“Nice rooms”

Caliente Tropics Resort
Ranked #44 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
“Nice rooms”
Reviewed 25 December 2013

Nice rooms I had a good time here everyone made me feel like home Alicia was pleasant She did everything she could to keep our group the closest possible she managed to put our rooms next to each otherin a busy weekend Thank you caliente Tropics

• Stayed December 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Riverside, California
Reviewed 25 December 2013

My check in was fast and easy the girls at the front desk were friendly the rooms are great
i was able to park by my room
the fitness room was also a bonus
alicia was very helpful & I will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room downstairs
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Costa Mesa, California
Reviewed 25 December 2013

I've stayed at Caliente Tropics Resort four or five times now, and I always enjoy an escape to this comfortable, affordable and nostalgic retreat in the desert.

This is certainly not a high-end resort like The Venetian in Vegas, or even The Riviera a few miles away in Palm Springs. But there are plenty of reasons to stay here, including great rates, spacious, comfortable rooms, very cozy beds, attentive staff, a great hot tub and pool and a naturally beautiful setting that is off the beaten path a bit – and very close to the magical hiking and exploring that awaits in Indian Canyons.

The resort has a rich history, and it has managed to maintain its charming and quirky Polynesian/Tiki God-inspired ambiance over the years. They even recently added a nice weight room and gym, which looks right out onto Palm Canyon Drive, and are in the process of reviving the on-site restaurant and bar areas.

If you like to stock your hotel fridge with your own food, there are all kinds of places to shop within a few miles from the resort, including a World Market and Jensen's Finest Foods. There's also a great coffee shop called Koffi a few blocks from the resort, and a short walk down Palm Canyon Dr. in the other direction, there's a fantastic and historic English Pub + Restaurant called Lyons English Grill that offers great food and a charming, truly British setting. Hop in your car and drive that way a few more miles, and you'll be right in the heart of downtown Palm Springs, which is great, but can feel a bit crowded and busy, especially compared to this peaceful stretch of Palm Canyon Drive. If you want to order food into your room, they offer delivery service from a very good Italian restaurant called Cafe Palette.

There has been a changeover in management and staff since my last visit here, and it's a change for the better. Nicole and Alicia at the front desk were both also excellent; they were highly attentive, informative and helpful, and made checking in and out an easy process.

I've used their online booking feature off the resort's website several times, and never had an issue. They've also rewarded me for being a loyal guest with a free room upgrade once or twice – something you don't seem to see too much these days from an independent, boutique-style hotel. I even purchased a ticket to the incredible Palm Springs Aerial Tram experience this time around online. I'm excited to go see snow atop Mt. San Jacinto on Friday.

All in all, you'll be hard-pressed to find a better overall value than you will here. I'd highly recommend it, unless you're only satisfied with high-end luxury resorts and constant catering to your every need. If you're flexible and enjoy a unique vibe and great value...this is the place for you.

I know I'll be back soon.

Room Tip: The second-floor rooms overlooking the pool and hot tub area are great. Nice view of the mountains h...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Dylan B
Reviewed 25 December 2013

I recently checked into Caliente Tropics Resort as walking in to an historical hotel I figured just like other hotels I'd end up upset over customer service because Palm Springs hotels are let's just say all about "you need us attitude ". Instead I got smiles and customer service at its best!! I'm a guy who has to have the right room and Alicia and Nicole and the English gentlemen made my stay one of the best if not the best here in Palm Springs I got to say great work to you all the staff including the maids are extremely nice and customer service orientated. Alicia especially kudos you handle customers and give info that is value to the guest here I over heard her on a few guests and as a manager in customer service for over 10 years you'd be in management as far as I'm concerned. Thanks for all your accommodations.

• Stayed December 2013
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed 17 December 2013

i booked this room on priceline because me and some teammates needed a place to stay with a jacuzzi and comfortable beds being that we were in town for a toys for tots charity softball event. when i got there i approached the front desk for my check in but the room was not ready because my check in wasnt until 3 and i arrived at 1 (jumped the gun a little bit) however ALICIA was a life saver. She found us an available room and upgraded us for no additional cost. whenever we needed anything wether it be a pool towel or recommendations for restauraunts or night life they were all so eager to help. THANK YOU CALIENTE TROPICS STAFF I WILL ALWAYS REFER YOU GUYS TO MY FRIENDS!!!

Room Tip: tahitian rooms are very comfortable and refrigerator is a plus
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Hong Kong
Reviewed 12 December 2013

One of the cheapest accommodations in Palm Springs, but they cover the basics well.

pros:
- the air conditioning kept the room warm during the cold spell;
- the shower was high pressure and hot (but a fixed shower head and not a hose);
- the bed was comfortable;
- the receptionist was pleasant on arrival.

drawbacks:
- the floorboards from the room above creaked with every step;
- the remote control for the TV was sticky.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I stayed here 2 weeks ago and was really shocked at the conditions since the reviews here have mostly been great. I also just saw that there was another reviewer that posted a review about bed bugs, so that might have explained why my room smelled like a chemical plant. I think it was sprayed very intensely before I got there. Either that or the cleaning lady used very toxic cleaning chemicals (the carpet?). In any case, it was hard to sleep and I had a very bad cold when I was there. Even though it was chilly when I was there (in the evening), I left the door open to air it out on 2 nights since I couldn't handle the smell. When I checked out, there was the pest control guy giving the receipt to the receptionist, so I know he was there in other rooms. Anyway, if they are trying to get rid of bed bugs, they need to keep the rooms completely aired out before guests come in there!

Also, the mattress was such an inferior quality (very soft and lumpy), that I would never stay here again.

It seemed like such a good value when I booked, but now I know why. A good value is really only a good value if you get something of value at a good price. In this case, what I got (poor night of sleep, cold got worse) wasn't a good value at all!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo