“Wouldn't recommend this one!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Caliente Tropics Resort

Caliente Tropics Resort
Ranked #36 of 71 Hotels in Palm Springs
Nomansland, United Kingdom
“Wouldn't recommend this one!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

This accommodation is quite away from downtown Palm Springs. Definitely not in walking distance and probably not advisable to walk to downtown. Would not class this as an hotel, outside entrance doors and parking in front of property. Didn't feel comfortable about the security of the room straight on to the parking lot. Very disappointed with our stay here. Booked for three nights but left after just two. Room was dark,dingey and dated. Pool area wasn't particularly clean looking, busy and noisy, too family friendly! Residents with boom boxes in the pool area after 9pm. We had no hot water for showers on both mornings, even after letting staff know. Too hot in Palm Springs to not be able to take a good shower. Very disappointing visit. Relieved to leave!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Leanda61

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Santa Barbara, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

The room was clean, really big and well appointed. We really enjoyed our one night stay there after a long camping trip in JTree. The people were really nice and the pool and grounds were artfully done.

Room Tip: We stayed in 234 and it was quite and has a really spectacular view of the mountains.
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

I have traveled all around the world, stayed in all kind of places, from campgrounds, hostels, motels, hotels to fancy hotels, and this was frankly my worst experience of all. Congrats Caliente Tropics, you have managed to beat the 5$ or less hotels I stayed at in India!

The hotel itself is not that bad. Although in my view it's more of a "motel" and should be presented that way on their website. The pool is ok, location is ok, rooms - when functioning properly - are ok, and it would be a fair value for the price paid. But we had a technical problem with the toilet in our room, which totally ruined our stay at this hotel and in Palm Springs in general and the way the staff "took care of us" (#not) was the worst customer experience I have ever seen.

The toilet was not working properly from the moment we stepped in the room. When flushing it, it would always clug, without reason (it's not because we were putting too much toilet paper or because we were doing big #2s - sorry for language!).

I first told the front desk about this (there was also an issue about the sink, it was kind of blocked as well). We went to explore Palm Springs, and when we came back to our room, we saw nothing had been taken care of, both the sink and the toilet were in the same condition as when we left.

(Just to be sure you understand well how inconvenient not having a functioning toilet in our room was, our room was at one end of the huge parking lot, and the closest toilet was in their reception, which was at the other end - 5 minutes walk - Not exactly fun/safe, especially if you need to go at night)

We called the front desk again. They sent someone to fix it (that literally spoke no word of English). He fixed the sink and was working on the toilet for 10 mins. He left the room.

A couple of hours later (it was not 11pm), I had to use the toilet. When trying to flush it, it was clogged again. I call the front desk again (third time I need to tell them about this ridiculous toilet). They send another employee, she checks the toilet more closely, and inform us that it's not just a simple clogging problem (due to too much #2s or toilet paper), but a real problem, and that it can't be fix right now, late in the evening. If they had done their job properly and check the toilet properly when I had first told them in the morning, they could have called someone to fix it, but because they are useless incompetents, it was impossible to fix it right away (just to reiterate - this place is a motel. It's not like a hotel where you can sometimes get out of the room and use either a toilet on your floor, or take the elevator and go downstairs at the reception. For us to use the toilet, we had to get out, walk about 5 mins, and go to the reception area... which CLOSES after 2pm! Really convenient for us!).

So I ask them: what do we do now? That useless employee, instead of being intelligent and 1) either finding a solution herself or 2) calling her boss to find one, brightly told us 1. She could not transfer us to another room because they were all rented 2. She could not put us in another hotel at their expenses.

We were stuck there, with this situation. I quickly checked online, everything was either booked or really expensive, the only option close to our budget was in Indio (40 mins drive). We couldn't even drive because we had both drank alcohol.

When you manage a hotel business and something like this happens, there is not 484985 options. You need to, at your own expense, put the guests in a proper room in a nearby hotel. Having a toilet is a necessity, it's not as if it was something like a broken A/C.

Then, that employee SERIOUSLY told us: You could keep using the toilet during your stay, just don't try flushing it.

WHAT? you want 2 adults to do all their #1s and #2s in one toilet for 2 days and take care of it afterwards? This is SO gross. I can't even imagine the smell in the bathroom (where the shower is located) and also in the room.

I told her we would stay, because we couldn't afford any of the other hotels in Palm Springs and we could not drive to Indio. I told her I would need to speak with a manager about his (because that girl was apparently 1. Not able/allowed to take decisions herself 2. Too stupid to think of calling her boss about this) and that employee told me the boss would be there next morning.

Next morning, I try to call the frontdesk (from the room) to know if the boss is there. Surprise, surprise: they don't pick up the phone! Something tells me it's because they could see our room # and didn't feel like dealing with us.

I go to the front-desk myself. I ask the employee (a different employee): Can I see your boss? This is about the room without a functioning toilet. To my dismay, that employee was not aware of the situation. This means the genius we had spoken to the night before didn't think/bother to write a memo to the other employees about this. Good job Einsten.

I tell her about the situation, and tell her I need to see her boss ASAP to discuss what she would do about us. She tells me her boss is not there yet (it was 10am, on a week there. What?), she doesn't know when she'll be there (WHAT #2), she's in and out (WHAT? #3) and she usually comes in at noon (WHAT? #4).

Just to make sure you understand: if you go to this hotel and experience a problem like this, the regular employees will most likely not want to help you want/not be allowed to do so, they won't call their boss and the boss is apparently there "in and out" and it's not possible to know when she'll be there. In short: they don't want to deal with problems.

We never were able to speak to any boss/manager/owner/supervisor of any kind during all of our stay (2 days). The toilet remained full of #2s/#1s for the whole stay, with the odor you can imagine. They FINALLY, after harassing them on the phone, agreed to give us back 25% of what we had paid. 25% is a joke. We had no toilet + a terrible odor in our room 100% of the time of our stay. On top of that, the way the staff handled the situation was simply rude and unbelievably professional.

Also, another remark: I went to the fitness center, started to work out on the elliptical. It took me 10 seconds to realize that machine was totally broken down, but there was no warning or it (nor any employee in the fitness center who could have told me that it was broken before I got on it). It could have been dangerous if I would have stayed longer on it, the two things you push back and forth with your hands were so loose, it felt as it the whole thing was falling apart. That's a safety hazard! Someone could have gotten hurt. This was the first night. I told the staff about this, but by the second night, there was still no warning. I guess they aren't afraid of getting sued if someone hurts themselves in their gym.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Cynthia T
yorkshire UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

The Caliente Tropics Hotel is more of a motel than a hotel,it is slightly dated against other hotels in Palm Springs but for the price is quite adequate.
On arrival the reception area is nothing special but the reception staff are friendly and very efficient. Rooms are either allocated on the ground or first floor with easy parking. The rooms are large, clean but not luxuries. The hotel gardens are well kept with swimming pool to match.
If travelling by car this location is fine but if walking it is a bit off the main shops and restaurant scene. Don`t be put off this hotel it may be a little dated but it is adequate for a two or three night stay.

Room Tip: 1st floor rooms attract more light and sunshine.
1 Thank mrtenpercent
Azusa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

We were welcomed by Leo, who was very friendly and displayed exceptional professional demeanor. We compared several other motel/hotels, then returned to book with Leo. We were assigned to a very nice, clean room with two queen beds at poolside for a very good price of $75 @night. The facilities were all clean and well organized. Very quiet and peaceful even though there are over 200 rooms and several children from babies to teen agers' were present.
There are presently no restaurant or bar facilities: however they are planned for the future and there are Elmers, Cocos, Ihop, and several others within 15 minutes walking distance. People are warm and friendly and downtown area is within walking distance. We had a wonderful time and will return soon.;

Room Tip: All rooms are convenient to all facilities, quiet, well kept and easy parking.
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

This place was probably great 20 years ago? Now there is no music by the pool, the water misters don't work, no service at pool, restaurant has been closed for a long time. We still chilled at pool. At night there are flames, and tikis all over, so it's sort of cool. Rooms are ok, well used. Staff is nice enough, most seem very new at job. High turnover? They are nazis about the pool towels. All in all, 3 out of 5. For the money it was fine. I wanted it to be better and more fun though.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank salsa123
St. Louis MO
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

I traveled to the Palm Springs area to attend the BNP Paribas Open. None of the major mid-price hotel chains near the tournament had availability, so the options were pretty limited (ultra-high end or Motel 6/Super 8). Traveling solo and being my first time in the area, I thought a more boutique style hotel might be a better option.

First the positives:
The hotel has an easy-to-find location right on Palm Canyon Dr.
The pool area is attractively landscaped with charming tiki accents and seemed to be well-maintained, though I didn't actually have time to use it.
Parking near my room was easy to find.
I had a 2nd floor room in the Tahitian Lanai Building - the room was very large.
As a solo female traveler, I felt safe and secure staying at this property.

Now the negatives:
Upon check-in, I was informed that the water was shut off in my building and wasn't expected back on for another 30 min. Since I had to go pick up some snacks & sundries anyway, I figured I'd head down the street to the Ralph's grocery store, and by the time I got back, I assumed the water would be back on. But when I got back after about 40 min, the water was still off. I called the front desk and they said it would be another 1-2 hrs as they had to replace the hot water heater. So, I had to use the bathroom facilities in the main lobby building before heading over to the tennis tournament for the evening. I was worried that when I got back it still wouldn't be fixed, but thankfully when I returned, it was on. However, the next morning, it was clear that the temperature had been set too high on the new water heater - you couldn't get any cool water out of the sink faucet and the shower was uncomfortably hot. I informed the front desk and another couple apparently next door to me who were also in the lobby had the same complaint. When I returned to the room that night, the temperature setting had been adjusted. But the shower still was unable to maintain a consistent setting throughout my 3 night stay - you would get pulses of either very cold or very hot water.
My mini-fridge in the room didn't have a temperature dial (that I could find), and it was set too cold as it froze most of my bottled Diet Cokes.
When I checked in I was apprised of a resort fee (supposedly for use of the pool & fitness center), and I find these kind of fees highly annoying, especially since I had no plans to use any of those amenities. There was also a sign posted on the in-room safe saying that use of it (which I did use) would cost $1.50 per day. However, upon checkout, I was not charged any of these fees - not sure if that's because I pre-paid for my room thru Expedia (though they did have a credit card hold for incidentals) or if these nuisance fees were waived due to the inconvenience of the water problem - which I took as a fair trade.

In the end, I don't think I got the value for what I paid. Partly, this was of my own doing as I didn't take advantage of the pool/hot tub, which seems to be one of the resort's major marketing points. But the water problem really made me second guess my choice, and I don't appreciate that kind of stress on my vacation.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo