

I can't say enough about my Girlfriend's Getaway where I was lucky enough to book two roons at the Movie Colony Hotel this past March. It was the best time ever and we are all talking about going back just to stay at the Movie Colony Hotel and not even leave the grounds! It was so relaxing and we loved the complimentary breakfast and happy hour with the other guests that we felt like we knew everyone and looked forward to catching up with what others had done during the day. The staff felt like family and went out of their way to make sure we were enjoying ourselves. The resort is peaceful and we enjoyed the pool and spa. Just the perfect amount of sun and shade throughout the day. Next time we swear we are going to use the complimentary bikes and explore that way instead of the easy walk into town and to some great restaurants. High recommend this place!!!

Room Tip: I don't think their is a bad room in the place, we had one by the pool that was super nice and h...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 29 May 2012

I've been trying to book The Movie Colony Hotel the last few times I've visited Palm Springs and each time, it's been full. This past Memorial Day Weekend, we succeeded and stopped by for 2 nights with another couple. The service here is truly spectacular. We got a mini guided tour of the property when we checked in by one of the most genuinely friendly/helpful hotel employees I've ever encountered. I can't recall her name but she was there all weekend, checking to make sure we had enough towels, giving directions to restaurants and even bringing cocktails by the pool during their free Happy Hour - ummm, awesome! They have a fully stocked bar area with coffee cups, plates, blender, microwave, etc. and lemon and cucumber water pitchers out all day. There are also six beach cruisers available for use.

The rooms themselves were nice and stylish but some of the communal features were a little run down: the umbrellas, some of the pool loungers, etc. The pool also needed to be cleaned up a bit. The only true negative (and this was no fault of the hotel) was that there was a large, rowdy wedding party staying there that was really obnoxious and noisy.

All and all, I would definitely recommend this hotel again! :)

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Cambridge, UK
Reviewed 2 May 2012

I admit that my review of this hotel might be slightly clouded by the fact that I did not really like Palm Springs, and would not bother staying there again, but I will try and be objective. Palm Springs has a lot of reasonably priced accommodation on offer, and wading through all the hotels in order to choose one was a bit of a challenging task. I eventually chose this hotel for location, cost and it’s architectural heritage and booked one of the ‘town houses’ by the pool. The extra space was nice, but overall the room wasn’t somewhere I wanted to spend too long in. As with a lot of architecturally interesting places, it looked the part but wasn’t exactly comfortable or amazing inside, in fact in places I would say it was rather shabby. It was however, perfectly adequate, and for the price I would not complain, but just felt that it could have been better.

The hotel does offer a couple of welcome complimentary extras – Cocktail hour between 5:30 & 6:30 where wine, beer and sake martini (which was delicious) are available, and also a free continental breakfast, but you need to get there early for that otherwise there tends to be nothing but cereal left. I can’t remember the exact times that was on offer, but the front desk to give you that information on check in.

Due to our plans changing we only ended up spending 2 nights here. That was enough for me and I would not have wanted to stay longer, although that was mostly because I was glad to leave Palm Springs!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jc76
san francisco
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Stylish exterior restored to mid-century decor. Loved the intimacy of this small hotel, coming down to the breakfast bar in the morning in the robe provided, then lounging by the pool with my coffee. The entry level room was on the small side with just a shower and no tub. But that shower head delivered with great force, a rarity in water-conscious California, and especially welcome in a climate where you're taking three showers a day! Plumbing was noisy and sometimes the toilet ran after flushing and the shower dripped unless you were careful to push in the knob to just the right angle with the correct amount of force. Liked the larger refrigerator, never used the TV, too busy! Good AC. Well-lit room for reading and liked the dimmer switches.

Stayed April 2012, travelled solo