“Basic Gay resort. Very comfortable!”
Review of Tortuga del Sol

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Tortuga del Sol
“Basic Gay resort. Very comfortable!”
Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

A friend and I stayed one night at the Tortuga Del Sol. Check in with Rob was very easy and we were given the best room in the resort at a reduced rate because it was Tuesday and there was only one other guest. I am sure the place is packed on the weekend. Our room was clean and in good repair, but dated. It wasn't modern or fabulous, but it was clean and a great value. The property has a nice pool with beautiful views of the mountains and there is a gas grill, which we took advantage of. Overall, if you are looking for a basic gay hotel I would definitely recommend it.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Berkeley, California
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I spent 5 nights at Tortuga Del Sol, and was very pleased with my experience. Although the place is not super fancy, it's quite pleasant, clean and comfortable, and I loved the bed in my room. The pool and spa area are quite nice and well maintained. Plus the place is a good bargain.
Ric and Rob, the owners, were good hosts. Things were a bit slow when I came (late September ), so I didn't meet many other people there, but it was the off season . The continental breakfast they serve is nothing special, but it's okay to start your day. You can walk to the downtown area from here, but it is a bit of a hike. Another plus is that they have a decent DVD library and it was also nice to have a little fridge in my room. I understand some of the rooms have full kitchens. Recommended.

Room Tip: Room 3 is very quiet and back from the pool area.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Kalaheo, Hawaii
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We just finished our third stay at Tortuga. Over the last 8 years this has been our choice for Palm Springs accommodations serving the gay community. The vibe feels right to us. It's friendly and relaxed with nice hosts (Rob and Ric). We usually prefer the larger Hacienda room category with full kitchen. Housekeeping is exceptional and the grounds are well maintained. King bed with pillow top mattress was very comfortable. Air conditioning is individually controlled and keeps the main room cool but doesn't reach the kitchen. The pool and spa are available 24 hours a day. We usually stay here in August (great off season rates) and it's always been quiet. The only issue we had was with WiFi - sometimes there was no connection. There is a free guest terminal in the lobby that is wired and available during office hours. I'm giving them an extra star because we always enjoy our stay here.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2013

We have stayed here numerous times over the past 8 years and Ric and Rob are probably the best resort owners we've met. The place is gorgeous and well maintained. The pool area is spotless and continuously cleaned as is the Hot Tub.

Continental breakfast is OK considering the limitations they are given. The other guests are always so friendly that we usually do our own BBQ with everyone where we all pitch in $5 and make Burgers or Chicken and the owners join us... you can tell they enjoy running this place after all these years.

The rooms are decent and very clean. They go the extra mile. Older clientele usually stays here and this is not a slutty day pass place, so if that is what you are looking for, there are other options in Palm Springs for that.

Only small minus is that they don't have a fitness center but had no problem finding a place to go.

If you want a friendly place, look no further.
We will be back again... and again.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 27 June 2013

The owners are super friendly reminds me more of a bed and breakfast with personalized attention. Great place to relax and soak in the sun. Resort is super clean and well maintained. Location is great. I've stayed at many resorts in Palm Springs and this has to be one of the best.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Sunnyvale, California
Reviewed 6 April 2013 via mobile

The garden is very relaxing, the swimming pool is spot clean and nice, rooms have everything a traveler need to enjoy vacations.

The owners are a kind and very friendly guys, they have a really friendly attitude to customers

the patio with the oranges trees are very inviting place to hang out and relax.

very clean and gay friendly reasort. it feel more like home away from home rather an commercial brand hotel where you are just a customer and nothing else. like be between family

• Stayed March 2013
Goteed1
Reviewed 2 April 2013

I spent a weekend here and needed to stay on a budget, so I grabbed one of the $99 rooms. I think this may have been the cheapest room in the city!

The room is a little bit small, but was packed with stuff, like a fridge, freezer, microwave, coffee maker, so it had everything you would need. It was located in no man's land in the back of the resort and had a small window, so it was a little dark. Also, this place will not be winning any design awards in the near future. It's a mish mash of your crazy aunt's southwestern kitsch from about 3 different generations. But it was comfortable and clean and did the trick.

The public area is nice and big and has a great pool with plenty of lounging room for all, although again, more of the crazy southwest kitsch all over the place.

Owners were nice, and offered a very generous happy hour on Sat nite. Continental breakfast was your VERY basic Costco muffins and a few other items.

I put the sign on my door for room service, but the cleaning guy never even went near my cave, so no room service all weekend. I'm guessing the reason they can offer a $99 room is that there really are no service personnel on site. Ash trays remained full all weekend, the cleaning guy made a guest appearance in the morning for some of the rooms and dissappeared.

If you're looking for an upscale experience, this is clearly not your place, but if you're on a budget and keep your expectations in check, this place could be a good deal.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends