“First time stay Will stay here again”
Review of Movie Colony Hotel

Movie Colony Hotel
Ranked #56 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

My first stay here first impressions it was very quiet quaint modern friendly. A lot of older people but I like it no noise at night. Its private no one bothers u I like that it's adults only no screaming kids anywhere to be found. I got an upgrade to a two story townhouse it was very nice. I will def stay here again. P.s. the Mexican restaurant next door has good food as well and they deliver to ur room and the food was good.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank tiestofan1
There are newer reviews for Movie Colony Hotel

Reviewed 2 April 2014

Great place to stay and very friendly people. Good service, nice surroundings, terraces or patios in all rooms, very private, nice decor and relaxing pool area. Free breakfasts, happy hour, parking and close to main streets.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Monica S
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We stayed there two nights at the end of March and loved it. The hotel was designed by Albert Frey and it looks amazing. We met the owner who is really nice and always has a good story to share about the glorious days of Palm Springs. Every evening, happy hours outside to enjoy a glass of wine and chat with other guests. The pool is ideally oriented and it looks really good. As nice as the Ace hotel, but without the hispter crowd and the price. +++

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We just had a couple of night stay at the Movie Colony, it was okay, the location was pretty good for central Palm Springs. We had a paid pre booking through Expedia so the price was okay, not as good as we thought it would be for what we got. We were given room 23 second floor at the end of the outside walkway, not a bad room, but it was right next to the Mexican restaurant next door, so if you don’t mind loud Mexican music all afternoon and evening then the room won’t be a bother for you. The room came with a small refrigerator which was handy, the air conditioner was a under the window type loud enough to drown out some of the mariachi music from next door but not quite! Although it was really too loud to leave on for long when we were inside the room. Overall the room was clean the bed linen was clean and fresh. The bathroom was clean and tidy, although the main carpet in the bedroom could do with a bit of a clean as it is showing some stains.

The breakfast was cereal and bagels, coffee and orange juice with some fruit so adequate for breakfast. They did service wine and martini mix around 5.30 which was nice but it would have been that bit better with a few crackers and cheese. They have a nice pool and Jacuzzi area, also some bikes you can check out which is nice. The couple of the staff members we interacted when we checked in and spoke to around the hotel were friendly and nice so no complaints there. Parking is outside the walled perimeter so no security for the car, there is a side gate you pretty much enter and exit from.

Monday morning nice and early around 7.15am the cleaning crew came and was washing down the walkways outside the room, and so it was just as well we didn’t want a lie in but I guess they have to do it sometime, trouble was they washed the table and chairs down so it was a bit wet to sit and have breakfast on them later on. All in all not a bad stay, but I have to say room for improvement, as I had mentioned in an e mail earlier to them it was a quick visit for our 33rd wedding anniversary they said wonderful they would really take care of us when we arrived in their reply I guess we are still waiting! But to be honest I didn’t expect anything nor did I think they would do much especially as we got a cheaper rate with Expedia. I guess I would have been upset paying full price to listen to the restaurant next door as the music does go on till 11pm and of course people are loud while having their fun there.

We generally like to check out and stay in the small hotels around town 2 or 3 times a year out in Palm Springs so as there are still plenty we haven’t stayed in, I doubt we shall be back any time soon.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the rooms that are next to the Mexican restaurant unless you like to listen to the mu...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

I booked a trip here for three nights through Expedia well in advance of what is one of Palm Springs busiest weekends - The Tour of Palm Springs - a bicycle classic!

My gal and I drove approx. 500 miles to get there on Friday night at 8:30pm. When we arrived at the hotel, the front desk/office was CLOSED. Locked. Shut. No one there!

There was a phone number posted for "late arrivals". Mind you this is on a weekend where 10-15000 cyclists and there families show up from all over the country to ride early the next morning!!!

We called the number immediately and no one picked up the phone. Further, it was a generic recording and NO opportunity to leave a message. By this, around 9pm, I'm starting to panic! No hotel room on a busy weekend! I immediately started calling around to try and find something - luckily I was able to snag a room for the weekend - the FAR better Colony Palms Hotel (see my review).

Around 10pm, 90 minutes after I called the "late arrival" number I got a call from movie colony hotel asking if I was checking in? I explained to them that No, I would not be checking in and was canceling my plans with them in light of their failure to be there and leaving me with no option but to seek another hotel.

Because my reservation had been through Expedia and was an "internet special" and prepaid I had to contact Expedia for a refund. Suffice it to say that experience did not go well. I spent hours on the phone over several calls while Expedia tried to "negotiate" with the hotel to get me a refund. Neither Expedia not the hotel would process a full refund - charging me for one night even though we never stayed there.

I finally had no choice but to contact Visa who did the right thing and refunded my money.

I would never stay with a hotel that
1) doesn't staff their front desk on a Friday night at 8:30 on a busy weekend
2) doesn't profusely apologize and immediately refund the money if anything like the above happened.

And I will never use Expedia again. They tried to get me to "forget about it" by placing me on hold for hours, making me repeat my story to multiple personnel, make me hold while they spoke with hotel rather than calling me back, and ultimately saying sorry you're out of luck! Well I'm not out of luck but they are out of luck thinking I will ever book with them again. Smart choice Expedia!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank William F
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I am staying at Movie Colony now. So many things are wrong. I booked and prepaid back in October for an upgraded room with private terrace. When I arrived they down graded me to a terrible small room. The next day I called Booking.com and they called the front desk and got me my room that I had paid for. Movie Colony said it was a clerical error. I had to pack up everything and moved to a downstairs room with a patio. But they have 2 wifi, moviecolony1 for upstairs rooms, and moviecolony2 for the downstairs rooms. I had to hook up a second time. I now have to listen to the people upstairs as the ceiling is making a creaky sound every time they walk across the room. The breakfast is a joke. The happy hour has terrible wine. This place is old and dirty. I cannot lay on the chairs on my patio as they are very uncomfortable and does not have cushions. You have to park on a side street and walk in through a side door after 7pm, and I don't feel safe doing that at night. I hate this location. Last year I stayed at The Old Ranch Inn on Patencio Street and I like the tennis court section of town much better. No one is friendly here. It is a very cold environment. I wish I could leave.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank CityGirl405
MCHMGMT, Front Office Manager at Movie Colony Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2015

I am very sorry to learn that your stay thus far has been unpleasant.
I apologize for any inconvenience that transferring rooms might have caused you. I was unaware of the dislike of your room.

I am sorry to learn that breakfast and our wireless internet services are not to your satisfaction. To offer better service, we offer an expanded continental breakfast and have multiple wireless internet routers around the property.

I am sorry to hear that you dislike our wine selection. If I may, I would like to invite you to try our “Dean Martini’’, which is also offered during happy hour.

We apologize that our lobby hours are an inconvenience to you; we can assure you that our property is secure.

I am extremely disappointed to hear you find our staff to be unfriendly, and the ambience cold. We take great pride on the level of customer service we provide. I am very sorry if at any time you felt unwelcomed.

I truly hope that in these next few days we can successfully accomplish changing your perception of our hotel and staff. Please do not hesitate to let me know if I can assist you in any way possible to make your stay in Palm Springs a memorable one.

Respectfully,
Juana

Reviewed 11 March 2014

My husband and I stayed here for the weekend for a family/friends gathering. After making our reservations, I noticed on Trip Advisor that there is someone at the front desk from 9am to 7pm. I was concerned about our check-in since we were arriving at 9pm. I contacted them and they responded promptly on how to check-in after hours. It worked out great. We had a patio room right near the reception/breakfast area in the courtyard. Most people were pretty considerate regarding talking loudly outside the room so that did not affect us. There is a restaurant next door and the people there were a little loud. In the morning, the housekeepers spray down and sweep the floors outside. This did not bother us that much. The breakfast was minimal (coffee, juice, fruit, bagels, yogurt) but really all you need to start the day. The room was quite clean. Yes... this place is "older" but we liked the retro-vibe. My biggest problem was that I felt the bed was too soft for my taste. Also, the wall air-conditioner was hard to regulate. A small suggestion for the motel is that it would be nice to have a full-length mirror in the room. There was plenty of wall space and it would be convenient when getting ready. The location was great for walking into town. We didn't take advantage of the bicycles but it is a nice feature. One night we came home from dinner around 10pm. When we got to the hotel, all the designated parking spots were filled and we didn't know where to park since the surrounding lots were private. It was unclear if we could park on the streets since no one else seem to be doing it. It would have been nice to know alternative areas to park. All in all, this was very nice place to stay and would stay here again. Next time, I would like to try a terrace room or one by the pool.

Room Tip: Room 14 is near the reception/breakfast area. The room was fine but when you open the door, there ar...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple