“My sisters and I took Mom here for her 50th, and 50 is definitely FABULOUS at the Parker!!”

Parker Palm Springs
Ranked #31 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
Costa Mesa, California
Reviewed 21 December 2010

The Parker Palm Springs was a wonderful place for my sisters and I to take our Mom for her 50th birthday! The rooms are so spacious, beds super comfortable, service was fantastic (we LOVE Caesar!). Everyone made us feel so special and cared for.

I especially loved the Retro decor (by one of my favorites Johnathan Adler). It is a unique experience and a great place for a quick getaway from Orange County. If you go, be sure to try a Muddled Lemon from the Lemonade stand at the pool :)

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
Los Angeles
Reviewed 21 December 2010

I hadn't anticipated the Parker being so charming and all-nurturing, but trust me, I'd stay again without feeling any obligation to leave the grounds...beautifully manicured, curated grounds with just enough space for quiet, lose-yourself time, but just intimate enough to feel familiar.
The service is excellent (say Hello to Cesar, the bellman...he may even give you a hug, in a totally platonic, hopelessly charming way); the Adler design throughout is as special as you'd hope for...elegant, funky, current-without-being-trendy; the food is great, especially Norma's; the in-room products are, well, truly inspired...not just one brand (first surprise), but several...and all very, very luxe (Bulgari lotion, for heaven's sake!); you'll find a sense of humour in the most unexpected and refreshing ways; and if you keep your eyes open (or just check their site), deals are to be had at this jewel.
The Parker Palm Springs hits all the right notes...once or twice leave the grounds for some local food (do NOT miss Cheeky's...there are cute, cool, tasty brunch spots, and then there is Cheeky's); otherwise, chill out and unwind at this desert find.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 December 2010

Parker Palm Springs – OFF THE TABLE

My stance to avoid writing negative reviews is tempered by the occasions I consider it necessary to make a need-to-know advisory. It seems some managers like to test my resolve on avoiding negative reviews and feel they can get away with rubbish service and/or negligence in the management of their property, restaurant or spa. Parker Palm Springs is my case in point in this instance. Through their loyalty program, they have information on my severe feather allergy and although every other hotel I have stayed at in the chain has made sure that my allergy issues were dealt with before my arrival, this hotel claimed to have no prior knowledge of my feather allergies prior to my arrival, when I advised them at check-in.

I was assured that the matter would be attended to, although they claimed they had no idea I had a potentially life threatening allergy. After visiting the room, I returned back to the front desk to double check and reinforce the seriousness of my allergies. Having been assured all that all was in order, I retired. The next day I woke up with enough symptoms to be sure that there were feathers somewhere in that room.

I made my way back to the concierge before breakfast who managed to get the attention of two senior housekeepers to assure me that that they would go over the room with a finetooth comb and get all offending feathers out of the room. The result: after spending the day and $1000.00 in the Palm Springs Yacht Club (the hotel’s spa) I returned to the room to find that the light duvets had been changed to blankets and more featherless pillows had been placed on the bed (which seemed hopeful).

In the corner, however, there were two cushions that had been there since check-in and which then and there the friend who was with me bet me contained feathers. Being an ardent fan and defender of the Starwood brands I bet that there was NO WAY after the fuss I had made that those cushions contained feathers. Bet made, he proceeded to make a small incision into the interior of the cushion and much to my surprise, dismay and anger began withdrawing feathers – and not the faux non-allergenic ones. We threw the cushions out on to the hammock on the patio.

My complaint and anger was met with the rather absurd assertion by General Manager Thomas Meding that the hotel always puts the health and safety of its guests as its first priority and that his staff acted immediately and effectively in dealing with my concerns (um, yeah, except they didn’t, not just once, or twice, but thrice times - but you all know that by now).

Pursuing the matter further in New York I was surprised to find that Thomas Meding’s manager was just around the corner from the W on Lexington at the Le Parker Meridien in Midtown Manhattan, what luck: VP Steve Pipes. So, I sent him my original complaint and a copy of the ridiculous emails sent by the GM out in Palm Springs and my responses. To date: no response from Mr. Pipes. Now in fairness he hasn’t tried to “reach out to me” (a favorite Starwood Group ‘power’ phrase) but I do know that he read my emails as I received mail received and read confirmations. Perhaps he is on holiday. Or perhaps he, like Mr Meding, only pays lip service to guests and doesn’t really give a damn. Or maybe this is Parker and Le Parker protocol for awkward complaints. I have of course saved his confirmed receipt of my message while I think about what action to take next.

One of my attorneys (I have a few) has suggested that I litigate and to be honest I might try to “reach out” to the Senior VP responsible for the Parkers and the W either that or have my attorney do it. As for The Viscount’s Table give the Parker (whether New York or Palm Springs) a miss. Definitely not worthy of my table and frankly I feel that my readers need to know this. Avoid both hotels. Such a shame too, as the wonderful Norma’s breakfasts at both locations, and Mister Parkers in Palm Springs, were going to get fabulous reviews from me. But it isn’t worth visiting these hotels if it only serves to encourage the uncaring and alarmingly bad client relations that from what I can see so far are acceptable to their own VP. As I can’t assure you that they will look after you to the level one expects of The Viscount’s Table they are on my list of places to avoid – sad because you also miss the wonderful Jonathan Adler design in the Palm Springs location. Ah well, lots of great places to stay all over the world without having to put up with uncaring and careless, if not down right negligent, service.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank VPVonHoehen
Pleasant Hill, California
Reviewed 13 December 2010

This hotel has great style, nice service, and a lot of fabulous touches. The staff we ran into were all very helpful and well-trained. Their target audience seems to be people who don't notice or don't care what anything costs, though. You'll pay top dollar for everything and they seem to have studied profit centers carefully. Food and beverage prices are breathtaking. No in-room coffee; I saw a lot of people going off the grounds to Starbucks. Upcharges on Sunday newspapers. And is $30 a new record for a "resort fee" (that doesn't show up on either the Starwood or Parker web site)? Our low-end "Estate Room" was nice but had the old TV and the bathroom was a bit cramped.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Miami
Reviewed 13 December 2010

This was my first stay at the Parker, and I loved it! Check in was quick and easy, and because of my Platinum Status with Starwood, I was upgraded to a suite. Once I check in I took walk around the grounds, which are gorgeous. There are two pools, one which is adults only. The daytime restaurant is Norma's, and the food is absolutely amazing. One of the best breakfasts I've had ANYWHERE! The night time restaurant is called Mister Parker, and this place is truly sexy. It's very dimly lit, and has a very old school feel. The food was excellent, and was the service.
I'd highly recommend the Parker.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 6 December 2010

It was a very unique experience traveling to Palm Springs and just finding the Parker as one of my favorite places to stay.
After going there I felt like I was inside of a piece by David Hockney, the ambiance, decoration and staff really made me feel as a very unique person.
I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
ParkerGM, General Manager at Parker Palm Springs, responded to this review, 13 December 2010
Fabulous that you enjpyed your stay with us so much and thank you for sharing your love for us with the rest of the world. I have shared your feedback with the team and we are all excited to have you coming back. when and if you do, please send me a quick e-mail.

I am looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Thomas A. Meding
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 27 November 2010

The grounds of the Parker were beautiful, and provided a very secluded and private feeling. But the rooms, in my opinion, left much to be desired. At the rate of $395/night, I would have expected some simple things: a flat screen TV, tub in the bathroom, sofa or comfortable chairs, writing desk. You're definitely paying for the scene and trendiness.

The hotel is definitely beautiful and worth a stay, but not at this price.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank sfmattyb
Thank you for your comments. it is feedback such as yours that assists us in enhancing the overall guest experience. I appreciate your comments about our grounds and the overall atmosphere. Regarding our rates, i understand that they seem high during certain periods, however, we also offer fabulous deals. If you are interested in our DEALS, please go to our DEALS tab and add your name to the subscriber list.

Please let me know when and if you are planning on coming back, so that I can ensure that you are receiving the ususal Happy Chic welcome we are known for.

Thomas A. Meding
#35 of 73 in Palm Springs
Ace Hotel and Swim Club
Ace Hotel and Swim Club
#16 of 73 in Palm Springs

Been to Parker Palm Springs? Share your experiences!