“What a let down!!!!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Santa Monica, California
“What a let down!!!!”
Reviewed 15 March 2012

Having stayed here last year and thought what a great place, chose posh again to bring my mum who is over from the UK. I could not believe how a place could deteriorate in 6 months!!
Our room was filthy! Dirty blinds, tables, mirrors and pictures, and fridge! Bedding all crimpled ad if slept in previously! Blood pn pillow shams! Yuck! The wondows were so dirty it looked like it was foggy outside! Shower broken, as was 6 months ago!
Firniture and kitchen shabby and needed renovation. We confronted susie who had the worst attitude and sermed very stressed, and lacked professionalism. We said we were not prepared to stay in the room to which she replied " well dont then" and didnt seem to care whether we stayed or not!
We chose to leave at that point! Never again! And will definitely not be recommending to others anymore!

• Stayed March 2012
3 Thank ukgirl33052
susanantal, Owner at POSH Palm Springs Inn, responded to this review, 18 March 2012
I don't even know how to respond to this review other than to say this guest stayed with us about six months ago and was lovely. This time she brought her "MUM" from England who is the rudest person I have ever come across since opening this business. There was no pleasing her anyway or anyhow. She arrived angry and it went downhill from there. I am not going to address all these petty issues, but simply to say that our hotel is still as nice and wonderful as it was when she was here last.
As far as the windows being dirty on the outside she is absolutly correct. If anyone has been following the weather here in Palm Springs over the last 2 weeks we have had huge sandstorms that have been playing havoc on our windows and floors. Had she addressed this with me instead of being so beligerent I could have told her this. I would never tell a guest "Well then go! I did try and speak to her professionally but she would not let up. I had to ask her to leave.

Learned this a long time ago... Can't please them all no matter how hard you try.
Suzy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Ventura, California
Reviewed 11 March 2012

Posh Palm Springs was my first experience at a boutique style privately owned hotel. It has a very "designer" feel in that every detail has been thoughtfully carried out by the owners/proprietors, who greeted us upon arrival with a glass of wine. The food was excellent, varied, and plentiful. It has a very private, personal atmosphere with stylish Art Deco decor. The ultimate luxury. I loved it! Thank you for a great weekend getaway!!!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sherry C
Reston, Virginia
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I'm really not sure what the hype is all about, I went through many reviews for this place and other hotels in Palm Springs and finally booked this one, but i have to say i was thoroughly disappointed. Yelp and Tripadvisor both have been on the spot about most places , but this one is totally off- i almost feel like they got their friends to write reviews for them. From the time that you pull up to the front door and step into your room - nothing about this place is "posh" or "luxury". This place is in a residential locality - there are no parking signs, lucky for us the folks from the neighboring building told us where to park, else we'd be towed. The room that i booked was # 2 on their website : http://www.poshpalmspr... . It is one of the smallest room's i've ever seen. I'm not a very demanding traveler- I'm more than accommodating usually and i travel quite a bit for work so i've run into my fair share of bad places too. Also, I'm not a big person - i'm about 6'1 and my girlfriend is about 5'8 and we both felt like we were in Gulliver's travels. If i moved left - i knocked something over, if i moved right - i was elbowing her - that's how small this room is. It is trick photography at its best so be careful. The room's didn't exude luxury or anything close to it. There are also no expansive views of the mountain - sorry but all you can see are light poles and wires from the pool area as well. So much so - my girlfriend was beginning to feel claustrophobic by late evening. We both barely slept that night, since we planned this trip for months and i was furious as to how they are ripping us off. In the morning i went upto the owners and told them - the room is overpriced and that we are not happy with the way things are and we'd like to leave. I was told that the price is correct and "where else would i go"? That kind of attitude is certainly uncalled for, I gladly left and I felt like they didn't really care if their customer's left - since the room for one night was already charged. I don't have an issue with the money but its the principle of it - if you are a small business I would imagine you would be far more friendly and helpful to your customers. We checked out as soon we were done - or i should say got the hell out this place - its a horrendous experience that i hope other folks dont experience. Don't waste your hard earned money at this dump, its a complete rip-off.

Room Tip: Don't waste your money here - there are far more affordable options in Palm springs.
12 Thank prabhu b
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 15 February 2012

I had booked a place far out of town and found POSH when I corrected my error. This was our first trip to Palm Springs and as a result of our stay not likely our last. The breakfasts were fantastic. The hosts, Susan and Jeff, were personable and very helpful. The extras, bottled water, M and Ms, and nuts don't seem like much but we found them very tasty when we could finally eat again later in the day! The sleeping arrangements (bed) were wonderful. I would receommend POSH.

1 Thank edub33
Los Angeles
Reviewed 7 February 2012

Unfortunately, our experience was not as posh as we expected it to be. I do believe you get what you pay for, and we payed full price for our 2-night stay, and $75 for the honeymoon add-on. We didn't think our experience was worth that. We have traveled somewhat within the USA and around the world and so we have experience with hotels/apartments/inns away from home. We were here to celebrate our 10-year wedding anniversary sans kids.

We arrived Friday late afternoon just in time for happy hour. We didn't know Jeff was the owner's son when he welcomed us in because he looked like a maintenance guy wearing a dirty t-shirt. He gave us a quick tour of the property and showed us our room. We really liked the orange splash all over the room and that's why my hubby chose that room. However, we were disappointed that there was no bathtub in our room, #4. I think bathtub and posh for a room go together.

We soon were over that as we had a nice happy hour experience with Jeff and his wife. Jeff had now put on a grey sweatshirt on, but now this one had pretend blood on it with some black lettering on it. By now, we knew that Jeff was the owner's son so it was shocking that he would not be more presentable for guests being that this is advertised as a luxury inn.

Fortunately, Jeff and his wife were very friendly during happy hour and they had some great recommendations for where to eat. We ate at two of the places they recommended during our 2-night stay, and they didn't disappoint.

The morning after our first night, my husband and I both woke up with achy backs. The mattress in that room is horrible. The second night we just couldn't sleep. My husband is not that delicate when it comes to sleeping and he had a difficult time so I use him as a threshold, and not me. My threshold is lower.

Also, I came home bruised around my knees because there is a metal bar that is the bed's footboard that because the room is so small, I kept running into it. It was very annoying and painful.

My hubby had ordered the honeymoon package for a dozen roses, a champagne bottle, and chocolate covered strawberries in our room upon arrival. They were there, the bottle, the six strawberries, but the dozen roses totally looked like whoever placed them on the vase had just taken the plastic around them from purchase and stuck them on their vase. It was a jungle of green leaves on the vase. There was nothing elegant about the arrangement, and this being a family-owned business you would think they would take more pride in how they do things. The floral arrangements on their website photos are luxurious, not the actual one in our room.

There were a lot of other things that were not working when we got there. One of the two shower heads in our shower was broken, the HBO and wi-fi were also off so we couldn't use them Friday night. On Saturday during breakfast, we brought it up to Suzy and Jeff and they had to turn-on their HBO button and reboot their wi-fi. The pool was not heated! That was a big disappoinment since the weather was perfect for the pool. I had to bring this up to Suzy's attention and so then they had to call pool service and had 3 men working on the pool while we were there. This was not posh to me since there was no privacy and some noise going on for a few hours due to this. We didn't get to enjoy the pool because even by the time of our check-out it hadn't warm up to 84 degrees. The shower head was replaced that day while we were out for lunch.

I also had the good luck to find a hair in my breakfast egg casserole. It was short and light
so it was def. Suzy's. I would not make mention of this, but there were just one too
many things that were wrong during our stay. Also, is there only 1 iron for the 11
rooms? Jeff had to knock on our door to get the iron for another guest. You would think
they have more than 1 iron so as not to have to bother guests for an iron.

Upon check-out I came up to Suzy to bring up the things that went wrong during
our stay & she was so defensive about the few things that I had a chance to bring up that
I think they would have been working upon arrival if only they had taken the time to do
a walk-through before the busy weekend. The wi-fi, HBO & pool were the only items she gave me a chance to bring up because she was so defensive. At least she credited us for the honeymoon package my hubby had purchased, and said I'm sorry to me at the end.

I would not recommend this place to any of my friends, and we would not return to stay
here. I truly don't know what the hype about this place is. Maybe, if we would have stayed
in a bigger room with a good mattress, a bathtub, and the pool was heated and there were not so many things not working, we would have had to rave about this place.

8 Thank TTITL
Takoma Park, Maryland
Reviewed 5 February 2012

My partner and I were so happy to have stumbled upon POSH, which I found by doing an online search while planning a 3-night, mid-week visit to Palm Springs. It's small - 10 rooms - all positioned around a private courtyard with a nice pool and spa - with kind of a relaxed, retro-chic appeal. The innkeepers, Suzy and her son Jeff, were just about as hospitable and welcoming as humanly possible, providing snacks and cocktails in the late afternoon and a wonderful full breakfast in the morning. It's an unpretentious, friendly place - so you don't feel like you're walking on egg shells - instead it's like you're with friends and family. Our room itself was very nice - clean, comfortable, well appointed with free snacks, free bottled water, plenty of towels, heavy robes, and other amenities you'd expect to find in a nice hotel. And the price was great. While tucked away in a quiet neighborhood, It's a short walk to downtown Palm Springs, a bonus since we spent one whole day without driving anywhere. Will definitely be back and would definitely recommend it to friends.

2 Thank ermiwe
susanantal, Owner at POSH Palm Springs Inn, responded to this review, 7 February 2012
Thank yoiu so much for your lovely review. We try very hard to please our guests and to provide a POSH experience for all. We hope to see you again in the near future.
Suzy Antal
Owner
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 4 February 2012

Been deliberating on writing this as I live by the motto that "if you don't have anything nice to say than don't say it at all." But after the way we were treated by this establishment and the fiasco I had to go through I feel it necessary to address.

My wife and I were visiting Palm Springs for the 1st time in late October of 2011. We were excited to take a road trip from Las Vegas to California and relax for the weekend. We did some research on the hotels in the area and came across Posh. It had great reviews and looked interesting so we went for it.

We wanted some extra space and reserved one of the Posh suites on Priceline.com. Everything with the booking went smooth and we received a confirmation for our suite via Email. On the morning of our check in date we departed for Palm Springs (about a 5 hour drive). At some point early in the afternoon a rep from Priceline called our house phone (hours after we had left for Palm Springs) and left a message stating: "The owner of Posh just let us know that your suite room is not available and they have one basic room left if you want it?"

Keep in mind this came in hours after we left and were on our way (on the day we were to check in). So we never got that call.

We pull up to the hotel (that looks more like a motel) in a quiet residential neighborhood and all the spaces are filled directly in front. So while my wife waits in the car parked illegally across the street I walk up and ring the doorbell. Guy answers (w/o a shirt and barefoot) and opens door. Checks me in, gives me key and walks me to my room. I am expecting a suite still. No mention of the room not being a suite. So I am a little shocked at how small the room is.

Spot finally opens for parking, park the car and my wife joins me in the room. The both of us notice that the room is NOT clean and covered in dust. The clock radio is not plugged in and when I squeeze behind bed to plug it into the one electrical outlet I find more dust and some candies on the floor (that look like Mike & Ike's). So room was not cleaned properly from previous guests. In addition the main door does not make a tight seal when shut all the way and there is a gap in-which light shines through and pests can crawl through at will. Sink at the kitchen is also clogged and bathroom door wont shut properly. Wife thought bathroom looked dingy. Was not a pleasant find after a long road trip. ((I have photos attached of this below))

So I am starting to get mad and I figure out that this tiny room is not the room we reserved on-line. I go back to the front office, shirtless guy says he is the owners son and calls his mother on the cordless phone to talk to me. Hands me the phone and owner Susan is sort of defensive, says that she had no suite rooms available and blames the error on Priceline. Almost speaking down at me says that my issue is not with her and call Priceline. She understands if I don't want the room etc.

So I call Priceline, the rep laughs when I tell them what the owner has said and they say that it is up to the managers / owners at the properties to update their inventory w/ Priceline (and similar websites). Says that this owner had the suite available and reserved it to me fairly. Also says she probably had someone arrive and offer more for the room or a guest extend their stay another night. Either way we get screwed and no suite for us!

So we decide to leave. After hours of calling around and finding no occupancy in town we are lucky enough to get a suite at The Riviera (beautiful property). The room is about $75 more a night. Priceline apologizes, agrees to honor the booking and reimburse us for the extra cost and we move hotels and try to save he weekend.

So we get home and I fill out all of Priceline.com's paperwork so I can get reimbursed for the extra cost to move hotels. It takes over three months to get the $150 sent to me. The issue according to Priceline management is that Posh is refusing to do the right thing and pay the extra costs associated w/ moving hotels. Priceline (Bookit.com) says they are ignoring their messages and finally sends payment from their own account. Money arrives four months after we visit palm Springs and after I have to call them 15+ times. Major hassle!

Overall a bad experience and ruined our first day in Palm Springs. Thankfully we saved it w/ nice stay at another hotel. I really don't see what all the hype is about and hope that this review saves other people from the hassle we went through.

Room Tip: Maybe call hem directly as they seem to give their own booking priority.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Bill K
I always want to take the professional high road when responding to a negative review. In the industry we all receive them time to time, however, this review is a travesty and I feel it needs to be addressed.
First and foremost, I would never favor our own bookings as you refer to them over a booking from a service such as PriceLine.com.
What you do not undestand is that we subscribe to these services and thus look forward to the bookings they provide. That being said, frequently we have overbookings that occur and according to our contractual agreements we must provide a like experience or provide alternate arrangments for the guest. In this case when you booked with them I Immediately informed them that we did not have the accomodations that you were looking for. Priceline told me that they had tried on several occasions to reach you via email and telphone to inform you of this to no avail.
Please understand that we as the hotel are not provided withcontact information and cannot reach you ourselves.

When you showed up to our facility we informed you of the situation and tried to provide you with a Kinfg bedroom and you did not want that. NO PROBLEM. When you became angry my son called me to handle it and I tried to facilitate the situation and you were not interested in what I had to say.

We understand how this can be dissapointing to a guest. I let you out of your reservation and since you had paid directly to Priceline for the deposit it requires me to arrange with them to return it to you.
I was upset that you went to a much more expensive hotel and Pricekline expected me to pay for the increase in room charge and for all of your travel expenses etc. I had a problem with them because I felt that they dropped the ball. This is between me and my guest service coordinator with Priceline.
I did in fact reimburse you and the situation was dropped. You did not stay at our hotel even for one night so I find it hard for you to critique me or my son or the facility since you were angry and here less than 5 mins. tops.
As I will always say, we cannot please everyone ALL the time although we would love to be able to do so. I thinkl as a guest you are much better suited to a large hotel experience as you ultimatley ended up doing. Incidently, we provide parking for 25 guests and we had 15 here at the time I am sorry that we did not have a space readily available for you when you arrived I don't understand this complaint.
Thank you for your input.
Suzy Antal