“Nice option in Palm Springs”
Review of Tortuga del Sol

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Tortuga del Sol
Austin, Texas, United States
“Nice option in Palm Springs”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I stayed here a couple of nights on a short trip to PS in August. Nice property and room was very clean. First time to stay at one of the gay resorts on San Lorenzo and really like the area. It is less "active" than the Warm Sands area but that's fine by me. Have to say that the king bed in my room was the best I've ever slept on at a gay resort.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Rodney B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Azusa, California
Reviewed 4 July 2014

This is a well maintained albeit dowdy and tired gay men’s resort that caters to older guys, especially Canadians in the spring fleeing winter. (They offer special plans for extended stays.) Disregard the website that portrays this as a happening place for randy young muscle boys. It is not.

The owner couple is conscientious and the vibe is generally quiet and respectful. Rooms range from kitchen equipped to a couple of smaller, budget rooms in the back that nonetheless are packed with microwaves, fridge and anything you might need. This is a quiet and friendly venue for the older gentleman to relax amongst like-minded men.

The only complaint we had involved the apparently chronic insect problem they have. Notes posted indicated that drains were to be closed at all times to prevent bugs from entering the room as well as attempts to patch holes where bugs apparently entered via plumbing Obviously there was major extermination going on prior to our stay and our room had a sickening, over-powering stench of insecticide. It must have been bombed just before we arrived. I complained to both owners who dutifully came to investigate and proclaimed they smelled nothing. (!) In the future I would hope the owners would completely air out a room before renting it.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Peter O
El Monte, California, United States
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I wanted a place where it wasn't going to be too cruisey, where I can relax naked by the pool, and most of all a place that had personality. And this place is it. I arrived a little early, but the owner was nice about letting me check in before 4pm. He showed me around the property, the turtles, the cozy hammock, and finally my room. I believe I got the studio room, complete with kitchenette. Oh and pool facing, most not forget about that, it was a really nice view out my window. Walking into my room was like walking into a piece of the southwest, which in my opinion gives it character. Other places are either run down or looks hoity toity. Comfortable beds, pink shower curtains, blue toilet if I remember correctly, and large closet completed the room.

Will I come back, hell yeah for sure :)

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Kevin L
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Had a great stay recently-my second this year- felt at home and pampered by the owners and staff. Comfortable, cozy and warm hospitality extended to all. Looking forward to the next visit.
The pet friendly option is very convenient for those of us who have a dog-and we took advantage of it.

Room Tip: The " pet friendly" room at the end is farther from the pool but still close and has the m...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Manuel C
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Comfortable rooms at a reasonable price. It's one of the best deals I've found in PS, especially for a single room without a kitchen. The owners are great -- friendly and helpful. The breakfast is fine. And there always seem to be fun guests staying there for enjoyable social interaction. And even though it's on the south side of the canal, it's still close enough to downtown PS to easily walk. If you're looking for a modern 5-star hotel, you won't be happy. But if you're looking for a good deal on a nice comfortable friendly place, this place is great.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Bob C
long beach, ca
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I feel conflicted about this review and providing only three stars when there are other less deserving properties that are even more overrated but I have come to expect that most reviewers on this site are less discerning or do not understand what "5 stars" actually means. The property is lovely and the host was quite warm and welcoming when we stopped by in advance of our stay to review the property. While nothing was misrepresented (I approached it with the expectation that most of the 5 star reviews were overrated), I had hoped for more concerning their pet policy (I was traveling with my dog). Allowing one unit to cater to customers with canine companions is certainly a convenience and a value to those of us who travel with our dogs but it does not make a property "pet-friendly". I know all about leash laws and other legal limits and where a business could be exposed. I also know that there are other guests who might not be "pet friendly" and would prefer to stay at a property that doesn't welcome pets much the same way I see added value in an adult-only property. That being said, if I stay at a property that allows kids and I find it disruptive, it is not something I hold the property accountable for....

So on our review, I learned that the property (or the one room) was really more pet tolerant and that my dog would have to be leashed and accompanied at all times and was not to be anywhere near the pool at any time for fear that it was "against the law" and that it could "disturb other guests".

I want to restate that the host was quite warm and was most accommodating when he saw that I was disappointed to learn that I could not cancel my reservation (without penalty). He contacted me shortly after I left and had another guest who was interested in my room and offered to release me (without penalty) from the reservation.

When traveling without my pet in looking for a clothing-optional intimate property that is insulated from women, kids and heterosexuals, I'm sure there is none better in Palm Springs but for a traveler with a pet who is looking for the amenities, appointments and detail that qualify a property as a true "5 Star" experience, Tortuga del Sol is not the best option.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank imnipper
San Ramon, California
Reviewed 1 January 2014

My husband and I celebrated our wedding anniversary at Tortuga Del Sol. Property is clean and well kept. Rooms are clean and well maintained. Bed was extremely comfortable. Friendly and very accommodating staff. Heated pool was kept very clean, as was the hot tub. Quiet, friendly and welcoming atmosphere. Would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: For a spacious experience, and save money on food, choose a suite with a mini or full kitchen.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple