“Another Great Stay!”

Ranked #44 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
Sydney, Australia
“Another Great Stay!”
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

We visited the Caliente 18 months ago, and decided to stay again on our recent trip to Palm Springs. For the price, location and facilities it's hard to beat, but we were quite let down by our check-in welcome, which was really underwhelming and we felt like more of an inconvenience to the clerk on the desk rather than valued guests.
That small quibble aside, our stay was fantastic. We spent 2 nights in a lower floor room, which was spotless and well kept. The pool and hot tub is amazing, and a great way to relax after a day in the desert.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
Palm Springs, California
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I went with my family at caliente tropics for first time and everybody enjoy it!!! This hotel have a lots of complains but i dont know if was the costumer service with simon was an Austrian guy , but we really enjoy The hotel, the pool was heated and with kids thats A + , my brother was happy with the gym... Of course that in our next palm spring trip, this hotel going to be our firts option ...

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We got a great price late (at 8:30 pm on Priceline) when we found ourselves with an unplanned stay in PS when a realtor extended a meeting to the following day. I once lived in PS and was familiar with most of the businesses on Hwy 111, so when Priceline gave me an “Express Deal,” 2.5 star hotel, which you do not know the name of until you pay for it, then I was a bit suspicious when I got the confirmation that showed the old A-framed structure that I’ve passed for years since the ‘70s.
However, I was absolutely surprised at the high quality of the re-decorated room. The beds and multiple pillow choices (I used the feather pillow) made it a special treat, when so many hotels have one kind of overused flat or hard pillows. Not here. It was the best night of sleep I have had in days. I liked the décor, although others seem to call it dated, it isn’t. There are few hotels that I will walk barefoot on the carpet. I’m a germaphobic person. But this was so clean I felt like I was at home and walked barefoot.
The pool, though I did not use it, looked inviting, but since this stay was not planned, we had no swim ware. I liked the flaming torches at the pool, nice lighting and secluded. There were no bugs in the room or the bedding. There was a gym for working out, but I did not use that either.
My only complaint was that the water in the shower switched from hot to cold without warning, sort of like when someone flushes a toilet in a house, but other than that, it was so good that I will return. Quite frankly, I would recommend it and I would pay a higher price, since I know what I am getting next time.
Oh, others complain about the staff. I had no problem. A young man was on duty when I checked in, who went out of his way to locate a room on the top floor, since I am a light sleeper (and Priceline purchasers do not normally get choices like that), so I commend him for accommodating my request. The next morning, when I checked out, a young lady was on duty. All I found was politeness, so I don’t know where these people were who complained of a rude staff. Maybe this is a newly hired staff, but they were polite. That is my experience.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Larry S
Hemet, California
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I've worked at several Hotels here in PS...This property is about the same as ones I've worked in...Clean enough...nothing real special....no real amenities...Does have a coffee pot and mini frig...No Breakfast...OK swimming pool....Great place for the night...wouldn't recommend it to snowbirds or long term guests...Great for a quick weekend or a place to stay if your looking for a low-cost motel in a good location...

Room Tip: We are staying in a HC room....and it is better than many we have stayed in.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sandymccluskey1953
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I had to make last minute arrangements for a business trip to Palm Springs. I usually stay at another hotel when I visit but it was too expensive. I found a cost effective alternative at Caliente Tropics. What substantiates their 5 star rating is the high quality customer service, primarily provided by Caroline at the front desk. I also had a very pleasant interaction with Luz. Ultimately, I have found a new place to stay when I visit Palm Springs. Thank you Caroline and Luz for your hospitality.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We made a one night stay here with the kids. Great pool - bigger than average compared with the other places we stayed on this US trip. Nice room with comfy beds, big shower, fridge etc. A/C unit noisy and the bin truck came at the crack of dawn, but otherwise all quiet and good.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank FredFII
Canada
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We stayed 1 night, therefore, harder to rate. We experienced a quiet clean room. We enjoyed the pool and hot tub with a nice drink in hand (not glass of course). Not really walking distance to downtown, but we had a car. Adequate parking included. No breakfast included. Overall, good hotel for the price! I would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple