“very nice”
Review of Tortuga del Sol

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Tortuga del Sol
Reviewed 23 December 2007

The Tortuga del Sol is a very nice, small hotel. The owners are on site and couldn't have been more friendly. TdS had the most guests at this time of the season of all the inns on the street. We stayed in the dog-friendly suite. It is pretty large and has a private side yard so the pet can breathe some fresh air. Breakfast is adequate, but not sumptuous. The coffee was very good. The pool is clean as are the grounds. The only downside I experienced is that, unlike the Chase, TdS is not really a pet-friendly hotel. Only one room accepts pets, and your dog must be kept away from the rest of the property. Also, the wireless internet signal is iffy, but we used their office computer with no problems. All in all, worth a try, and no bad experiences.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank stephen_phillips

Reviewed 29 September 2007

This was my second time to Palm Springs and my partner's first. I stayed at another resort back in July, 2004; Desert Paradise. It was OK but not that friendly. Tortuga del Sol, on the other hand, was everything you could hope for if you want a clean, spacious and very warm, friendly and relaxed atmosphere. The hosts, Ricardo and Robert, were so welcoming and available, helpful and caring, that I'd like to be able to think of them as new friends. Bob & Greg

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 September 2007

My partner and I stayed at Tortuga during the 4th of July weekend this year and had a blast! We've been vacationing at Tortuga for five years now, and we really feel wonderfully relaxed and at home there. We love the layout of the property, and we really appreciate the gracious hosts/owners Rick and Rob. We've only stayed at a different resort once during the past five years, and we wish we'd never strayed from Tortuga!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 September 2007

Tortuga del Sol is truly a wonderful place to stay. The first time I stayed in this place was two years ago. I had some time off and I was looking for a place that was far away from the city, (I live in Los Angeles, CA) but close enough that I could drive. First option was Las Vegas, but what I really wanted was to relax and enjoy my stay. I knew that in Vegas I would have to go to a very expensive hotel to do this and that will all the tourist it may be close to impossible. I told a friend of mine and he recommended Tortuga del Sol. I had been to Palm Springs before in camping trips and on my way to Joshua Tree National Forest. He said that it was a gay resort but that it was not a sex-crazed resort and that I would be able to enjoy myself without anyone giving me trouble.
As I arrived the first thing that impressed me was how relaxing the place was. The nice soft music, along with the gentle water from the small turtle pond, and the nice breeze that the rooms get made it a perfect spot. The owners are extremely friendly. Both Ron and Rick welcomed my partner and me and showed us to our room. The rooms where very clean, and the beds felt like clouds from heaven. Not only was the room nice and cool but it was stocked with a very nice TV, micro and fridge, even though we opted for the smallest room. The shower was nice and clean and we were given plenty of towels and a bathrobe for each of us for our stay. Rick informed us of the breakfast and told us that most of the guest get together for afternoon drinks and that we were more than welcome to join.
The grounds in this place are amazing. The lounge chairs were always nice and cool due to their mist system, they have several shaded areas where guest can sit and relax with a book or your iPod and no one bothers you. You want to spend time alone, both Rob and Rick make sure that you. Outside the pool area there are a few nice tables with chairs for you to sit and enjoy some drink or food, next to the pool there are is another long table with chairs and a bar is nearby so if you feel like mixing some drinks you can.
All the facilities were open to us. I even cooked some ribs and both Rick and Rob not only offered their excellent bbq grill but helped out by buying more food for the other guest, which by the way make the place very friendly. There is always someone to talk to, very laid back and interesting people. Both Rick and Rob make it a point that we all meet, which helps create a wonderful atmosphere. I have met several guys that I still keep in touch with. Rick makes afternoon drinks for everyone and all are welcome to join.
The pool is nice and big and clean and the hot tub is great. It seats about 12 people and it is always nice and clean. At night when the breeze cools the place just right, a dip in the tub is the best way to just let go and relax. Clean towels are always nearby and you can be in the pool or the tub as long as you want. Other places close the pool and tubs after 10 pm, here you can enjoy them as long as you don’t make too much noise.
I have been back to Tortuga del Sol five times in the past two years. I keep coming back because just like my friend promised; it is a great place to relax. The owners take care of you like family and they have always made sure that my partner and I enjoy our stay. If you are looking for warm, friendly oasis in the desert, this is it.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank es2577
Reviewed 4 September 2007

My partner and I have been trying different resorts to find the one that we feel most comfortable in. I personally have been going to Palm Springs for the past 8 years and have been to several different resorts.
Tortuga Del Sol is a nice resort in a good location. Its close to downtown Palm Springs and the gay area - Arenas where alot of the gay friendly restaurants and gay clubs are located. We have long since written off the Warm Sands resorts. They are just not for us with the exception of Hacienda, which is in a league of its own.
The resort itself is of course a bit dated, especially the rooms and baths. Perhaps others have been updated, but we didn't get one of them. The owners are very friendly and accomodating. I can't comment on the breakfast, but it looked similar to other resorts - continental breakfast.

OK now for the dirt. Like I said earlier the rooms could really use an update. The baths are very out dated. The picture of the room was a bit misleading in that is seemed larger in the photo that what it really was - good marketing though! My partner is sensitive to dust and unfortunately this room probably needed a good cleaning. The A/C probably had mold in it because he came down with a whopper of a sinus headache/cold and allergies by the end of our stay.
I'm sad to say this isn't the resort for us. Oh I forgot to mention the clientel ranges from 20's to 50's, but seem a bit more cruiser than than expected for a resort on San Lorenzo. So we will continue to look for a resort that keeps us interested in coming back.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank flyguy39
Reviewed 10 April 2007

I am a teacher and just spent an absolutely wonderful spring break with the guys at Tortuga Del Sol. They were exceptionally friendly and were so apt to give advice on places to eat and sites to see while in PS. Rick and Rob were so friendly and every morning had breakfast chats on the patio. I highly recommend the resort to the PS travler.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 July 2006

Stayed here numerous times and for good reason. First, the hosts are friendly, accomodating and fun. The hotel is charming with beautiful fruit trees extensive landscaping, flowers, and a real nice turtle pond along with a dry turtle habitat.
The pool is large. The 10 person jacuzzi is wonderful .The surrounding chaise lounges(with thick fluffy cushions) and seating areas abound . Nice shade areas as well and a large open area to soak up the sun.
The rooms are clean, spacious, and smoke free (which we found to be a great plus). Thick towels, nice flat screen TV, DVD, CD, and VCR. Good flowing air conditioning and ceiling fan (with remote controls )
Breakfast is continental style but has alot of choices, cold, hot cereals, yogurt, fruit, juices, bagels , muffins and cream cheese. coffee , tea, eggs. and jams. ( you will find something to please you)
They also have an extensive set of DVD's and Video's for your viewing pleasures.
For a nice relaxing vacation this is the spot in Palm Springs.
Would definitely stay here again and again.

• Stayed: July 2006