“Good hike with easy street parking.”
Review of South Lykken Trail

South Lykken Trail
Ranked #21 of 118 things to do in Palm Springs
More attraction details
Owner description: The creosote bush is one of the interesting desert plants to find as you explore this part of the California desert.
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We found this trail in one of our hiking books and were surprised with how convenient it was. Easy and accessible street parking and a nice gentle uphill climb that affords you great views of the area.

2  Thank SARChicago

Reviewed 24 January 2014

This is another climb with a great view of the Coachella Valley. With all the hiking I have done in Palm Springs I have missed this one. The trail head is at the end of Mesquite Avenue and easy to reach. However there is no parking so I just biked over.The elevation gain allows for a good workout and the higher you climb, the more amazing the adventure and views. At one point you are directly above the Tahquitz Canyon and trail. One can see the vegetation and the stream of water flowing even with the severe drought. Having gotten a late start, I only got to the first set of picnic tables for a quick rest and some lunch. The chip monks playing there were quite amusing and provided a great side show! Even at a pretty leisurely pace, it still only took 2 hours up and back including lunch. Next time I will allow the time to continue to the second set of picnic tables and to the end at South Palm Canyon Drive!! Bring supplies!

Reviewed 22 January 2014

We parked on the street across from the little RV park and walked west to start the trail. 1.6 miles to the picnic tables with about 1000 feet elevation gain. Nice views at the top.

Reviewed 15 January 2014

Trail was good, not marked everywhere, but a nice 2.5 hour upward walk to the top of the hill to view the entire valley. A bit rocky and steep in spots and uphill trekkers should heed the right of way to downhill hikers. Narrow points on trail don't always allow that, but if you plan your steps when lots of folks are out, there are spots to wait. Unfortunately, for me, the dust and plants on the trail got to me and I sneezed almost the whole way up and down. Not sure what it was, but I was stuffy for two days following a Thursday hike. Lovely weather, lovely post on the rocks at top for a quick lunch bite, but with a runny nose, it spoiled the effects of the hike. I'd say it's a moderate hike and for a beginner, a very good introduction to the beauty of the Coachella Valley.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

The South Lykken Trail is an interesting trail with great views of the valley all the way to the top. It took us about an hour to get to the picnic tables and about 40 mins to come back down. Park on the street and walk to the trailhead as you have to pay to park at the visitor center. The trail is all up hill but not that difficult. The heat and sun are the two things you must be prepared for.

We will do it again on our next trip to Palm Springs.

1  Thank AKPROG