“So much potential!”

Santiago Resort
Los Angeles, California, United States
“So much potential!”
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I've been coming to Palm Springs for almost 10 years and about 4-6 times in a calendar year. Historically I have stayed at Warm Sands Villas however recently they sold to a straight couple and their service went South. In December I visited Santiago and had a great experience and visited again one month later and had a great experience. However this last experience was not so pleasant. I had 3 guests visiting from out of state and had originally booked 2 nights. However, due to an unforeseen car issue, my guest and I needed to stay one extra night. Mark who was wonderful to us and made us feel welcomed and had let us know the night before that we would need to change our rooms which was fine with me due to ours being booked the night we did not book it. I was happy they could accommodate us. However the next morning when I approached Jay, he had no clue what was going on with our room switch and let me know that he was busy and would get back to me later in the the day. At lunch time, I approached Jay to give him my card to pay for the extra night and he told my friend who was visiting that he didn't have time to assist us once again and would let us know when he was available to discuss our arrangements. Finally at around 3:30, Jay approached our table and told us we needed to move our belongings "now" to the new room. Quite rude as if we had done something wrong. After moving our belongings one wall over to the exact same floor plan, I was given the bill of $322.00 for one Wednesday night. Keep in mind this was a week night, two beds, and 4 people. I inquired about the bill and was told that it was the owners decision to charge double occupancy rate at $40.00 a head above two guests. i let him know I could understand that if we had a one bed but a little steep for two beds. Overall, I was a little underwhelmed with the entire situation and quite disappointed with Jay's lack of customer service especially since he is the manager.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
8 Thank John O
pspsun, Owner at Santiago Resort, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
We have received this guest's review and certainly wish to apologize for any lack of customer service. This entire incident seems to stem from a miscommunication regarding our high-season daily rates. All of our rates are displayed on our websiite. All rates on the website are for single or double occupancy. There is a notification on our RATES page stating clearly a $40 per night extra charge for each guest exceeding double (2-person) occupancy. This guest was charged the March 2014 standard daily rate for his room plus $80 for the 2 extra occupants (plus tax). Again, we apologize for any misuderstandings or perceived lack of customer service.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Tucson, AZ
Reviewed 21 March 2014

First stayed here c '98 in second year of operation under previous owner. We were most favorably impressed and returned every March for several years. After a nine-year hiatus, we returned and were relieved to find that the things we liked were still there (e.g., beautiful landscaping and pool/spa, diligent maintenance and management) and other things had changed: for the better: The already stylish rooms and baths had been upgraded (new carpeting, tile and paint; marbled walls in baths + upgraded showers, new granite vanities, new fixtures, etc.). New mini-fridges and microwaves as well. Breakfast was superb, with bacon and eggs and pancakes on weekends, and fresh fruit, cereal, yogurt, pastries and great coffee (only quibble: they really need to put out a thermal caraffe of coffee for early risers desperately seeking caffeine). Lunch is your choice of savory sandwich or salad from the nearby and excellent Aspen Mills bakery, repleat with chips and oversized cookie, freshly made per your selection and delivered at 1pm. Frozen margarita shots served poolside at the pm were a nice touch. Kudos to Jay and Mark for a class act - we'll be back.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tim in Tucson
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed 28 February 2014

This was my first but not my last visit to this resort, The welcome I received when I arrived was just so wonderful, Jay took me threw the entire resort, Breakfast and lunch included was also very healthy and plentiful. The rooms were beautiful well kept. the entire staff at the resort was always there if you needed anything. I would not hesitate to recommend this wonderful resort I am now planning to go back with friends to enjoy the hospitality that I did experience. Thanks again Jay, Mark, Oscar Gerry Chittle

Room Tip: All rooms are great view of pool and hot tub Enjoy
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank grc12014
Sandy, Utah
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Jay and Mark run this resort with true dedication, meticulous care and personalized attention to detail, making my trip a truly outstanding experience. The room was not only very clean but also well appointed with amenities and decorations. They really thought about everything and put it together with love. The outside areas were wonderfully relaxing and well cared for. Great place to spend a few days, make friends, and enjoy yourself in your birthday suit.

Room Tip: Just ask Jay or Mark. They will make sure you're happy with the room. I requested a quiet room a...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

We just spent 3 nites here and had a great time. The place is nicely kept, well outfitted and has a great spa and pool. Friendly guests....nice hosts Jay and Mark. Mark makes some great banana pancakes and he was a great host while he was there. We used to stay at another place that unfortunately closed and Santiago is the place we would come back to when we return,

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 3 February 2014

My partner and I spent two delightful and relaxing days and nights at the Santiago Resort. We were completely happy with the beautiful grounds, spacious and nicely decorated guestroom, the fact that the swimming pool was heated to a wonderful 86 or so degrees, the ample breakfast buffet, the peaceful ambience, and the friendly professionalism of our host Jay. This resort has a nice low key vibe that suited us very well.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 January 2014

The Santiago resort was a very memorable resort. Jay, Mark and Oscar were the epitome of professionalism. The men staying there were very friendly and ever stimulating. The resort is located below the mountain with a wonderful sunrise and sunset. The pool and hot tub are hubs of social activity. We will definitely return. James (London)

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple