“Could use some improvement”

Quality Inn Palm Springs
Ranked #62 of 74 Hotels in Palm Springs
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We booked this hotel, because they allow pets with no extra charge, and had no problem with our two 100+ pound dogs. We originally had requested a room with two queen beds, but Brian told us a room with one king bed would probably give us more room for the dogs, so we opted for that.

Check in was smooth and the staff were pleasant enough. Directions to our room were a bit confusing as the property is multiple buildings and numbering on the doors is quite small.

Our room was clean, but it was in dire need of refurbishment. In fact the entire property could use an update. Paint was peeling, the wall paper in our room was peeling from the walls, all of the faucets had hard water deposits so bad it impeded the flow of water, and the coffee pot seemed to have been purchased at an irregular’s store. The bed was saggy and the pillows were quite small. We usually travel with our own pillows, since we know hotel pillows can be questionable at best. This was one of those times where it was a good move on our part. The exterior was weather worn and clearly the wood was rotting. The stucco was crumbling and paint patches were done poorly and looked shoddy.

I have to say that my biggest complaint was with the wasteful use of water. When flushed our toilet would go through two tanks for one flush. This was totally unnecessary and we couldn't figure out a way to make it stop. Housekeeping said this was normal. Every day the grounds were watered twice daily. California is in the worst drought on record and frankly, I think that property owners in the desert who insist on having lush, green grass are completely off the mark. Every single irrigation system pump we passed had a pool of water around it from leaks. Water was constantly running through the parking lots and into the streets from the leaks and over watering. One sprinkler head was aimed at the parking lot and was not anywhere near the grass.

I doubt we would choose this property again unless some major renovations were completed and they curtailed their irresponsible water usage.

I would like to thank Brian and the rest of the staff for being so pleasant and welcoming of our furry family members. Having our dogs travel with us is a great joy and finding places that will accept two extra-large dogs can be a challenge.

The only photos I took were of the very oddly configured coffee pot and the view from the parking lot in front of our room. There are photos from other reviews that show the run-down state of the property are totally accurate.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the pool unless you like loud music and screaming children all day until the...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 26 May 2014

My family and i stayed here as a trip for Memorial day weekend. We booked last minute so there weren't many hotels to pick. We thought quality inn was nice because we've stayed a couple of times at Quality Inns in other locations before, and the service was fantastic! However, this specific Quality Inn was horrible.

Pros:
- very nice and quiet location
- poolside had mist sprays for hot day
- not too expensive vending machines
- standard room size
- jacuzzi was pretty big
- nice staff
- very close to downtown palm springs
- lots of parking space to park very close to room
- shower heats up LITERALLY INSTANTLY
- super cold AC after a long tiring and hot day

Cons
- price was a little high for the quality
- pool didn't look chlorinated at all, was very disgusting and dirty, could not even see through the filthy water
- peeling paint and walls (some parts destroyed)
- alive and dead bugs under bed, on bed, and on carpet
- very questionable carpet
- very thin walls
- every time someone even tiptoed, the whole room would shake
- we put a do not disturb sign, room cleaning barged in anyways
- door closed with much effort
- room cleaning did not close door (we left at 8 am and came back at 5pm)
- lots of smell of cigarettes (not recommended because second-hand smoking)
- fitness room no bigger than 2 minivans,
a. 3 machines: one okay treadmill, one rusting leg press, and one broken elipticle
- fitness room was mirrored to look bigger
- people partying until 2 am (drinking, laughing in the jaccuzi very loundly far after pool hours)
I guess i wouldnt give this hotel a one star review because overall it was okay. It was "livable" and wasn't too bad, since our recent hotel experienced were horrible. We booked last minute so we shouldn't expect too much. This hotel is good if you only stay for 1-3 nights. Do not expect it to be more than a motel. I don't think I will stay here again.

Room Tip: if you want microwave, ask for microwave. Do not choose room next to poolside. Make sure to book a s...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank traveler18232014
Reviewed 9 May 2014

The hotel is a little tired and it could have been cleaner. My biggest complaint was the maid tried to barge in about 8:45 AM (there was no “Do Not Disturb” sign in the room) and then never returned. We were out of the room by 10:00 AM so there was no excuse to not return.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Art F, General Manager at Quality Inn Palm Springs, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. First I would like to apologize for the housekeeper coming into your room so early. I am going to bring this up to our executive housekeeper and have her go over the procedure for checking rooms. This was not acceptable.
Again I thank you for your comments.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

My daughter and I stayed in this hotel over the weekend of April 25-28, 2014 while we attended Stagecoach 2014. The overall upkeep and maintenance of the hotel is generally lacking. Peeling paint, rugged parking lot, etc. leave a traveler feeling that the hotel is very run down. Door to the room could use some new weather stripping - lots of light coming thru at the sides. The locks felt a bit flimsy. The room was clean and the basic necessities were provided. The beds are very hard - which I know some folks like but left me with a sore back. They provide plenty of pillows though which is nice since some hotels skimp on pillows. The pillows were of decent quality as well. The hotel staff were friendly and quick. Our blackout curtain came down from the ceiling and the maintenance staff were there within a few hours to repair the curtain. Water pressure in the shower was adequate and the hot water heats up quickly. AC/Heater unit worked wonderfully and wasn't too loud. (In fact, it probably helped drown out some of the noises from other patrons.) Would have been nice to have a small microwave to go along with the fridge but no complaints about the lack of microwave overall. I didn't use the pool so I cannot comment on that. Noise between rooms on the same floor is minimal. Noise from patrons in the rooms overhead was loud. (Were they practicing their line dancing?) There is a Carrows restaurant right next door (that provided VERY SLOW service). The hotel does not have a restaurant but they do provide a "delivery" menu for various restaurants that deliver for a fee to the hotel. The restaurants that deliver seem to be a wide variety so that's nice. I suppose I expected a bit more from a Palm Springs hotel but the price just couldn't be beat for hotels over the Stagecoach weekend. Hotel was about 20-30 minutes from the venue depending on traffic.

Room Tip: Probably best to ask for an upper floor room if you are strong enough to haul your belongings upstai...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Leenie1965
Art F, General Manager at Quality Inn Palm Springs, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review. We do appreciate your comments. We are in the process of working on the outside of the building as we do know this is an older property.

We do hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

Overall I think the most impressive part of this hotel is the staff. They were all extremely friendly and accommodating to me when I called ahead of time with questions, when I arrived to check in, and when I called the front desk from my room. The staff deserves high praise! Seriously, I've been in "nicer" hotels and treated like I'm invisible, but the staff here at this hotel were all fantastic.

The hotel itself needs some renovating. It's decent and gets the job done but the wear and tear is very apparent. Our door was a bit warped and made a loud noise when opening and closing, there were cracks in the walls/ceilings, the furniture is dated, etc... Another issue was that our toilet and bathroom sink was slightly clogged (it worked so I didn't bother calling maintenance) but it definitely needed attention and I'm surprised that the cleaning staff didn't at least notice the sink.

The view of the mountains are really nice and there is a Carrows restaurant in the same parking lot which had good food and service. The hotel is closely located to downtown and about 20ish minutes from Indio... for Coachella! I'll probably try to find a hotel closer to Coachella next year but if that fails then this is my official backup!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Alex W
Art F, General Manager at Quality Inn Palm Springs, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

First I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review. I would especially like to thank you for your kind words concerning our staff. I will pass this review along to them. We do know our property is a bit dated and are in the process of doing some renovations.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

The only thing that is preventing me to give a higher rating is the physical condition of the buildings (needs repainting on the outside and the caulking on the bathtub needs replacing, among others).
The saving grace of this Inn are the staff and the location. After checking out and was having breakfast at Billy Reed's (was just trying to avoid the Carrow's beside Quality Inn), I got a call from the staff telling me that they found my friend's wallet. So, we drove back and picked it up and was very grateful to them. I can overlook the faults as long as I feel safe with the staff.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank leather_panda
Art F, General Manager at Quality Inn Palm Springs, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Thank you very much for your comments. We have just started to do upgrades and hopefully you will notice it on your next visit. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

We do recommend the Quality Inn Palm Springs. We have a nice 4 night stay there with our Dachshund!!!! She loved the grassy park area on the Inn's west side.

The pool was the high point! Very clean, very well maintained, good temperature, great lounges!!!! Highly compliment the maintenance staff.

The Inn could really be nice with some redecorating and paint everywhere, new furniture and even some new doors and trim. The Inn could go either way... get a lot nicer or a lot worse..... the pool and landscaping are nice.

We still recommend the Inn,,, nice an helpful staff, good parking, quiet rooms

Room Tip: Ask if there are newer nicer rooms... The dog rooms are a bit worn, but were definitely clean
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Art F, General Manager at Quality Inn Palm Springs, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We do hear you and are in the process of doing some upgrades to the property. We do hope to see you again soon.

Again thank you.