“Distinctly average - check no conventions are happening....”

Renaissance Palm Springs Hotel
Ranked #24 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
London, United Kingdom
“Distinctly average - check no conventions are happening....”
Reviewed 27 August 2010

Upon arrival the lobby was impressive, however was greeted with a lot of salsa music and dancing all over the hotel. Upon check in I was informed that there was a Salsa convention going on, and they were everywhere. No arrangements had been made for non-salsa guests and so had to put up with the pool party (and noise) all of Saturday. This for me was a big let down as I had wanted to relax after a few hectic days in Vegas.

Rooms are on five levels, and there are only three lifts to service the maze of corridors and rooms on each level. It often felt on Saturday that you were in the Americal Idol hotel for the Hollywood episode, as everywhere you walked there were children and adults practising Salsa.

Rooms were ok, but housekeeping could do a better job at making sure rooms were throughly cleaned - bins not being emptied and dirty q tips from a previous stay had not been removed - a bit gross.

On Sunday, the salsa convention had closed and it was like being in a different hotel, nice and calm, superb and very warm pool. Make sure you make a bee line for Marilyn in the bar area she was the most friendliest member of staff in the whole place, and if it had not been for her, our stay would have been miserable.

Wont be staying here again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (471)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 13 August 2010

Hotel has all the necessities and some of the luxuries. It's near downtown Palm Springs and the Convention Center -- although you don't really have to leave the hotel if you don't want to. Stayed in a suite room overlooking the pool. Balcony was a lovely bonus; a great place to sit at night or early morning. Suite room was big; bed was great.

We were there during the week so hotel seemed mostly empty; this probably helped us get a great rate and made for nice hours around the pool as there were never crowds or too much noise. But probably because there weren't many people, the service was a bit spotty. The restaurant was open only for breakfast; food was served in the bar all day, but the menu was limited and service was slow.

Few oddities keep me from giving this hotel 5 stars. In a suite room as big as this one, I really expected a refrigerator at least. A fridge and microwave would be even better. Also we could find no literature in the room that told about the hotel or the area -- the "black book" you find in most hotel rooms. When we asked at the desk, they told us they would send up a book but it never came. And menu for the restaurant and room service was very limited.

Still, I would very much recommend this hotel. Everyone we met went out of their way to be friendly and helpful. Hotel was clean and very quiet -- I never heard anything from rooms on either side of us although I know they were occupied.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
RPSManagement, Manager at Renaissance Palm Springs Hotel, responded to this review, 30 August 2010
We appreciate your taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel; it is through such feedback that we continually improve our services.

Our apologies for the slow food service; as you indicated our restaurant is closed for lunch and dinner at such low occupancy periods and we serve out of our lounge. Also, the black book you referenced is currently out as we are in the midst of a reprint and one will be available at your next visit.

Thank you again and we do look forward to being of service in the very near future.
San Diego, California
Reviewed 10 August 2010

We just returned from three nights at the Palm Springs Renaissance Hotel. By reserving our room four weeks in advance, we got the fantastic rate of $67/night. Even if we had just walked in the door without a reservation, the rate would have been no higher than $89. We had a junior suite on the fourth floor overlooking the pool area. Our suite had a small refrigerator and free e-mail service. Because we are Gold members of the Marriott program, we also received free parking and free anything you desire breakfast. The hotel was crowded and it was a bit difficult finding a comfortable place to hang out near the pool. There were tons of children around. But from noon Sunday until we left at 2:00 PM Monday, the hotel was empty and we had the pool to ourselves.
The employees here are so genuinely warm and friendly - just like we had known them for years (thank you Mark). Food at the Date Restaurant was excellent although a bit on the pricey side. My only minor complaint is the noise the a/c system makes when it turns on and off; it would frequently wake me up. Also, the walls are not well insulated and it's easy to hear conversation in the adjoining suites. All in all, we love this hotel and would not consider staying anywhere else when we're in Palm Springs.

Boston, MA
Reviewed 5 August 2010

We just returned from a visit to the Renaissance Palm Springs and I was so disappointed with the complete lack of service at this hotel.

Like the previous reviewer, I had stayed at the hotel when it was a Wyndham hotel and could not believe this was the same property. The lobby is beautiful, the rooms are spacious and also beautiful and the pool area is nice for a Palm Springs hotel. Not the caliber of the Renaissance in Palm Desert, but simple and nice.

Having said that, the hotel did not have anyone working outside on food and beverage service. We stayed on a Tuesday night so the hotel was empty, but not a reason to not have anyone working by the pool. Everyone had to get out of the pool, get dressed and go into the hotels lobby bar to get a drink and order food! Once you were in the lobby bar it was still hard to order a drink. I sat with my two kids and mother at a table close to the bar to order soda's and appetizers during their happy hour. We were able to order some appetizers fairly quickly but were still looking over the menu. The bartender never came back to take our drink order or the rest of the appetizer order and by the time the food that we ordered did come (about 30 minutes later) we were ready to leave. We never were able to order any drinks! If the bar was busy I could understand, but there were only a few other people in the bar area. I should mention that the food was very good and some of the small plates were 1/2 off during happy hour making them a great value if you are luckily enough to place an order.

I rarely complain to management but as a loyal Marriott customer I was so surprised by the complete lack of service at this hotel. I expressed my concerns to the manager on duty Paul Ibbara. He seemed interested in what I was telling him and then said he would walk to the bar with me to assist us. I showed him where we were seated and I assumed he was going to go over to the bartender to sort this out. To my surprise he disappeared and never returned! Maybe he hears this a lot and just blew it off. I'm not sure but that disappointed me ever more. The front desk staff was very nice, other than that the hotel needs to revamp its staff starting with the management.

This is a lovely hotel to stay at to be close to downtown Palm Springs if you are not there to relax at the pool and hang out at the hotel. If you are looking to relax and hang out by the pool, stay in Palm Desert at the Esmeralda. In all the years I have been staying at that hotel, we have never been disappointed.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Los Angeles
Reviewed 2 August 2010

I had not been to the hotel since it was a Wyndham, and could not believe what a great job they did on the physical aspect of the property. Everything has changed...the rooms are beautiful with comfortable beds, the hallways are fresh with a kind of playfull design, the entire hotel feels different, which was badly needed. Having said that, it needs to also be noted that the service is just not up to par with what you would expect from a hotel of this caliber. Specifically the pool service on Saturday was frantic to say the least, and when you went into the bar, there were lines of people who were frustrated as well. After waiting for a server to come by, I saw a person who clearly worked at the hotel and asked him if he was doing pool service. He quickly said "no!" and rushed by. The pool food menu is poorly designed and lacks a decent selection of items, which also took away from the experience. In fact the menu was printed on a plain sheet of paper which had been photo copied. In addition I also saw stains on the hallway carpets which is a shame since it is such a simple fix. These issues have been noted on past reviews so it would seem someone is not paying attention. I trust that the leadership group recognizes that because they finally have a beautiful hotel, there are still blanks that need to be filled in. I will personally promote the hotel to anyone who is thinking about visiting Palm Springs, and I will be curious on my next visit to see what improvements have been made. All in all, even with these rough spots, it's a great addition!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank David52555
Solana Beach, California
Reviewed 14 July 2010

Excellent staff and service. Very friendly and helpful at all times.
Staff seemed limited and stretched given size of facility and number of guests. Service at pool was limited. Large group of people being served by only a couple of hotel staff members, resuling in long waits for food and or drinks.
Room was in good overall condition and well appointed. Missing wall paper on wall and moderate stains in carpet. Air conditioning worked well and automated, but loud enough to wake us up through night.
Only one restaurant/coffee shop had very short menu. Breakfast was limited and buffet was small. Food was good however and limited staff worked hard to provide good service.
Overall, hotel appeared dirty in many areas. Beautiful tile floors had drink stains, dropped food, etc. in many places and no hotel staff appearing concerned to clean it up.
We liked the location, pool, cabanas, room best. We thought they need to work harder at keeping the hotel clean and maintained. We were there during the summer slow season (busy on weekends and with large groups, but slow during week days), which probably results in lower staff level, but they still need to keep hotel clean and in good shape. The hotel was a good value for the costs. It would be really nice if they had a better restaurant on site or even a better more extensive menu at the restaurant they do have.
The hotel had a mixed crowd on the weekend, with some couples/singles and families with kids. The pool was very crowded on Saturday, but manageable. Very close to downtown Palm Springs and in reasonably close distance to all of the other cities, golf courses, etc. in area.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
RPSManagement, Manager at Renaissance Palm Springs Hotel, responded to this review, 18 July 2010
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel recently; we value such input as it helps us continue to improve our service. Our apologies for the wait for pool service, as you indicated it was very busy and we should have had more staff on hand to meet the needs of our guests.

Also, thank you for the kind comments regarding the efforts and friendliness of our staff, I will be sure to share with them.

Thank you again and we look forward to being of service again in the very near future.
Juaners
Reviewed 6 July 2010

We were there this past weekend and we enjoyed our stay so much. After staying at the ghetto infested Hilton the night before, this was a welcome surprise.
My room was ready early and we had a view of the pool. The hotel is fairly big and clean. Our room was excellent, we had a living room area and balcony.
The prices at the hotel were extremely reasonable.
My only complaint to the Hotel manager, is that the A/C is not cold enough to deal with the July heat.
I would certainly stay here again. The bartender, Leo was great and attentive and the lady who checked us in, was awesome too.
We really enjoyed our stay and I would certainly return again.
The hotel is walkable to Palm Canyon and there's a free shuttle to take you to the main drag.

Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple