“Fun and friendly resort”
Review of Tortuga del Sol

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Tortuga del Sol
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Had a great stay recently-my second this year- felt at home and pampered by the owners and staff. Comfortable, cozy and warm hospitality extended to all. Looking forward to the next visit.
The pet friendly option is very convenient for those of us who have a dog-and we took advantage of it.

Room Tip: The " pet friendly" room at the end is farther from the pool but still close and has the m...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Manuel C

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Comfortable rooms at a reasonable price. It's one of the best deals I've found in PS, especially for a single room without a kitchen. The owners are great -- friendly and helpful. The breakfast is fine. And there always seem to be fun guests staying there for enjoyable social interaction. And even though it's on the south side of the canal, it's still close enough to downtown PS to easily walk. If you're looking for a modern 5-star hotel, you won't be happy. But if you're looking for a good deal on a nice comfortable friendly place, this place is great.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Bob C
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I feel conflicted about this review and providing only three stars when there are other less deserving properties that are even more overrated but I have come to expect that most reviewers on this site are less discerning or do not understand what "5 stars" actually means. The property is lovely and the host was quite warm and welcoming when we stopped by in advance of our stay to review the property. While nothing was misrepresented (I approached it with the expectation that most of the 5 star reviews were overrated), I had hoped for more concerning their pet policy (I was traveling with my dog). Allowing one unit to cater to customers with canine companions is certainly a convenience and a value to those of us who travel with our dogs but it does not make a property "pet-friendly". I know all about leash laws and other legal limits and where a business could be exposed. I also know that there are other guests who might not be "pet friendly" and would prefer to stay at a property that doesn't welcome pets much the same way I see added value in an adult-only property. That being said, if I stay at a property that allows kids and I find it disruptive, it is not something I hold the property accountable for....

So on our review, I learned that the property (or the one room) was really more pet tolerant and that my dog would have to be leashed and accompanied at all times and was not to be anywhere near the pool at any time for fear that it was "against the law" and that it could "disturb other guests".

I want to restate that the host was quite warm and was most accommodating when he saw that I was disappointed to learn that I could not cancel my reservation (without penalty). He contacted me shortly after I left and had another guest who was interested in my room and offered to release me (without penalty) from the reservation.

When traveling without my pet in looking for a clothing-optional intimate property that is insulated from women, kids and heterosexuals, I'm sure there is none better in Palm Springs but for a traveler with a pet who is looking for the amenities, appointments and detail that qualify a property as a true "5 Star" experience, Tortuga del Sol is not the best option.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank imnipper
Reviewed 1 January 2014

My husband and I celebrated our wedding anniversary at Tortuga Del Sol. Property is clean and well kept. Rooms are clean and well maintained. Bed was extremely comfortable. Friendly and very accommodating staff. Heated pool was kept very clean, as was the hot tub. Quiet, friendly and welcoming atmosphere. Would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: For a spacious experience, and save money on food, choose a suite with a mini or full kitchen.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 November 2013

I'm a single middle aged guy who occasionally takes off for Palm Springs, looking for reasonable accomodations in a gay resort. Tortuga del Sol worked perfectly for me. It's small, the clientele was older and very mellow, the owner was friendly but not intrusive, and I enjoyed my small room.
It's probably not for everyone: the pink 1950's bathroom was charmingly retro to me, but might seem old and in need of refurbishing to someone else. But for the very reasonable nightly room rate, the simple serve-yourself breakfast, spotless pool area and room, and proximity to town suited me perfectly.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank james j
Reviewed 14 November 2013

We only spent a weekend here but it was a very nice stay.The owners greeted us upon arrival and showed us around. The rooms were clean and the hotel common areas were nice. A great pool and hot tub as well.
the bathroom could have used a little update as it was a bit dated but I think the owners are doing them as time and money permits.
Rick and Rob the owners are great hosts and were a lot of fun at the Halloween party they put on.
the value was great and would defiantly return.
we really enjoyed are stay here

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

A friend and I stayed one night at the Tortuga Del Sol. Check in with Rob was very easy and we were given the best room in the resort at a reduced rate because it was Tuesday and there was only one other guest. I am sure the place is packed on the weekend. Our room was clean and in good repair, but dated. It wasn't modern or fabulous, but it was clean and a great value. The property has a nice pool with beautiful views of the mountains and there is a gas grill, which we took advantage of. Overall, if you are looking for a basic gay hotel I would definitely recommend it.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends